Need help with response for a review

Ugh, I JUST NOW got a review from one of these types. I should have known, and declined with the very first red flag from this brand-new profile, which was this message that came attached to her booking request: “It took me over an hour to book usinf airbnb app. I wonder if people give up and look elsewhere.”

Here is my listing where you can see her review at the top along with all of the others we’ve received over the years we’ve been doing this: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1931087

I need help with a response. She did not communicate once with me during her four night stay, did not acknowledge anything I messaged to her during her trip. I only wish I’d reviewed her now, at least to say she was non-communicative…sigh.

Here is the lovely private feedback I received:

Thanks! Yes, probably a good idea, I appreciate it! Ugh. I knew one was coming one of these days. My first one-star… :disappointed:

Sorry Natalie, I cannot really suggest what to put in the review, but I just wanted to say her review borders on offensive.
Sounds like she is a high maintenance guest (it is not your fault that it took her an hour to book) and I am sorry you got an unfavorable review. Hopefully it will soon be buried under new positive reviews.

3 Likes

But because I didn’t review her, her review of my place won’t show up on her profile. The extension only works if there’s a host review to tie it to.

SO MAD AT MYSELF FOR NOT REVIEWING HER! :weary:

1 Like

I’m going to take new photos tomorrow after my currrent (lovely) guests leave. The place looks much better now than it did several years ago when these photos were taken by air. Usually people appreciate the difference (underpromise/overdeliver) but I guess there’s always that one person…

Couldn’t even make coffee??? I have a keurig and provide k-cups!

Just poured myself a glass of wine. Sigh.

I just scrolled through my notes and realized that this is the guest who also hid my guestbook. I eventually found it during cleaning but now it all makes sense…

Nasty, nasty, nasty … sadly, some people just are. Nothing to suggest except that her review says much more about her than it does about you, and most sensible future guests will see that. If it wasn’t that we know Air doesn’t take reviews down I’d suggest complaining to them …

3 Likes

Even as i’m typing my mouth is hanging open in shock! That is horrible! I agree with konacoconutz. I would respond, but not defensive.
I think your place is stunning! Some people really do not understand character. I just recently sold my 100 yr old character home and some people got it and loved the place as I did and some… you could tell that they just don’t get the richness of character and the beautiful wood, etc. I can’t imagine how someone could write such a horrible review! Sorry you have to deal with that. Wow

Thanks, you guys. I have a few guest reviews pending that I’m pretty sure will be great (judging by the guestbook that I was able to put back out after she’d hid it) that I’m going to write right now. And I have 30 days to respond so I’m going to simmer for a bit first. My gut tells me to just respond with “Wow.” but I will hold off. LOL.

1 Like

So sorry but yes, guests reveal themselves in their messages. I just had one like this who inquired for a booking this Thursday and immediately complained about the Airbnb cancellation policy and could I waive it as she wasn’t sure of her plans and she then proceeded to ask me questions about the listing that are clearly in my description if she would only have read it.
Since it was an inquiry, I immediately blocked the day she was asking about and told her it was just booked and I have no control over Airbnb policies.
Then I went to her profile and blocked her. I’m pretty sure we dodged a bullet. She has one review (apologetic host) and left a negative review for her first stay as she left early due to a barking dog in the neighborhood.
This is why we don’t have instant book.

2 Likes

Well, she did mention this when I asked what brings her to Oak Park (after explaining that I have no control over the payment options Airbnb offers):

“I grew up on Chicago and my three sisters live in the area. My youngest sister is celebrating her 60th birthday and we are surprising her with our presence.”

Sooooo…you could be onto something there. But if this is a local competition thing, I am one of the main reasons (through civic action) why Airbnb has stayed legit here. Her messages were always riddled with typos, so I’m not sure if she grew up ON Chicago (street three blocks away) or IN Chicago…

1 Like

I would not review at all. She’s obviously a nutter and that will be apparent to other potential guests.

3 Likes

I think I may just let it go. I have plenty of time to change my mind, but really, it’s not going to prove anything either way. I’m just irritated. There goes superhost for October. Not that it matters…

1 Like

Very good idea. Don’t dignify it with reply - it’s not worthy. Plus, in practical terms, a reply will simply draw attention to it. All your other reviews are great and you don’t regularly respond to reviews. Sorry that you got such a shitty guest, it stings. But, as kona said, be glad that you didn’t give them a nice review because then the sting is much worse!
Your place is great and people love it.
FYI, because of the random ordering of reviews (that most hosts hate) her review appears on page two for me when i look at your listing.
As the great hosting phrase goes: Whatever. Next!

3 Likes

I think I will just let it go (we’ll see; that may change).

I do think I will send her a private message saying that I read her review and wish she would have alerted me to any (perceived) issues during her four night stay. She will likely not respond, as she never did during her stay (she was the impetus for this post: Lately, a lack of communication from guests in whole-home rentals

180 5* reviews and one wacko. I’d ignore her and pour a larger glass of wine. :wine_glass:

You are doing well! She, on the other hand … Her first five words are an attack and make her look like a nut job. She seems to have some unresolved issues bouncing around in her noggin!

Hold your head up and be proud, you have a beautiful place and beautiful reviews!

1 Like

“We invite all future guests to please read our other 180+ 5-star reviews. Our photos and our description are totally accurate. We take great pride in providing a comfortable and clean property at a very reasonable rate.”

4 Likes

You guys! I just sent her this. There will, of course, be no response, but it made ME feel better. And that’s what counts…right?

Hi Jacqueline,

_I just read your review and am severely troubled by the issues you mentioned. _

_I was assured you’d had a nice stay here, since I never heard as much as a peep from you during the four days you spent here and I do make a note on check-in to please let me know immediately if anything is amiss. _

_I wish you had informed me; though I do clean everything myself, I suppose there is a chance I could have missed something. _

Natalie

1 Like

bad move.
but what’s done is done.