Oh what to say about this guest

Well I feel like their moms failed to teach them how to act, and now they are teaching their kids how not to act…

RR

1 Like

:smiley: I am at work at the moment (I’m the owner so I can be online too LOL) so I was searching for the right wording. Maybe “Took full advantage of the complimentary extras” might be a better way to put it. I would want to know if they were the type to devour/use up everything in sight. I leave out a variety for my guests so they have some choices, but I do hope they tend towards good manners of not using it all, and all but one guest has. If I knew this high consumption was a possibility I would put out less.

3 Likes

I’d probably give them a reasonable review with a 3 for cleanliness. I would still have them back and I would be sure to mention that all dishes should be cleaned before checkout since it’s not in your house rules (it IS in my house rules, BTW)

I think they’re treating the freebies like a hotel. Some people just take all the soaps, shampoos, tea, etc. because they’re free. Maybe they also think they are getting some of their money back for paying top dollar, but you don’t know that. I wouldn’t even bring it up, but it seems like hosts here do want to know about guests that do this.

2 Likes

I know to expect that everything I leave out will be used, if I leave out 4 tea towels they will use 4, but if I leave out 2 they never go in the drawer and use more. I put the extras out with the same expectations, except that when the guests took it all I took it personally. I failed to keep it in perspective, it’s a numbers game and it’s not personal.

3 Likes

I would not bring it up either, I mentioned it to put everything in context,

This is a reasonable approach.

Thanks new guy

RR

1 Like

RR, so I have that nagging doubt about the …well not so free ‘freebies’. In another post you specified the quantity:

RiverRockRetreatRegular

25d

I always leave the same stuff, 4 coffee pods, 4 packages microwave popcorn, 4 instant oatmeals, bottled (glass reusable) and fresh eggs from my chickens. My place is 250-300 a night and up to 500 for event pricing.

Hmmh, for 2 moms and 4 kids …for all your groups …me and partner would go through the 4 pods in a heartbeat, especially with kids around.

1 Like

The coffee almost always is finished off. I actually had 6 pods out this time not sure why, when I refilled I went down to 4 again. I started bringing coffee with me to hotels there is never enough.

RR

I’m sure everyone will disagree with me, but I think that $400 is a significant chunk of money for one night. The guests did not break any rules so I don’t see why the review should be critical of them. If the host expects (a) dishes to be washed and put away, (b) freebies not to be used or taken away, etc, then it needs to be clearly spelled out even if appropriate and “normal” behavior should be common sense…

5 Likes

I’m with you. The only reason to be critical is the “greasy mess.” It’s subjective, but if a seasoned host says this, I’m inclined to think that cleanliness in the kitchen is much worse than average.

I do expect that what is put out will be used, I just have never had anyone use everything like this group did. I took it personally and I should not have. I do expect dishes washed but I am not going to put it in my rules its common sense and most people do.

You are right, 400+ is a lot for one night. Do you think that gives the guests a sense of entitlement? I paid over $400 including a cleaning fee I aint cleaning sh t…
Maybe it does, for these guests but thankfully most of my guests wash the dishes.

RR

Yes, the grease in the pan in the sink was THICK, gross. I will leave a balanced review.

One thing that is great about this forum is the ability to blow of steam and vent before actually writing the review…

RR

5 Likes

Sure, I’d hate to deal with a greasy, disgusting kitchen but different people have different standards so that if we expect guests to leave things a certain way, we need to clearly outline such standards in the rules. Besides, if we don’t want to deal with greasy sinks, lipstick stains on pillowcases and so on, we should be in the business of renting bikes and not in the business of renting properties – am I wrong? Also, and I’ve mentioned it before, $400 is a big sticker price and guests might pay it with the expectation that they will not have to do the dull stuff that they do at their own homes, namely, clean after themselves. I know my view will not be popular…

2 Likes

Yes it is, I was happy to get the extra money for the early check in and late check out. I Think that the price they paid does have something to do with how these guests left the place. They felt entitled to leave a mess. Thankfully most guests are better than this set.

In the end the housekeeper will get the tough job of cleaning up the stove and pans, I am doing the laundry to offset the housekeepers work load and I made $75 more for the night on the early check in and late checkout which is gravy.

I really have nothing to complain about:)

RR

@RiverRock if you “have nothing to complain about”, then know in your heart that the guests were slobs but (a) they did not break rules and (b) you were fairly compensated. So it’s all good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, we don’t really know that, either. This guest might also leave a $120/night rental in the same condition. For the benefit of future hosts, an objective review of how the guest left the kitchen is still reasonable, but it’s still @RiverRock 's call.

1 Like

@Brian_R170 Well, let’s hope that hosts who expect a clean kitchen and only charge $100 will ensure to add the proper language in the rules :slight_smile:

Nobody reads the rules…

RR

Here’s one way to review…this is from a guest that I left a glowing review for when she staid with me right after, ironically, but that was because of this review being there and I was able to make sure she agreed there would be no repeats before booking. SO, i that respect, I was glad for being able to read the host’s review.

“Friendly guest was very nice when we met with her and communicative. We are able to keep our Airbnb at an inexpensive price without a cleaning fee. Typically guests reciprocate by leaving the place fairly clean. Our unit was left smelling like tobacco with dog food on the floor and the bathtub with sand in it. It made for the most difficult turnover yet.”

Also, perhaps ironically, this host is the dame host that one of my cancellation guests went to after i enforced my House Rules of requiring a copy of her dog’s vaccinations in order to be able to interact with mine and use my dog facilities instead of just her bedroom. She was a veterinarian that felt holier than though and got Airbnb to give her a full refund ($133 for 3 nights). Airbnb gave me my full payout…$70.81…hmmmm…looks like I didn’t get a full payout afterall…they only gave me the payout of a cancellation on day of check in. I might follow up on this one) (minus pet fees since the dog never arrived, which is fine) however as well.

My place is not cheap and I charge a cleaning fee. And as these last guests have shown me, some will feel entitled to leave a mess. Thankfully most of the time people leave the place in decent shape.

RR

Oh, right. sorry. How about…I don’t have it in my house rules not to leave greasy dishes and a greasy mess in the kitchen because I have never had a guest do this…until this one.