Oh what to say about this guest

So I had a one night stay, new profile no reviews 2 moms 4 kids asked could they come early and stay late, I told them what the fee’s would be for that sent them a special offer and they booked.

They call me 2 hours before the 2 hour early check in, while I am shoveling the snow off the steps and tell me how Google maps led them astray, the got stuck and a tow truck is coming can they please come early the kids are cold and wet.
I said sure, I am here now. I call Steve the tow truck driver and tell him where to bring them (small town) and soon they are here.

They told me how nice the place is and thanked me for allowing them in early, I showed them a few things, looked the kids in the eyes and told them to be mindful of my nice wood tables and use coasters finished up the shoveling and left them.

They checked out at the agreed time and I came right over, omg what a f ing mess, the furniture had been moved around, the sink had dirty GREASY pans, the stove is a greasy mess. Every dish in the house was used and the dishwasher running, overflow in the sink.

EVERY free item was gone or used, 4 toothbrush kits used, woo-hoo free toothbrushes, all the coffees. teas, hot chocolates and instant oatmeals, gone. The place was otherwise messy with no damage.

Most of the time the freebies go untouched, so I really do not care that they used or took it all but it goes to their character.

They paid good money for the 1 night with the extra charges for early and late checkout it was over $400 I think they felt entitled to leave a mess since Air calls my preparation fee a cleaning fee! Grrr

They thanked me via text as leaving and promised me a great review.

I would not host them again based on the greasy mess alone. But my house rules do not tell them to wash the pots and pans, yet every other guest has washed them without it being in the unread rules.

How would YOU review them? What is important to know for the next host?

RR

But the point is…

I just expect guests to be respectful and clean people. I think that we have every right to expect that?

The only thing that’s important to me here is that they left a mess. Because I use IB I’d host her but I’d mention her previous review - ‘I saw in your previous review that you left RR’s place in a mess. I’m sure that you’re going to help me out and not do that here?’ I think I’d be inclined to put it in the Airbnb message system.

4 Likes

“XX and XX with 4 children stayed one night. Approved early check in, late check out. They took full advantage of the free extras. Left the sink full of greasy pots and pans and filled the dishwasher as well. The house was very messy but no damage. Regretfully, they are not welcome back.” 3 stars or less on cleanliness and House Rules and of course a resounding NO on would you host again. I seriously do NOT want this group in my house and we are attractive to just this demographic.

5 Likes

They did not break any house rules, just the rules of decency and respect!

RR

2 Likes

You are SOOOOO much nicer than I am! it is in my House Rules to do the dishes. I do not charge a “cleaning fee” I gently worked it into my overall rates and extra person charges.

2 Likes

I do not charge for extra guests, the cabin sleeps 6 and I will not allow more than that. I wish Air would allow me to call my fee a preparation fee like every other platform.

RR

3 Likes

I wish I knew how to put into words how I feel about this statement. Like they aren’t really free if it is notable that they are gone/used. Just sharing thoughts, not saying you are wrong or that I don’t feel the same.

So this is the crux of the matter and what I would put in a review.

1 Like

I know, its a tough one the stuff is there to be used, but when they use or take it ALL it feels like they are just being tacky. I do not intend to mention it in the review.

RR

2 Likes

I feel 'ya! I have extras that don’t have a price but we say it’s there IF YOU NEED IT/FORGOT YOURS. I completely agree it’s tacky to clean them all out no matter the price. I would probably write a review along these lines: "XX and XX with 4 children stayed one night. Approved early check in, late check out. Left the sink full of greasy pots and pans as the dishwasher was full. The house was very messy but no damage. Would not recommend them to other hosts.”

3 Likes

Something like this?

“I was happy to open early for my two guests and their 4 children when they had car trouble, and I appreciate their thanking me. The guests were pleasant and polite in their interactions with me. I did have to spend some extra time and effort cleaning and restocking guest supplies after check out.”

That would give me fair warning that this group was a bit of a handful. I’d say they were ignorant rather than malicious, yes?

If so inclined, you might educate them by giving them private feedback for future stays on Airbnb. Because hosts don’t have the staff and financial resources of hotels, it’s generally expected that guests leave dishes and kitchens clean, and use only the supplies needed during their stay.

6 Likes

I started out wanting to be tougher on your guests, but I’m a mom, and I remembered when my kids were young --trying to do group outings with another mom and rambunctious kiddos in an unfamiliar place. I would probably have been trying to break into your liquor cabinet . . .

7 Likes

That seems to be a bit of a contradiction. I only leave things that guests are welcome to use. By the same token, when I’m a guest I expect that everything that’s left out is available for my use. I wouldn’t mention a guest using everything in the review.

3 Likes

Well I feel like their moms failed to teach them how to act, and now they are teaching their kids how not to act…

RR

1 Like

:smiley: I am at work at the moment (I’m the owner so I can be online too LOL) so I was searching for the right wording. Maybe “Took full advantage of the complimentary extras” might be a better way to put it. I would want to know if they were the type to devour/use up everything in sight. I leave out a variety for my guests so they have some choices, but I do hope they tend towards good manners of not using it all, and all but one guest has. If I knew this high consumption was a possibility I would put out less.

3 Likes

I’d probably give them a reasonable review with a 3 for cleanliness. I would still have them back and I would be sure to mention that all dishes should be cleaned before checkout since it’s not in your house rules (it IS in my house rules, BTW)

I think they’re treating the freebies like a hotel. Some people just take all the soaps, shampoos, tea, etc. because they’re free. Maybe they also think they are getting some of their money back for paying top dollar, but you don’t know that. I wouldn’t even bring it up, but it seems like hosts here do want to know about guests that do this.

2 Likes

I know to expect that everything I leave out will be used, if I leave out 4 tea towels they will use 4, but if I leave out 2 they never go in the drawer and use more. I put the extras out with the same expectations, except that when the guests took it all I took it personally. I failed to keep it in perspective, it’s a numbers game and it’s not personal.

3 Likes

I would not bring it up either, I mentioned it to put everything in context,

This is a reasonable approach.

Thanks new guy

RR

1 Like

RR, so I have that nagging doubt about the …well not so free ‘freebies’. In another post you specified the quantity:

RiverRockRetreatRegular

25d

I always leave the same stuff, 4 coffee pods, 4 packages microwave popcorn, 4 instant oatmeals, bottled (glass reusable) and fresh eggs from my chickens. My place is 250-300 a night and up to 500 for event pricing.

Hmmh, for 2 moms and 4 kids …for all your groups …me and partner would go through the 4 pods in a heartbeat, especially with kids around.

1 Like

The coffee almost always is finished off. I actually had 6 pods out this time not sure why, when I refilled I went down to 4 again. I started bringing coffee with me to hotels there is never enough.

RR

I’m sure everyone will disagree with me, but I think that $400 is a significant chunk of money for one night. The guests did not break any rules so I don’t see why the review should be critical of them. If the host expects (a) dishes to be washed and put away, (b) freebies not to be used or taken away, etc, then it needs to be clearly spelled out even if appropriate and “normal” behavior should be common sense…

5 Likes