Oh what to say about this guest

I’m with you. The only reason to be critical is the “greasy mess.” It’s subjective, but if a seasoned host says this, I’m inclined to think that cleanliness in the kitchen is much worse than average.

I do expect that what is put out will be used, I just have never had anyone use everything like this group did. I took it personally and I should not have. I do expect dishes washed but I am not going to put it in my rules its common sense and most people do.

You are right, 400+ is a lot for one night. Do you think that gives the guests a sense of entitlement? I paid over $400 including a cleaning fee I aint cleaning sh t…
Maybe it does, for these guests but thankfully most of my guests wash the dishes.

RR

Yes, the grease in the pan in the sink was THICK, gross. I will leave a balanced review.

One thing that is great about this forum is the ability to blow of steam and vent before actually writing the review…

RR

5 Likes

Sure, I’d hate to deal with a greasy, disgusting kitchen but different people have different standards so that if we expect guests to leave things a certain way, we need to clearly outline such standards in the rules. Besides, if we don’t want to deal with greasy sinks, lipstick stains on pillowcases and so on, we should be in the business of renting bikes and not in the business of renting properties – am I wrong? Also, and I’ve mentioned it before, $400 is a big sticker price and guests might pay it with the expectation that they will not have to do the dull stuff that they do at their own homes, namely, clean after themselves. I know my view will not be popular…

2 Likes

Yes it is, I was happy to get the extra money for the early check in and late check out. I Think that the price they paid does have something to do with how these guests left the place. They felt entitled to leave a mess. Thankfully most guests are better than this set.

In the end the housekeeper will get the tough job of cleaning up the stove and pans, I am doing the laundry to offset the housekeepers work load and I made $75 more for the night on the early check in and late checkout which is gravy.

I really have nothing to complain about:)

RR

@RiverRock if you “have nothing to complain about”, then know in your heart that the guests were slobs but (a) they did not break rules and (b) you were fairly compensated. So it’s all good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, we don’t really know that, either. This guest might also leave a $120/night rental in the same condition. For the benefit of future hosts, an objective review of how the guest left the kitchen is still reasonable, but it’s still @RiverRock 's call.

1 Like

@Brian_R170 Well, let’s hope that hosts who expect a clean kitchen and only charge $100 will ensure to add the proper language in the rules :slight_smile:

Nobody reads the rules…

RR

Here’s one way to review…this is from a guest that I left a glowing review for when she staid with me right after, ironically, but that was because of this review being there and I was able to make sure she agreed there would be no repeats before booking. SO, i that respect, I was glad for being able to read the host’s review.

“Friendly guest was very nice when we met with her and communicative. We are able to keep our Airbnb at an inexpensive price without a cleaning fee. Typically guests reciprocate by leaving the place fairly clean. Our unit was left smelling like tobacco with dog food on the floor and the bathtub with sand in it. It made for the most difficult turnover yet.”

Also, perhaps ironically, this host is the dame host that one of my cancellation guests went to after i enforced my House Rules of requiring a copy of her dog’s vaccinations in order to be able to interact with mine and use my dog facilities instead of just her bedroom. She was a veterinarian that felt holier than though and got Airbnb to give her a full refund ($133 for 3 nights). Airbnb gave me my full payout…$70.81…hmmmm…looks like I didn’t get a full payout afterall…they only gave me the payout of a cancellation on day of check in. I might follow up on this one) (minus pet fees since the dog never arrived, which is fine) however as well.

My place is not cheap and I charge a cleaning fee. And as these last guests have shown me, some will feel entitled to leave a mess. Thankfully most of the time people leave the place in decent shape.

RR

Oh, right. sorry. How about…I don’t have it in my house rules not to leave greasy dishes and a greasy mess in the kitchen because I have never had a guest do this…until this one.

We should not have to have common sense stuff in the house rules, which do not get read anyway. I expect a certain standard and I know most will live up to it but not all.

RR

1 Like

You are correct that we SHOULDN’T have to. But since I have a bunch of what have been referred to in another thread “idiots that don’t follow house rules” I also assess fines for not following them o I at least get paid for my troubles. May not be saomething you want to do with your much higher priced listing. Mine are very budget.

1 Like

I think @AvaH gave you a good start on your review. She said "“XX and XX with 4 children stayed one night. Approved early check in, late check out. They took full advantage of the free extras. Left the sink full of greasy pots and pans and filled the dishwasher as well. The house was very messy but no damage. Regretfully, they are not welcome back.”

I might word it like this:
“Mom and Mon and 4 children stayed just one night. They left a greasy stove, a sink full of greasy pots and pans, and an overflowing dishwasher. Although they thankfully didn’t damage anything, they left the place an absolute mess. Regretfully, they are not welcome back.”

3 Likes

Unless you spell it out that you require dishes to be done then there some individuals believe that the cleaning fee means that the host will do the dishes, cleaning the stove, taking out the garbage etc. Was the weather bad that maybe they had planned on taking the kids out for breakfast or dinner but didn’t want to get stuck again so they ate the oatmeal, drank the hot chocolate etc because they didn’t have a choice? Could they have forgotten their toothbrushes? I mean honestly this is the one thing I tend to forget. If it was me I would have say something to the effect that although they didn’t break any house rules per se it would have been appreciated if they had not left dishes to be done and the furniture had not been moved. I would also say that if you are offended if people use your freebies don’t leave them. Now if you have a big coffee drinker (guilty here) I can go thru a lot of coffee in one day and will substitute tea if I have to especially if I have just been stuck in a snow drift and had to have my car towed. Cleaning Fee/Preparation fee are the same thing no matter how your phrase it, if you clean before or after a guest your home needs to cleaned, linens changed etc. unless you plan to leave it dirty before the next guest arrives. If there was no damage, but general messiness I would give them a 4 or maybe a 3, I only give 5’s if the place other than linens and bathrooms are clean.

1 Like

Does this work in practice? I read that “fines” that are consequences for breaking the rules are not really enforceable. Not to mention that most guests would leave retaliatory feedback for being fined if given the opportunity.

Yes and yes. If the guest refuses to pay (which they do about half the time) Airbnb usually pays it as long as I have proof. Yes, I do get retaliatory reviews. But in a way they just reinforce the fact that I DO ENFORCE my House Rules. Even with a slew of retaliatory negative reviews (from 4 through 1) I still get bookings afterwards. I heap the praise on the great guests and in their reviews. I also hear guests talk about how they better do this or not do that or put furniture back or leave the property to smoke or whatever so that they do not have to pay any extra.

About half of the budget minded ones are also smart enough to stay within the rules (which should really be common sense in most cases) to keep their budget accommodations positive and just that…budget. If they have to pay the fines then they end up wishing they had just booked a more expensive place where there is an interior decorator and everything is new and matcha matchy maybe. Well, even that’s probably not true based on some of the rates here but if they are booking at such a low rate to begin with, having to pay more than double that because they didn’t follow the rules really sucks.

Burns that bit more when you go the extra mile and people take the piss :frowning:

And I mean the mess I take all the freebies as well :joy: