If you provide extras, like snacks, do you make them fancier for guests paying higher rates?

I’m sure many Airbnbs have times when rates are higher. It could depend on seasonal weather, or special events that only happen in particular places at particular times and lead to a drastic increase in demand (Oktoberfest, Super Bowl, cherry blossoms, film festivals etc.)

In my case, it’s alumni reunions at the nearby university. The going rate for Airbnbs is about 3X the normal.

Do hosts generally leave out more and/or better snacks or additional extras during these peak rate periods?

Part of me feels like I should. OTOH, if the guests mention the details in reviews, future guest paying normal rates might expect the same?

I always leave the same stuff, 4 coffee pods, 4 packages microwave popcorn, 4 instant oatmeals, bottled (glass reusable) and fresh eggs from my chickens. My place is 250-300 a night and up to 500 for event pricing.

Usually only the coffee and eggs are used.

RR

3 Likes

I do change it up depending on rate paid. It’s not just snacks it’s which duvet is used, which towels, which soap is put out. If everything were equal, like I had no more older towels or dollar store soap maybe I’d do it differently. As for reviews I wouldn’t worry about it. I have asked guests who got something special like early check in not to mention it in reviews because I usually can’t do it.

3 Likes

Oh my, RRR! Other than the eggs, I do the same thing for $25 a night! I am such a turkey!

I leave different types of snacks based on their ages or reason for visiting the area, not based on rate. For families with young children I leave a fruit basket and cookies. One couple was celebrating a birthday so I left them a birthday cake, candles, birthday paper plates and napkins.

3 Likes

Interesting tactic, but what do you do with returning guests that book at a cheaper rate the second time they stay at your place?

3 Likes

BTW, the hospitality expert on Instant Hotel, whose name I can’t remember right now, says hosts should spend about 10% of one night’s booking rate on these extras.

When I think of 10% of my regular rate, that sounds a little high, but not crazy. Ten percent of the peak rate, though, would amount to a LOT.

I wouldn’t even know what to put out. Wine? Maybe if I lived in a well known wine producing region, but I’m not sure many people would be interested in drinking New Jersey wine…

:smile:

I know. Blueberries! That’s one thing grown around here that’s really good and the season coincides with peak rates.

2 Likes

The 10 percent rule works, I suppose, if you are high margin. But I don’t see many hotels following this. And as a sole business proprietor I can’t write this off.

2 Likes

Uhm, yes you can at least in the USA

rr

2 Likes

So for me $25-$30 sometimes $50… I think for the $500 a night crowd it makes more sense to spend $50 Lets see, a $30 bottle of wine, $10 flowers and make up a fruit and chocolate basket for about $10 They feel spoiled, I feel spoiled for netting 450 on my usually 250-300 cabin…

So at $250 I would not feel like I was winning, basically I just discounted my lowest rate?

The question is, will the investment pay off? What is the ROI (return on investment)

Will they re-book as a result? Not all of them, so if its 1 in 10 that re-book it’s even Steven, no ROI

Will this get me at least 2 of 10 return bookings that would not have returned otherwise?

Hard to quantify…

Hmmm

RR

3 Likes

I will do this in the future! I’ve let occasional guests watch sunsets from our dock next door, but I don’t offer it to everyone and it has been mentioned in a review.

Returning guests get the premium treatment because they provide other benefits to me.

6 Likes

Yes you can…

I think I said “I can’t write it off.” Not only do we have polar vortexes, wolverines, and those infernal Canada Geese, but I can’t write off nummy nums.

1 Like

Yes we do but it depends on the length of stay and the guest. The longer the stay the fancier the welcome gift. Bottle of prosecco for a new grandmother, bottle of wine for a six week stay, selection of craft beers for a nine week stay. That kind of thing.

1 Like

In our rentals all guests get exactly the same.

1 Like

Do you also take advice from people on reality tv shows about dating, jungle survival or home decor?

2 Likes

Over the years I’ve read plenty of advice from ‘experts’ about a few things that I know a lot about and in so many cases, ‘experts’ just aren’t.

This is so often the case on TV when people are chosen for their looks and their perceived personality and popularity rather than what they really know.

3 Likes

We offer turn-key lodging right down to 12 spices. teas, cooking oils, flour, sugar, 1 lb. coffee, ketchup, etc. As welcome gifts there is always Island candy and island salsa in the frig, chips and a bottle of water for each guest. We do it the same way every time, regardless of what they pay. It evens out. Sometimes they don’t drink coffee at all, other times the Perrier goes untouched. We feel it all evens out. We are often left gifts from the guests, who are so appreciative. So far, 100% 5-star reviews.

1 Like

We provide the same, regardless of rate - my winter rate is around 160/night and summer is 325. I buy several types of individually wrapped snacks from Costco and put out a variety. The apartment has plenty of coffee, tea, spices, etc. In addition to snacks, they get wine and milk. People seem pretty happy with that.

2 Likes