I need to vent: Earlier post 5 people 8-9 stayed

I really can’t understand why Airbnb didn’t approve your request for extra guests. Do you have the extra charge per guest per night calculated in your listing?

Have you ever collected on this. I don’t see a guest paying it or Airbnb paying it, either.

No, I haven’t - but it’s in my 3 major rules they accept when booking and no one has brought more than 6 people. I think the fee is enough to deter them. We also aren’t a “typical” rental. We live in a weekend resort/artistic/spa community outside of Washington, D.C. It’s not the type of place people would stay for longer than 3-4 days. Since 2016 I have only have one full week stay and 80% of my bookings are weekends only.

1 Like

Hiya Kerri! I read your post and checked out your listing…very very similar to our place, but in reverse…we rent the first floor and live on the top floor. We, too are on the lake, and have kayaks and water toys…Your place is beautiful. We don’t have a full kitchen, so we can’t charge as much as you do. HOWEVER, we’ve listed our place as a “private” room in house to avoid the review you just got. Even still, we had one or two people say, I didn’t know “X.” So it’s mentioned several times in our listing AND once someone books, my first email expressly state we are onsite and there is an open stairwell in between the two floors in case they missed it. I had one woman cancel because of the email as she had missed it…so whew, problem child never came. I’m happy to share that email with you if you’d like. (BTW, our daughter is in school at USC, go Cocks!)

You have enough good reviews that you could change the category of your listing to another category and skirt this problem. We’ve never had problems getting booked when we want to. I know many people search for ‘whole house’ but like others, I would NOT expect the homeowner to be present at any time, no matter what the copy says.

You have a lovely place. Our place is www.airbnb.com/h/hiawassee. (BTW, we also have similar furniture in our listing of the room upstairs…haha…We painted it and changed the hardware if you want to check that out): https://airbnb.com/h/lakefrontretreat.

1 Like

I checked out your place it is lovely.
The issue has been resolved. Airbnb did not refund Brandie anything and they deposited her $200 deposit in my account. I don’t if it was her money or their money.

2 Likes