I need to vent: Earlier post 5 people 8-9 stayed

@helsi nope, not just you. I re-read everything three times and then only when I looked at “The Host” section, did I find that they could be on-site.

Entire place

You’ll have the space to yourself and will only share it with those you’re traveling with.

@Kerri you need to re-work the listing and put the important things up-front - shared duplex/outside areas with private balcony and sole use of hot tub, cost for skis, canoes, etc.
While you seem like lots of fun and have interesting things to say about the area, frankly, I care about the number of beds and bathrooms, how much extra the “toys” are, and how close you are to things. I also want to know if you’re available to hang out with, will me and mine get our privacy if you’re there, or are you going to stalk me and mine on our vacation? I say that up-front in my listing “live and work on premises, available to chat or give you your space.” Put the “interesting facts” at the bottom.

Only one of my guests cared about my sailboat racing and that’s because he was a junior olympian and saw a trophy (it’s only out because it’s actually a sailboat sculpture and fits with the decor, I’d keep it out even if I could pull the small plaque with my name on it off).

2 Likes

It read more like guide info and some of it was redundant.

I also didn’t see anything on the listing that a) says that guests can’t have visitors and b) that there was an extra charge for additional people.

I do get concerned about a place that has only one bathroom though for so many people.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I do - $300/night for each guest over our maximum of 6. I had one potential guest tell me they were a party of 7 “but I’m sure you don’t mind if we throw a blow up mattress on the floor.” Actually I do mind… and referred them to another listing in town w/ a higher guest capacity.

2 Likes

It’s updated now to “1 Review”. Though there are plenty of glitches, I don’t think this is one of them. This is because so few stars, and I’m assuming a ‘not recommended’ was given. I’ve noticed this in the past when giving a less than stellar review and also that the review sometimes takes more time to post at all. I’ve only had it happen when I gave a “not recommended” and/or had a case opened regarding a guest. My hypothesis is that it’s being reviewed by Airbnb to make sure it meets content policy, etc, which I think is actually a good thing as it demonstrates they are paying attention to something ,)

I looked at the listing too. As a guest, I’m one to read all the details so would not have been surprised to see you living on the 1st floor but probably would not have booked because you have it listed as “an entire house” when it clearly isn’t an entire house. This kind of thing seems sneaky to me and would make me feel a bit untrusting so would probably skip the listing altogether. And I’m not one to call Airbnb as a guest but feel confident I would have a case for a refund if I rented “an entire house” and it’s really “a duplex” with the owners staying downstairs. This regardless of you mentioning that you live downstairs because ultimately it’s listed incorrectly.

What you have there is an “entire apartment” or an “entire guest suite”. Yes, it’s in a house, but that doesn’t make it “an entire house” anymore than any duplex apartment would be considered it’s own house.

If you change your listing to “entire apartment” or “entire guest suite” and then note the shared spaces and amenities then there shouldn’t be any trouble with the expectations. I’m honestly surprised you haven’t had anyone else with an issue with it.

Clearly this guest was going to be some trouble otherwise, with the extra guests and general attitude and all but a lot might have been avoided from a correct description. Though, in this case, she was probably primarily upset about you being there because then you could see all of her extra guests. You’re probably less likely to get these extra guest sneaky folks with a more accurate description as well. FWIW.

4 Likes

@jaquo Do you think it’s important to put the extra guest charge in the listing somewhere? I know that on the mobile app it shows up under “additional prices” but only comes up on the website under “price breakdown”. It seems to me that people should book for the correct number of people; however, I have recently added a house rule that says “all guests must be accurately accounted for on your reservation”. I worded it that way to also cover people who want to bring an infant at the last minute (“I forgot about our baby” - true story!).

I have been learning that it’s best to just put everything in the rules but am loathe to have a listing with a bunch of rules. It’s shocking to me that someone would bring more people than they booked for and am also surprised to see how casual people are about having visitors. I’ve been a guest for much longer than I have been a host and believed it was inherently ‘against the rules’ to have visitors at my airbnb. So, I’m not sure if this is just something that has evolved with the changes in airbnb or if their used to be something in the TOS that isn’t anymore. (I don’t really mind my guest’s visitors so far but don’t know how to protect myself in the case that I might sometime). And how many visitors creates a “party or event”?

Forgive the tangent, but you give a lot of good advice and I’d value your viewpoint on these issues.

1 Like

Yes, I do need to make some changes on my listing. But, in two years this is the first issue I have had with it. And Brandie knew we lived downstairs because she asked right after she booked and I told her that we live downstairs. This was a few weeks before she stayed so she had plenty of time to cancel if she wanted to.

1 Like

Definitely, it sounds like Brandie was going to be a problem either way. She may even have been angling for some kind of refund all along - knowing that the way it was listed was there to capitalize on.

I realize that listing as a house might make more sense for you because you’re in an area that is all houses or where people want a house but it does leave you open to someone complaining about it. If it hasn’t come up in 2 years then maybe it won’t come up for another 2 years. And knowing it might bite you in the butt on occasion might be worth being listed in a way that makes you most competitive in your area, it could be just a calculated risk. But a calculated risk means that you know that you’re doing it, so to be best prepared for the Brandies because it seems they will find any and every thing to complain about once they don’t get their way. (I recently had an issue and all of a sudden the bananas were overripe).

2 Likes

I’d highly suggest you eliminate most (or at the very least, rearrange the order) of your photographs. I had to scroll to the 18th photo before I saw an interior shot. Ain’t nobody got time for that. :triumph:

2 Likes

I had to scroll to the 18th photo before I saw an interior shot. Ain’t nobody got time for that. :triumph:

I know that’s the common wisdom but this is a lake house and though the interior photos should come sooner, I don’t think they are as important in this case. I didn’t bother looking at the interior, not sure it matters much as I doubt I would spend much time inside anyways with all of that cool outside area - that deck looks like a good enough living room and dining room to me, if I was renting a lakehouse.

3 Likes

If there is an extra charge, then yes. But do bear in mind that some guests see it as nickle-and-diming. For example, if a listing shows the nightly price of $100 but then charges an extra $50 for guests after the first two, then some guests see this as being a little deceptive.

I know that many hosts want to be seen as the cheapest when compared to other local rentals but putting the price up front, without any extras that come as a surprise when booking, is more likely to result in bookings than the opposite. I go on about it a lot here, but people don’t shop by price (and if they are real cheapskates, do you really want them?)

Bear in mind too that there are huge numbers of people who aren’t accustomed to Airbnb and believe that if they’re renting a house, they can put as many people as they want into it.

The other issue is that if you check out this forum you’ll see how often hosts complain that guests sneaked extra people in. This upsets them, stresses them, takes up their time trying to get the extra guest fees and monitoring cameras, and generally results in an unhappy host.

There are quite a few of us who would rather have a higher nightly price than deal with all the stress and hassle extra guests bring with them.

1 Like

In that case, you’ve got a good reason to have her review removed. Presumably the message is in the Airbnb message system so you can show Airbnb that her comment about not knowing you lived downstairs simply wasn’t true. I’m not sure that it will work, but as it bothers you so much it’s worth a try.

Thank you for taking the time @jaquo!
I’ve taken what you said into consideration for sure though I can’t help but wonder what the venn diagram is of ‘guests who don’t put the correct number of guests in when searching listings’ and ‘guests who are going to actually read the whole listing’. :woman_facepalming: I, admittedly, feel hard-headed that guests should book for the correct number of guests that are coming, but see your point for sure.

I have seen all the posts here and other forums too about the extra guests issues and fortunately have not had the trouble like that. I do live onsite but am probably mostly just lucky with the audience I have for my listings. Mainly I head off the extra guest issue at time of booking. If someone just books for 1 and says “we”, or avoids pronouns altogether, then I address it and send a reservation change request. I always explain the extra guest charge at that point and why I have my pricing set-up that way (to accommodate more of the airbnb community, by ultimately providing a discount to smaller groups, specifically solo-travelers) and let them know that they can accept or decline and that I understand either way. So far no one has declined but I am truly fine with it if they do. I really feel the onus is on them to book correctly so I don’t feel I’m dropping a surprise on them but can see that some folks might take it that way. I guess I weed those folks out ,) Interestingly, in my neighborhood, extra guests fees have become the norm.

As I said, I am also surprised at how many guests invite visitors over but have just rolled with it and there’s been no trouble, so it’s obviously my hang-up but I’ve pretty much gotten over it and I’ve met a lot of nice relatives and such of my guests. I’m sure if my listing was in a different place with a different audience, it could be an issue but since it’s not, I’ve not made one of it. I’ve learned a lot from this forum!

2 Likes

Yes, it is on the message system. Should I just call them or is there a another contact venue I should use?
Thanks

Most people say that they get the best results from Twitter. But if you’ve got time, I’d try a call first.

Actually they just called me about the deposit refund. Brandie tried to claim that she didn’t know we lived downstairs but he told her that he read the feed so therefore knew better. He was calling me because Brandie said that they were not able to use the hot tub. Which is a lie. They used it and climbed in and out of it so many times we had to drain it, clean and replace filter after they left, not to mention had to reprogram it their first day there because they allowed their children to push all the buttons like it was a toy. I asked him about removing the review and he said he would review everything and get back with me.
On a good note the guests who left today were the easiest and cleanest guests I have ever had.

2 Likes

And as a host I don’t want any extras that come up as a surprise like extra guests and pets!!!

This wouldn’t matter because they should have learned that was not so when they read the House Rules, if not the listing.

I don’t follow this line of thinking because it is the guest’s breaking of the rules that causes this issue, not the fact that the host has them.

Very true! And that is why there are all types of hosts and listings and they are all different! Just like the guests!

1 Like

Another excellent motto that should be embroidered and framed for every Airbnb user :slight_smile:

Unfortunately the one thing that almost all hosts agree on is that guests don’t read.

Yes another good indication that we’re all different. Because my rentals are separate apartments, as long as they are clean and quiet (and doing nothing illegal) I don’t much like having extra guests because the apartments are small so they’re not going to be comfortable - plus, I’m concerned about our elderly plumbing being overloaded. But most of my guests stay for under a week so the plumbing can cope for short spells of time.

On the other hand, people arriving with dogs simply don’t get in. (HOA rules, not mine). But when we did allow them, I was okay with hosting them.

I allow (even encourage) dogs, as well as other pets including cats, parrots, horses and fish (yes, I have had a booking with several kids and animals including a parrot). I even have pets in the title manor all my listings. What I do require, though, is them to be registered with the booking and paid for, just like each person. I have gotten people that show up with only one to three registered and then more show up, mostly after I have departed the check-in.

1 Like