How do I get in the Family Collection?

My listing meets all of the criteria for the Family Collection but still does not show up. Does anybody have any ideas why?

What does your opportunities dashboard look like?

You have the “5-star reviews from families” qualification, too? (That one isn’t totally in your control)

2 Likes

Yes, I have the families reviews and I made sure they were booked correctly (children listed on the reservation). All of my ratings are five stars for everything.

Family Collection does not show up at all on my Opportunities page.

You only have 7 “Family Amenities” in your listing. You have to have 8. Is there something you could add?

1 Like

@georgiahost
Also, it’s possible that they are phasing out the family collection and that would be why it’s not showing up for you at all. I’ve noticed that they have changed the way that family stuff is searched for. There is still a “Work Trip” button at the top of the search page but I haven’t seen the “Family Trip” button in months probably. I’ve also noticed that if I do a search and add a child or infant to the guest list, all of the listings that come up first are family friendly. My own listings (because I’m not kid friendly) will come up at the bottom under a disclaimer that says, “these listings are also available for your dates but have indicated that they are not safe or appropriate for children” (something like that).

Additionally, I have 3 listings. 2 are identical in floor plan and size and amenities. The older one comes up under Family Collection eligible because I have a review on it from someone with a child (because I allow 10 y.o and up and Airbnb considers under 12 a child). It notes that I would need to “allow children” to be in the family collection, which is kind of funny. But the other one went live in June and it does not come up as eligible at all, it’s greyed out, I can’t even click on it. The third either, but that’s because there’s not a full kitchen in it.

I really think they 're getting rid of it and just funneling families to family friendly listings in a different and more effficient way. As long as you allow children and have some amenities for children, your listing will come up for anyone who searches with children or infants in their guest list. I ran a search for your area and you came up right away when put a kid in my guest number.

2 Likes

Ah, I didn’t see that in the requirements list.

Hmmm. I have no baby bath (what is that?) or baby monitor. Not enough room for a full crib; I have a pack-n-play. No fireplace or stairs so no guards for those. I picked tables that don’t need corner guards. No game console.

What is a window guard?

I have bathtub; books & toys; kids’ dinnerware; high chair; outlet covers; pack-n-play; room darkening curtains. Maybe I could buy a cheap baby monitor?

1 Like

I don’t think it’s you actually, I think they are making a change, see above.

I wondered about that. They do not make it easy to search by “family collection”, but if they are phasing it out I hope they remember to remove the coding for the places that are already in the family collection so I am not at a disadvantage.

Thanks for your help @JJD!

2 Likes

Yes. I am really really good at searching for stuff and all mentions of family collection are no longer anywhere they used to be in the Help documents. I think it’s no more. But you’re covered!

It didn’t seem to work anyways. I constantly got inquiries and requests from people who mentioned their children and then I would have to tell them about the Family Trip button, so I don’t think it was very effective. It makes more sense to just funnel people with kid guests into the family friendly listings.

1 Like

@georgiahost I did some blind searches for your area, for a few different dates with 2 adults and one child and you came up 1st in results for your town. If I zoom out and expand the map far enough for Columbus to come in, you are still on the first page. I think you’re good!!

2 Likes

@georgiahost I am in the family collection and don’t have any of those kid things. Guests that booked, disclosing in the reservation request that they were bringing kids, were the tipping point for me. Until I had reviews, from people that ABB knew were bringing kids, it didn’t go through for me.

Although, they could be changing things again and not telling us … But that never happens, right? :rofl:

1 Like

I’d guess this. I have 3 listings of which the oldest is in the Family Collection. It lists Family Amenties You 4 Target 8, but I’m still in it. My other two I do not have an option to view what I am missing to join the Family Collection.

1 Like

I just looked and mine is the same. The 4 family amenities it says I have (TV, Wifi, Kitchen, Essentials) are not in listed under “Family Amenities” in the listing details, and the family amenities I have checked in the listing details don’t show up in the list on the Progress/Opportunities page. I’m wondering if they’re going to require pictures like they are doing for accessibility amenities.

1 Like

I just spoke with an airbnb advisor because we kept getting a “join the family collection” message under “what to do next”, when we’d been part of the family collection since our beginning as hosts two years ago. After some research, she told me the family collection has ended, as of 9/30/19. She also said the work collection has ended, but I still see a category for that on the travel home page. It does appear that someone looking for a family friendly place would have to look into amenities to see if young children can be accommodated. Not sure why they would end this category, or the work category, as it would make it a lot simpler for guests to find a right booking for their needs.

2 Likes

Thanks @Meg1 ! I was guessing it did but wasn’t sure.

If they put children or infants in their ‘number of guests’ while searching, it feeds them the family friendly places first in the search results. Places like mine that aren’t family friendly are still in the results but at the very end under a disclaimer.

These are the amenities I remember seeing in the list of requirements, which I cannot find now. TV, Wifi, Kitchen, Washer/Dryer. I have all of these.

The only problem I see is that it is still easy for an Airbnb newbie to “accidentally” search by “Family Collection” without realizing it, and when they do they will not see my listing. In fact I first noticed that I was not in the collection when a relative of mine said they could not find my property on Airbnb - I had them repeat their steps and they had searched for “Airbnb (my city)” on Google then clicked on a link that said Airbnb Family Friendly, which sent them to Airbnb with the family collection filter in place. They had no idea that they were seeing only a portion of the properties available.

I just hope that if they are getting rid of the family collection, they remember to get rid of the “under the hood” coding that produces these results.

1 Like

How about Sitter recommendations? That is cheap and easy to do.

1 Like

I’m not seeing “Family Friendly” or “Family Collection” anywhere on the website in the search menu. I’m sure the transition away from it will be clunky as are most things with Airbnb changes.

Sorry, wouldn’t count on it :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

This is essentially what I was told when I called to complain about the same issue.

2 Likes

Funny because it’s actually helping me a lot. My listings are not family friendly but so many people used to just search and end up trying to book or booking with me and then I’d have to tell them to go and search with the “Family Friendly” tab. Now it’s set up where guests are cued to add their other guests right after putting in a date but before being able to search so when they add a child or infant, I’m at the very bottom of the search list under a disclaimer. It’s been a few weeks now since I’ve dealt with people looking for “family friendly” and it also seems to really be helping people book and request for the correct number of guests. I think it’s overall an improvement we’ve all needed.

1 Like