Guest wanting to cancel!

The “Work collection“ category has disappeared! I don’t know if it’s temporary or not but it’s not there right now. I set up all three of my AirBnBs to qualify for the Work Collection, so the fact that it’s disappeared is annoying, at best!

2 Likes

Yes it’s gone, for a while now. But you can still choose “work trip” on the search bar. It’s described as “hosts who have had 5-stars from guests on work trips” (or something like that, I’m very much paraphrasing).

So it’s no longer necessary to have a desk, etc.? How very annoying of them. Have they done away with family collection too? I was going to get qualified for that designation but after my most horrendous guests were 3 families with 7 small children between them, I decided not to do that.

That actually went first. There doesn’t seem anyway to search for families other than by ticking off a family amenity like “high chair”; however, anyone who puts in a child or infant in their guest count gets all of the “suitable” listings first. At the very bottom of the list, there will be a disclaimer that says “these listings may not be kid friendly”. Mine are down there. And that’s how I like it :smile:

2 Likes

Here’s what it actually says on the Work Trip" button: “Explore homes and boutique hotels with 5 star-ratings from business travelers”. So, if you need a desk to get those stars then maybe keep it just to be covered?

I was in that work collection too but I’m not sure it really did anything. I do get people that come here to stay while working but I never got the feeling that they were using that search. Sometimes they don’t even say they’re coming for work but I figure it out. A 23-year old staying M-F, leaves at 630am, comes back at 530pm and goes jogging except for Friday when brings in a 4-pack of fancy beer and stays up late then leaves hellluva early on Sat.

2 Likes

We had a thread about it just recently… It is still there “under the hood” but not officially available anymore.

Here is the thread.

I noticed this. I went through the trouble to have everything required to get in the “Work Collection” and now my listing doesn’t show up as Work friendly because I guess none of my guests have chosen “work trip” when booking. Aargh.

Maybe I need to ask a friend to stay and choose “work trip” so I can qualify.

1 Like

Guess I need to check to see if mine show up. I’ve definitely had guests who were staying for work but I don’t know that they choose “work trip” when they booked.

1 Like

I guess you can but I really don’t think that button or the prior collection was really being used.

I get people for work and this how: I don’t lower my weekday prices so that just a Tue or Wed gets booked, so that I have a block of weekdays still left two weeks out and even one week out. Also, I price all of my units for one-person and everyone else is an extra guest. And then, I give a discount at 3-days and more of a discount at 5-days. This technique leaves me the 2 things that I believe you really need to book people for work: availability and affordability.

1 Like

I’ve always told myself I’d ask guests what brought them to our listing or why they chose our listing. Sometimes they volunteer it, but I NEVER remember to ask. Bad me.

I’ve had guests here for work, and I’m booked as full as I want to be (I have to block off days if I want to get some work done on the house!) so I’m not really worried. I just like to have any edge I can get!

1 Like

Doesn’t sound like you need anymore edges! That work collection was pretty silly. The amenities it required seem basic to me. I think most people book for work a week, maybe two, ahead of time and need a block of days that their per diem will cover. I really doubt they were hunting down listings that had hangers or whatnot.

2 Likes

Well, all three of my listings showed up when I searched with “work trip” selected. So I’m happy.

2 Likes

It seems that after I qualified I started getting more “for work” bookings. For one, I had a dentist here most of last fall. So while they still have a way to filter for that maybe they found many people traveling for work would rather have a pet around than a desk. Or a private entrance and flexible check in wasn’t as important as they thought.

2 Likes

And according to the new requirement, I am sure you still qualify as some of those very numerous 5-stars must be from your business travelers :slightly_smiling_face:

My guess is that the collections (family or work) were just not being used enough as they got rid of both. I’m sure they’ll pop some new thing into it’s place sometime soon (and without telling us ,)

3 Likes

Yeah of course I can, I realise those options. My annoyance is that she kicks and screams to get her own way…I now need to cancel her to stop her coming here, and she gets 100% back, exactly as she wanted/planned…Thats the only reason she hasn’t cancelled herself, she’s forced me into cancelling to get all her money back…
Anyway time to move on, Air B&B will cancel without penalties and nothing else, so that’s what I’ll do…

1 Like

Not so great if it’s your home, too risky… I’ll be cancelling her…

Good Riddance.
Now time to put the listing back up. Jack up the price $10 a night.
Buy some wine with that extra profit when you get booked out and enjoy it with peace of mind.
YOU are the WINNER here.

2 Likes

And likely knew how pro guest Airbnb is…

1 Like

Are you meaning a case manager or is there really such a thing as an AirBnB mediator now?

So well put! A decision tree with percentages comes to mind…remembering my EMBA. :wink:

2 Likes