Helpful items for guests as they pack up to leave

I admit that I’ve helped guests with their luggage when they were leaving. But that has been for my benefit, when it’s been a tight turnover. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good to know! I haven’t used them but have seen them at the store.

@RebeccaF Maybe there’s something similar that is waxed paper or something?

2 Likes

Thrifty bunch, aren’t they? I mean, having a nice weekend, but cooking 2 meals a day AND using take homes? I would leave flyers for local restos.

3 Likes

I have a big section in my house book of menus from local restaurants, albeit local is not really close. The nearest town to my cabin is about a 20 minute drive. Most people go out after breakfast and spend the day in the mountains, maybe hiking, fly fishing, biking or visiting the apple orchards or wineries. I think they are beat when they get back and don’t want to get changed and go back out for dinner. They want to start a fire and relax.

1 Like

I went to the Dollar store and bought a few packs of disposable shower caps (8 shower caps for $1) and placed them in very small ziploc bags. Some of our guests use them, but not many.

You probably spent more on the little bags than the shower caps…and funny thing is they could probably use larger plastic bags instead of shower caps in small bags…lol jk

I do not provide anything for the guests to pack up food, there is foil that’s been left behind by other guests they can use. I do not want to encourage cooking, lots of menus in the cabin in hopes they just go grab a bite somewhere else. Also since I removed the cleaning fee and the rule is if you use it clean it, I have less cooking happening which is great.

RR

I recently had a former colleague rent our home for a party of 4. They joined us for cocktails at our home on Friday evening. They were effusive in their praise and compliments on our home - to the point where it become almost embarrassing (almost - but I loved every minute of it!!) The one thing that stood out amongst their comments was my use of motion sensor nightlights. We have a two story 1912 home with a wooden staircase. I have a motion activated light at the top and bottom of the stairs, another in the upstairs hallway, and one in the main bathroom.

It’s the first time I’ve ever had anyone comment on them, but it really made them feel safe getting up at night and walking through the house.

2 Likes

I have a nightlight in the bathroom, kitchen, and living room of my listing. Just enough light that guests can walk around in the dark without having to turn the lights on.

When I travel I bring my own nightlight to put in the bathroom.

1 Like

Thise are some of the best night lights I’ve found:

Just don’t put them in sleeping areas. I have a plug in night light in the entry area of my rental and the night light gets unplugged sometimes even though it’s around the corner from he bed so any light would be minimal and not direct. Maybe they are just unplugging because they need more receptacles but there are 4 in close proximity to one another on that wall. I assume at least some of them don’t like the light.

1 Like

Our guest rooms have nightlights that the guest can turn on and off. Our bathrooms, hallways, and kitchen have nightlights that are always on. LEDs use just about no power.

Totally agree. Hallways and bathrooms only.

3 Likes

Wow! Those are EXPENSIVE! I have seen them advertised for almost 1/4 of that elsewhere. Sorry I can’t remember where right now. Consider shipping around.

I think you are right about that. I would be one who would remove it for sleeping.

1 Like

I recently upgraded the light switches in the 2 bedrooms and hallway with illuminated decora switches. I plan to update the ones in the kitchen for the kitchen ceiling fan and porch/patio light to the same next week.

I am considering only regular non-illuminated ones in the bedrooms though. These are both on walls that wouldn’t be visible in bed and they don’t “shine” light But are just lit themselves so I’m not sure what people will think. so far I had one group stay when the first switch had been upgraded in the bedroom.

Regardless I plan to go with illuminated for the kitchen ceiling fan (the switch is on the opposite facing wall from the entrance so would make it more visible. The kitchen sink and other overhead light I have a dusk/dawn nightlight plugged in next to it to make it easy to see.).

I am also considered the motion sensing switches where I could set to vacancy mode instead of occupancy mode but that would only work where it didn’t control the ceiling fan as well so on those the illuminated option was better. I figured the change to LEDs would make that less of an issue when people left lights on wastefully.

Same reason people unplug the alarm clock.

2 Likes

Yes, I bought some a few years ago when there weren’t any clones available. If you actually buy these, make sure you read the reviews. Some of the clones are garbage that don’t last a week and some are even fire hazards.

1 Like

I had those in an apartment somewhere. It was just a tiny green or blue light the size of tiny pill but it was really annoying once the rest of the room was dark. We painted over it with liquid paper in the middle of the night one night :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

Some of my guests seem to hate light of any kind in the bedroom - they unplug everything or turn it upside down or in a drawer, and tuck in the edges of the blackout curtains. I suspect they would not enjoy an illuminated switch if they could not turn it off somehow.

3 Likes