Helpful items for guests as they pack up to leave

In my area, guests want a full kitchen. The majority drive from the city, 60-90 minutes away and generally bring groceries for the weekend. They may do lunch out while doing touristy things, and possibly one dinner at one of the newer high end restaurants. But cooking breakfast and at least one dinner is very commonly done. After the first few guests packed up their leftovers in my Rubbermaid containers and took them home I decided to find a better solution. They all asked if they could pay me for the containers, which felt odd so I declined. Ziplock bags are expensive, plus you have to put the entire box in a drawer to keep them contained. Invariably a whole box would be gone just a few visits as I think guests were using them to pack up things like shoes or wet items. This presented another problem for which I had to find a solution.
At the local dollar store I found packages of those aluminum to go containers like restaurants have. I bought the 9 inch rounds and some smaller rectangular ones. I leave 4 of each in a drawer along with plastic wrap and aluminum foil and one box of the small snack sized ziplock bags. Most people will use one or two. They are very appreciative of being able to take food home and not feel like they are “stealing” my stuff. image image
As to the laundry issue, I went online and found plastic laundry bags for the guests to use to separate dirty or damp clothing. I usually leave 2 in the closet and one always gets used, sometimes both. Once or twice a guest has asked for an extra, which I don’t mind giving out. They absolutely love the convenience

I’d love to hear from other hosts any other helpful items to provide.

7 Likes

We got the packages (6 tops and bottoms) of plastic rectangular quart containers @ the dollar store. Very few have been used. 70 guests. If I run out I will get the above suggestion:) We provide a roll of aluminum foil, and a box of sandwich or quart size zippy bags. These also are not used much. We are the ones who go up there and raid the supplies!

The laundry bags are a great idea. I always travel with them to separate dirty clothing, but I don’t provide them for my guests. However, I do provide a washer/dryer at no charge so they maybe the bags wouldn’t get used. If they’re cheap enough, I’m going to try them and see if guests use them.

I get the most compliments from providing:
USB chargers with cables in every room except the bathroom and laundry room.
Kitchen fully stocked with pots/pans/dishes/utensils/baking items/etc.
Coffee with sugar/sugar-substitute/creamer/etc.

1 Like

My guests often say I’ve “thought of everything” and I’m 98% 5 star reviews. But I’m not sure which things they like best. I don’t have a whole house or even a kitchenette. A few things I leave are: q-tips, spare toothbrushes, disposable razors, lotion, shower caps and more in the bathroom. Bedside charger cables and USB, bedside lamps, foam ear plugs, multiple sleeping pillow size and type, access to extra blankets and towels, cable for connecting phone to aux speaker (I don’t have a bluetooth speaker in there), creamer and plant based milk to go with coffee, filtered water in recycled bottles. I also do some other things for people with pets.

2 Likes

I’m curious. Do guests actually use them?

Very rarely. I’ve been asked twice for one, both times by African American women. Once I gave my own to her, the other time I didn’t have one. After that I bought one that’s reusable and have written on the package to leave it out if used so I can launder it. I also toss any disposable ones I come across in the drawer and they sometimes disappear. It don’t know if they are used or taken.

2 Likes

Guests sometimes leave our house with wet swimsuits from our pool. I’d rather not give them anything plastic, like a plastic trash bag or a plastic grocery bag (we never have any of the latter anyway). So I’m puzzled about what to offer for them to pack up a wet suit.

We do offer them the opportunity to lay out their wet suit on our pool cover, because a small amount of heat escapes through the cover. If left overnight there, the suit will definitely dry. But if they swim on their last morning, that isn’t enough.

So I’m puzzled. Something waterproof but not plastic—and not expensive. Ideas?

1 Like

I know you didn’t ask me, but I provide a disposable shower cap with all my other “forgot something” amenities in the bathroom. It has only been taken once.

The soap, toothbrush, and toothpaste gets taken often; the deodorant, mouthwash, and razor occasionally; the lotion, sanitary supplies, and shower pouf rarely. Nobody has taken any mini shampoo or conditioner bottles but I also have large bulk bottles in the shower that do get used. I must have environmentally conscious guests. :blush:

What you do sounds very generous—very hospitable.

When we started as hosts, we decided to provide large bottles of shampoo and shower gel in the shower, like you do. And we wondered how guests would feel about using products other guests had used. We say in our listing that those things are provided “family-style” and that we clean the bottles and refill them after each guest. Many guests use them; no one has complained. No one has taken them. A few have said they appreciate that we conserve plastic that way.

2 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/UNNI-Compostable-Kitchen-Certified-Francisco/dp/B013XGQXVW/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=biodegradable+bags&qid=1575579575&sr=8-4

2 Likes

I did as well at first but had to get over it. :slight_smile: It’s clearly not an issue with my guests and one would think that guests who are fine sharing space with a host and another tenant in the other room you have would not be picky about those sorts of things.

3 Likes

That’s a nice idea. Thanks.

1 Like

I provide the shampoo, conditioner, and body wash in large pump bottles because I figured that isn’t any different than liquid hand soap in pump dispensers that people use everywhere.

3 Likes

I actually got a decent deal on the touch less hand soap dispensers and was thinking about using those in the shower but believe they wouldn’t work there for lots of reasons. Pumps would be good for all bottles though.

I have small bottles of shampoo and conditioner plus big bottles of 2-in-1 and body wash. When I have men stay (not as common lately) I now add in big bottles (pump) of mens 2-in-1 and axe body wash…until it is gone anyways, it’s left overs from the bf…if it is well received I may buy some when it’s gone but I doubt it.

1 Like

My 17 day solidier left a couple of bottles of “Man” soap and shampoo so I also put it in there with male guests. I can’t wait until it’s gone as it’s just another thing to do.

3 Likes

I provide Man shaving lotion. A nice masculine sandalwood I think and it says something-Man on the label. I provided a Man type so as to discourage the ladies from using it up on their legs. So far so good.

2 Likes

Word of warning – I use compostable trash bags in the trash cans in my suite. The ones I have fall apart fast if they get wet! On the one hand, they obviously do what they’re supposed to – decompose – but on the other it’s dicey getting the bathroom one out intact if they’ve put wet tissues in it (or even if the air is damp from showering), and I’ve had the kitchen one burst on me when there are wet coffee grounds. Any wetness transfers to the outside of the bag, too, so depending on type may not be the best thing to put wet swimsuits into luggage.

5 Likes

Eventually we will get to the point where everyone one will have their own plastic with them to shop, to take wet laundry in, to take their leftovers home. Single use plastics have to go. It’s amazing to me that 35 years ago in Europe I had to have my own shopping bag and the US still hasn’t caught up.

3 Likes

I know that I’m very biased but that’s one of the things I like about having so many European guests. They don’t expect the rentals to have things like ziplock bags, single-use plastics and so on.

They are also conscientious about recycling as a rule.

5 Likes

I’m sorry but I have to say that every time I read this thread title I’m programmed to have negative thoughts (“here, let me help you pack” :slight_smile: ) @Primdawg must be some kind of angel unaware.

1 Like