HELP! Airbnb had just decided to close down my "hosting" portion of my account not the travelling while my account was currently being suspended for 30 days from a recent 1 star review

That’s awesome advice and info…thankyou very much. I’ll try just that. I never used Twitter before but I’ll download it and give it a shot.

1 Like

That’s what I been hearing. I’m going to download twitter and give it a shot. I never used Twitter before but someone had given me a couple tips on what to do

I never uploaded ID when I first started hosting. I wasn’t asked to and haven’t been since, so my account also only lists phone number and email address. I’ve never travelled as a guest, but figured I’d have to do the ID thing if I did, as most hosts wants to see that, I gather.

1 Like

really? the platform is removing sketchy guests? that’s not happening where i am, i get three or four suspicious party-type requests for every good guest with reviews who are able to instabook. and i’m having a real problem getting help with a theft of a recent guest that has been ‘in’ resolution for well over a week

1 Like

One of your guests was stolen?! Wow …

Sorry - when I read it quickly it struck me as funny. Hope that works out for you.

2 Likes

When I signed up in November 2018, ID verification was not presented as an option, it was just part of the host account creation process. However, afterward, I read that it was optional with the only real consequence being that a host could not require guest ID verification if the host had not done so her/himself. I suspect Airbnb is pushing ID verification on hosts for “trust and safety” reasons and that they are just trying to make it more difficult for hosts in specific countries to sign up without it.

As far as I know, it’s only in Canada and the USA, but they have some very specific rules and it would be easy for a guest to avoid them with a tiny amount of planning. I think these are the criteria:

• Guest is under 25-years-old
  • Guest is local
  • Listing is entire-place
  • Booking is short-notice
  • Length of stay is 1 or 2 days

I don’t think it’s ever been disclosed what local means (e.g. does it mean that the guest’s address is less than 20 miles from the list address) or how short-notice the booking can be, but it seems like 1- and 2-day advance notice bookings are being flagged.

No, this isn’t about removing sketchy guests- it’s about an algorithm that identifies the most common combination of factors for an illegal party. It doesn’t mean the guest who made the booking is sketchy and it doesn’t mean they couldn’t book something else that didn’t have those factors. , for instance, they could book a private room in a home-share.

They are muttering about introducing it in the UK but have already had a legal kicking, in the press, for being illegal (age discrimination) under the Equalities Act.

A well known law firm, Leigh Day & Co, are threatening them with action under the Act,. Leigh Day are a firm that you would only want on your side. They love taking on the big boys! They’ve probably already sent out what’s called a Letter before Action.

I would groan when one of these fell across my desk, usually on behalf of parents objecting to changes to statutory care packages for a disabled child.

But they were fantastic when I took an employer to Tribunal, for unfair dismissal for whistle blowing. The payout got me a new kitchen, and the Director of Social Services was sacked for gross misconduct.

So I wish AirBnB well!

PS: forgot to say I got his job too.

2 Likes

Already getting rolled out in Scotland it appears:

JF

That’s because Scots throw the “best” parties.

1 Like

I remember 4 of us coming out of a ceilidh in Edinburgh at 5 in the morning, singing in beautiful 4 part Belhaven 80 harmony, only to have a policeman ask us to sing quietly so as to not wake the patients in the hospital across the street. Mind you, that’s all I remember of that night/morning. I don’t remember how I got back to where I was staying. :wink:

Yes, we do.

Never had you down as a lightweight D, maybe we should revise the itinerary for when you get yourself over here :wink:

JF

1 Like

and “under trained” and “under empowered.”

1 Like

Thats it right there, they have no power to solve anything. They need to vet hosts, and then allow the hosts to run their own businesses. If only. The bar is too low to become a host, therefore they feel the need to manage everything.

RR

4 Likes

Joan, you are so badass!

I’d actually characterize them as under-trained and overpowered. They often give out faulty information, refuse to escalate or let you talk to a supervisor, make decisions which often go against Airbnb policy, and close cases which haven’t been at all resolved.

5 Likes

I so empathize with you on this part…luckily i am now doing things a little differently to minimize these.

These guests that cancel should only be able to leave reviews if they don’t cancel at lest 24 hours before check-in (if you have a flexible check-in time then they seem to use 3pm as their time to calculate from).