Have your guests ever asked you about some nice furniture/homeware you have?

I completely agree! And my town is based primarily on artists and restaurants. They have to be successful for the rest of the town to be successful. People wouldn’t come stay with us if our town wasn’t as cute as a passel of puppies :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Thank you :blush: I just left there and miss it already.

2 Likes

Naan’s at home can be challenging, mainly due to the fact they’re usually made in a tandoor which generates up to 480c. I’ve heard of standalone domestic pizza ovens that can reach 350c, but haven’t seen one in action.

I make naan and roti fairly often, the breads from Indian restaurants here are pretty abysmal, if you’re used to the real thing. It’s curious, as we have one particularly good Indian restaurant, their food is excellent, but their breads are very poor. I suspect they don’t actually have a proper tandoor oven. Occasionally, we’ll order a home delivery and I’ll make some naan or roti instead of ordering theirs!

I made these last week, pretty straightforward and while not as “puffy” as a traditional naan, they had a decent flavour and weren’t doughy or tough. They have some dried oregano and dehydrated garlic in them, this is totally optional as they taste good enough on their own.

As regards the “sourdough” element, I think you’ll know your starter better them me, so I’m just going to suggest around 50g or so of active starter, and adjust the flour to keep it from being too wet. You’re not looking for the same rise as bread. When I’m doing these I use fast action yeast, as opposed to fresh or the dehydrated bakers yeast I normally use.

This enough for four small, roughly 10" diameter, or two larger naan. The old pan I use is perfect for the 10" size.

300g flour (half and half plain/bread flour)
35g Butter
165ml Milk and yoghurt mix (60/40)
5g fast action yeast
Teaspoon of salt
Some melted butter for brushing

Add the butter to the milk/yoghurt mixture and either in a pan or microwave, heat till butter is melted. Let it cool then add to the dry ingredients, mix well then knead for a few minutes.

Give it a thirty minute or so first prove and then portion it out, roll into discs approx 5mm thick and let them rest for 15/20mins covered with a tea towel.

Heat a pan as high as you dare, brush a little bit of butter over the bread and slap it in the pan, buttery side down. Once it starts to puff in places, check the bottom and if it’s cooked enough flip it over and let the top char.

I suspect it’ll be trial and error to get them right using a sourdough starter, it took me a few attempts to get this recipe right as it’s essentially an amalgam of other folks recipes. It suits us as it’s minimal work for maximum flavour and eatability :grinning:

JF

2 Likes

@JohnF - your recipes are swoonable! Can’t wait to try this :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My food and baking has been described as everything from seriously shite to so moreish that the individual wished to marry me, which give that lady her due, she eventually did :rofl:

It has never, ever, ever, been described as “swoonable”. Even by my girls, who tend to be somewhat biased, so I’m going to print the above out and stick on my extractor hood.

:wink:

JF

3 Likes

Thanks @KKC for your insight. I have read about programs like yours a few years back, not sure those exist anymore (thought I have seen something with Sonder & Wayfair that are more recent).
I assume that it depends on the product and also what the brand really sees as the value. I believe the value to be more around people discovering it, having it front of mind, or trying it after previously hearing about it. So maybe expecting a sale is not the right way to go about it, and is more like buying the space of an ad (without making it tacky and annoying).

I have seem some of the previous posts @KKC and @Brian_R170, really appreciate taking the time to point me to them. My big question is if there is something there - cause I wonder why all of these people circling the idea for quite a while. Maybe took the wrong approach, maybe wrong timing, would pay to know (curious cat) :slight_smile:

Why do you think it hasn’t worked?
The obvious answer is that it aims to sell at guests which us guests seem to really don’t wanna do. But not all attempts have been very salesy, I think someone tried to replicate the product placement from movies.
Would love to get your take on it…

Thanks for your insight! No harm in asking, all of the knowledge you shared is super interesting.
I do think is sad some lost the appreciation for quality things. What I think though is that if you ‘advertised’ the lacquer furniture restoration that would not have been perceived as selling but rather as a uniqueness that you create your own furniture. I would have loved to know :slight_smile:

Thanks for sharing the event :slight_smile: That is similar to what I have been asked!
I guess this is quite common in the publishing business. People know that when they click a link on a blog, that blogger gets a small commission, but the person buying pays exactly the same.
So there would be no reason to feel bad, as the money either goes in your pocket (where they stayed, and loved) or in the brand’s pocket. If we are talking about a small local artisan, then surely I would not want to take that away from him/her. But if It would be the case with a larger brand/corporation, then I would not mind I guess.
In blogs people say it overtly (they are also required by law), and nobody minds it…

But I do see how that would feel unnatural at first. Thanks again!

That is a fresh perspective and also appreciated. Will consider a way to impart that to my guests. Good luck…

1 Like

I’ve gotten several compliments and inquiries about my great mattress. I’ve been embarrassed to tell guests It’s an old innerspring tarted up with a 4 inch cool memory foam topper.
I think they made traditional mattresses better back in the day. I went to flip the “newer” (9 years old) mattress on my bed upstairs, and realized it was only one-sided, with a naked frame covered by some flimsy material on the reverse.

1 Like

My guests have also commented on how comfy the bed is. All it is, is a 4" slab of good quality firm foam with a 2" softer foam topper, not even anything as fancy as memory foam. I have the same on my own bed. In fact, I’ve always had foam mattresses- I don’t like real mattresses, they’re far too cumbersome and heavy.

When I clean the guest room, with the foam mattress, I can flip the wooden bedframe on its side and vacuum the underside of it. Something I find essential living in the tropics where ants and scorpions can make a home in any nook and cranny that doesn’t get cleaned regularly. Plus I can easily slide the whole bed from one side of the room to the other to vacuum and mop. I’d never be able to that with a normal mattress.

1 Like

I think the main problem is that if the goal is to make more money, then people will be more salesy in the presentation, and that includes both the host and any service that they use.

This is not a fair comparison. Bloggers get thousands to millions of views for each piece of content they publish and only a very small percentage of viewers click on the ads and even smaller make purchases. Compare that to a typical Airbnb listing that gets less than 100 reservations per year.

2 Likes

I actually had a guest ask me where I got a throw blanket. I told her she could have it. It’s a longer story but she again thanked me the other day. It was only ten dollars from Ross and was glad to get a new throw in there.

1 Like

It’s as active as a quick rise yeast if I feed it ahead of time. I use it for pizza as well as bread and waffles.

I have sold sets of our sheets to two different guests, but just for cost, not profit. We buy them in bulk from a hotel supplier and they are really nice but not possible to purchase on a small scale so it felt helpful to provide for the guests.

We’ve also hooked up guests both with a photographer we know and a painter we know when guests have asked about their artwork that is hanging. I just give them the card for the artist, I don’t participate beyond that.

I have let guests take books that they have asked to buy them. If it’s one I don’t mind parting with then I just let them take it gratis. We have so many books in the units and in the halls so it’s not a big deal.

A lot of people ask about a couch in one of our units. It’s a custom silk velvet couch that is down filled. It doesn’t have any brand tags on it and you can see it’s custom if you look at the “bones”. We got it at the Salvation Army. I suspect it was a “don’t actually sit on that” couch as it looks brand new. It would be clearly out of my budget otherwise so I have no idea where one could get a similar couch. We sometimes joke that we should just get rid of it because we always feel unhelpful when guests ask about it. Another unit has a couch from Ikea that I’m always surprised about people asking where to get it. I have an easy answer for them but don’t see them but they always seem disappointed when I tell them.

I know, it’s the actual quantity that will take a wee bit of juggling, maybe :wink:

JF

@JJD - do you mind advising where you get your sheets? I just started with a hotel supply company (HD Supply Solutions) and have been pleased with them. I think they were a little confused when they delivered to my residence but were okay with it. The little boy across the street was thrilled though, yelling “Bigggggg truck!!!” over and over. Hahah!

Of course. These guys are so awesome. They’re really good about reaching out about order status and stuff, really nice and a decent amount of variety. We get most of our linens there, sheets and towels, even the kithen towels. We have had the oxford super t-300 sheets and then upgraded later to the villa capri. But they are both really good.

1 Like

Thank you! I remember seeing their company. I’ll check them out. It is always comforting to know someone comes recommended. Thx!

1 Like

Hi Can I know where do u get the mattresses