Ever had guests who were no shows?

I have a whole condo rental with a Ring Doorbell. Guests were supposed to check in yesterday after 3 pm, but never showed. It’s almost noon and I’m wondering if I should message her—I’m hesitant because I hate to make people uncomfortable about the doorbell camera before they even arrive—like I’m watching it all the time—but I do check it at arrival time to make sure there aren’t extra guests or pets. It’s weird because she messaged me the day before wanting check-in information—gate code and door code—which I normally send out the morning of arrival, but she said she’s OCD and wanted to go ahead and get all of her ducks in a row. I hope nothing has happened to them.
If I didn’t have a camera I wouldn’t know they weren’t there so I’m wondering whether or not to message them. Ever had guests not show up at all?

Yes I have and I’ve not messaged them. Also I’ve had guests arrive on the day after check in for various reasons. (Transport problems usually but some weirder things too!)

1 Like

When traveling I might not have access to data on my phone, so I might not be able to pull up any info that morning. You might consider sending things out the night before and emphasize the checkin time.

Thanks. I don’t think I’ll message her. But I’m hoping she didn’t get her days mixed up because the day she’s supposed to check-out is booked.

1 Like

That could be one explanation but the details of her dates are plain as day on the app or website. So if she has made a mistake, she’ll realise that it was her fault.

1 Like

I once showed up to a hotel a week after my reservation…

I have also had a couple no shows, people who come a day late and one who checked in for 3 days and left the first night without saying anything. I never ask, the time they booked is theirs regardless if they use it or not.

RR

1 Like

Yes, a time or two. I always message my guests, especially if not meeting them in person. I don’t think there’s anything odd about it.

A lot of hosts sure are weird about talking to their guests.

5 Likes

Just send her a message like “just checking in to ensure the condo meets your expectations. If you need anything, please let me know.”

3 Likes

I’m a great communicator, but I try not to be in their business.

That’s what I’ll do, thanks! Because if she has her days mixed up she needs to know.

2 Likes

I don’t think there’s anything off-putting about mentioning that you didn’t see anyone check in yesterday on your ring doorbell and ask them if they’re okay. I assume you disclose the doorbell in your listing, so the guest would already know about it.

1 Like

I agree with @muddy. We’ve had no-shows, and I always text them to see if everything is okay.

I had a weird one last fall. She had her dates mixed up.

It was especially odd since I sent a reminder message the day before the booking (to which she did not reply), not to mention the confirmation message on the day of booking and the reservation confirmation from Airbnb.

She wanted me to cancel the guests that had reserved for her preferred dates.

1 Like

This is why I always send the check in information on the app AND direct text, usually they respond on text and then I communicate via text going forward. Most travelers do not have notifications set up for the app in my experience.

RR

1 Like

I’ve also started sending a direct text on the day of check in. This way, if anything happens, they have my mobile number handy and don’t have to go on a hunt for it.

2 Likes

Yep I had a no show a month ago. A couple of days later he sent me a message he couldnt make it. I offered him a massive discount for his next visit as I had already been paid. Then a week later Airbnb sent me a message saying they had provided a full refund.

Refund for what? They did not even contact you until after the reservation was over . What did Air say exactly?

RR

1 Like

Here is what they said exactly "We’re reaching out because your guest XXXXXXXX decided to cancel their reservationXXXXXXXXXXXJ with you under our extenuating circumstances policy. We have refunded your guest in full.

As you have already been paid for this reservation, we have applied an adjustment to your account in the amount of £261.83, which will be deducted from future payouts.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and sincerely appreciate your understanding.

Sylvie"

Oh the host provided travel insurance program…

If I thought I could get through on the phone I would have challenged them, EC is BS.

They did not cancel before or even during the reservation, maddening.

RR

Maybe they did (or tried to, but couldn’t), and due to Airbnb issues, it took that long to process.