Do people swap your stuff

Yes, something similar happened to me. I had a decent set of skillets and someone switched the entire set out for three other skillets - something cheap and flimsy from the dollar store. It was very deliberate. After that incident, my cleaners open and photograph every drawer/cabinet in the kitchen after it’s cleaned and they check against photos before they begin the turnover.

3 Likes

Happens all the time. There’s a thread here where it is discussed. It isn’t common but I’m guessing it it a 1 x per 18 months for me

Several times I’ve had people leave their pillows and NOT take mine. The pillows that were left were flat and poor quality. Maybe after sleeping on mine they were reminded what a pillow should be and so abandoned their old one but were honest folks and didn’t take mine? :joy:

2 Likes

You are joking, aren’t you?

If not, then you’ve just won the biggest overreaction post of the year, if not the decade.

:roll_eyes:

JF

3 Likes

Not really, since half of the dishes and glasses were missing. Appreciate the positive feedback. Isn’t this a forum for SUPPORT, not judgement? I didn’t realize that I was on Facebook :roll_eyes:
Have a wonderful day

It wasn’t, it was pretty negative I reckon, intentionally.

No, it is not a support forum, hence the title:

This forum is dedicated to connecting hosts with other hosts.

So, before you put the plastic cups, plates, saucers and tumblers in, half your stuff was missing anyway? At least that’s the way it reads to me.

Must have been a real treat for any guest who wanted to cook and eat dinner at your place. Lends a whole new meaning to the term “sharing plates” :rofl:

Guest one to guest two “hey, you finished with that cup mate?”.

You really couldn’t make up some of this stuff!

JF

2 Likes

No. This is just assorted people across the globe who find this forum. It’s public and anyone can read it without joining. People join and are anonymous to the extent they choose to be so; we don’t even know if people who post here are really hosts.

People will state their opinions, “free speech” and all that. Another feature/bug here is that instead of answering your question they will tell you what you did/are doing incorrectly.

1 Like

No, it isn’t. It’s a privately owned forum that has nothing to do with Airbnb apart from the fact that we’re all hosts. It a place for hosts to meet up and connect. It has nothing to do with support.

2 Likes

I’m a fan of Tupperware tumblers. Our guests use the same tumblers we do. I buy the tumbler sets that are four or six different colors. I do this for purely selfish reasons: 1. I can identify my tumbler all day, as I keep refilling my water glass. 2. I have occasionally knocked one of them over. No breakage.

Now if guests have wine to drink, we happily supply our beautiful French crystal stemware. Unless they’re drinking in our pool. Then we give them plastic wine glasses.

For dishware, it’s all Corelle, so mainly unbreakable. I wouldn’t supply plastic plates, bowls, and mugs because plain white Corelle looks nice and is lightweight, even when I’m putting 12 plates away.

But plastic isn’t always bad.

I recently bought three different kinds of double walled tumblers. After I went in the guest room and found a plastic tumbler sitting in a pool of moisture, I made the move. And I have friends that are also guilty of not using coasters. I’ll be experimenting with which I prefer in the Airbnb room. I do wonder if something this nice will walk out of the Airbnb room.

2 Likes

I like both of those glasses. I think ammenities depend on the airbnb.
My friend has a rustic cabin - she uses a mix of eclectic items because it fits with her rental and price point of 75.00 a night.
I have a higher price point so my amenities are different than hers. My cottage is about half the price of my beach condo and the amenities at the beach condo are also more high end.
If someone is paying 350.00 a night they will expect a certain level of amenities probably more than plasticware.
Some people will take them just to take them is always my assumption so I just build that into cost of doing business.
I just think this toaster swap is hilarious more than anything because who swaps toasters!!!??? Where are they going??? Lol

3 Likes

I have those stainless tumblers for camping, and my wife uses the double-wall glass cups for her coffee. I wouldn’t recommend either for an Airbnb listing. The stainless steel cups have a taste (iron) and can get jammed together when stacked. The glass cups are extremely fragile.

If I rented a place where I found all the dishware to be plastic, I’d for sure call that out in the review if it wasn’t mentioned in the listing info.

I didn’t even use plastic dishware for my kids when they were little. They didn’t break anything more often than adults do.

1 Like

This same brand/style? Because one already got knocked off a table by a dog and it didn’t break or crack. But it’s an odd shaped thing that maybe hit just right?

I have a smaller version of the stainless cup and haven’t had problems with them. We shall see. In any case I have the less appealing insulated tumblers. They also have lids and straws which could help for spills but be tempting to take on road trips.

I guess there is no such thing as the perfect drinkware for an Airbnb?

1 Like

I would be put off by having to use plastic plates and dishes. I’m not sure if it would be enough to mention in a review, but I probably wouldn’t come back.

I agree that removing all glass and ceramic was probably an overreaction. If glass and ceramic items were a real problem, then it would be common for hosts to remove them, but that’s not the case. However, if there’s something about your listing that attracts a specific kind of guest (rowdy sports fans, drunken college students, etc.), then it could be warranted.

The stainless cups definitely are the same. The glass cups maybe not as my wife bought those, not me. However, we’ve been through at least 5 different brands over the last couple years (because they keep breaking).

If these end up lasting I’ll let you know. I’ve only had them a month or so.

My guests are gracious enough to completely disappear what I presume are ruined/broken things. Resulting in no shards but simply missing glasses, missing mugs, missing tea towels, missing washcloths, etc. Cost of doing business, I just replace 'em.

I’ve had luck in my second home with the French Duralex; it’s pretty sturdy.

1 Like

Yes my suggestion too! Used in cafes everywhere and pretty sturdy for heavy use

I have one entire house AirBnB which has heavy duty Tommy Bahama melamine dishes that people seem to love. The same house also has Blue Willow China for those who don’t want to use melamine. The house has a patio and large gas grill so lots of meals are eaten outside so some type of fairly indestructible dish ware is essential.