Do people swap your stuff

Last summer I started hosting my cottage. A guest (my 3rd ever as a host) sent me a message that read “loved your place, but maybe upgrade your toaster” I thought that was odd since I had purchased a new toaster before hosting. Well SOMEONE swapped my toaster to an absolutely filthy old toaster.
I added it to my list for the cleaner to check because she nor I were checking so I wasn’t sure which guest actually swapped (either guest 1 or guest 2).
Fast forward to today. I swear on my life someone swapped my toaster AGAIN!
Does this happen to people? Nothing else has ever gone missing (I thought for sure towels would wander away). Why the toaster? Is there some sort of underground toaster swap society? I hope they get crumbs in their luggage…

Have had pillows and towels swapped out……

2 Likes

Seriously?

Sack the cleaner, or yourself.

JF

Who carries around an old toaster to swap out.
Even more astounding is this happened to you twice.

10 Likes

This time the old 1985 toaster. The last renters of course are claiming they didn’t even use the toaster. Airbnb is of course no help

1 Like

It’s bizarre! Why a toaster? Are they packing them to bring or going on vacation then hitting up garage sales. I know it’s only a toaster but it’s the swapping of old toasters that has me baffled.

3 Likes

I had a pillow swapped out. I don’t know why, it’s wasn’t an expensive or nice pillow.

As for toasters, that’s really odd. They aren’t unique, beautiful or expensive.

a $20 toaster, or a old, dirty …$2 toaster isn’t worth contacting Airbnb for.

If neither you nor your cleaner even notice a nasty old toaster in your kitchen then I doubt you have the pictures or receipts required to give as evidence to Airbnb that you had a toaster in the first place.

1 Like

It is the fact that my new toasters keep getting swapped with these old gross toasters. I’m now on my 3rd new toaster purchase because people keep swapping them. The toaster is in a cupboard lazy Susan which is why the first time it wasn’t checked. This time I know for sure it was these guests that took it.

That was my point in my previous post. Beggars belief…

JF

1 Like

I’ve been on this forum almost every day for 6 years and I’ve never heard of that happening. So I don’t think anyone here is going to be of any help. I guess you just keep getting burned. LOL.

7 Likes

I don’t recall anything being swapped but a large Tommy Bahama beach towel was lifted (stolen) by my last guest.

Filthy bastards.

1 Like

Does your cleaner have a helper?

I’ve had guests leave old pillows & take my new. Towels & wash cloths go missing frequently.

Small appliances stay including my hairdryers.

This is someone bringing in old appliances on purpose & taking new. Check your coffee pot & blender.

1 Like

Love that. :slight_smile:

But no, in many years of hosting I’ve never had anything stolen or swapped. I’d worry about the cleaner…

4 Likes

Your black toaster is admittedly a nice toaster, but for someone to swap it out is very preposterous! I’ve have only ever had items lost, stolen, or damaged, but never swapped! Part of what I ask my cleaners( ever since items began to go missing) is to check items that are valuable to the property before they begin their cleaning. I guess i’ll add toasters to this list now too! Sorry to hear a guest did this though.

2 Likes

Twice it has happened. I’m on my 3rd toaster LOL
One of my friends suggested making it a swapping challenge with a flip book of past toasters. :rofl:

7 Likes

I buy my toasters at garage sales. But folks have to fly to get here, so have limited luggage space.

2 Likes

Maybe its the cleaner running a racket in second hand but quality toasters to other Airbnb hosts whose toaster she has swapped? Did she offer you a cheap replacement?

1 Like

I’ve had pillows switched (augh!!) but nothing else swapped.

Do you have a second-hand store near by? If they broke the toaster they might buy a cheap replacement. If it had happened once, I’d think someone replaced it but more than once is really odd.

2 Likes

I agree with Jaquo - sounds like an inside job to me, too…

2 Likes

We have never had this happen. Once my husband stained a pillowcase when we were guests and I found an identical set of pillowcases at a local store. I left the new and stained one with a note pointing out our replacement. I could see someone breaking something and thinking that replacing it would avoid a hassle, but replacing something with a junky version is a mystery.