Decorative cushions on beds...why, just why?

…or a pupper!

1 Like

Tomcat spray is concentrated ammonia. The best way to kill it is to spray raw bleach, but I am not terribly subtle with toms. It is also very good for repelling critters from the garbage.

Pillows can take on a very human smell, especially from young men. Ammonia works. I also like to hang pillows outside in the sun.

1 Like

I’m reading this in bed now, with pillows and cushions propping my crap back up.

I should get up.

3 Likes

I do the same, I used to throw them across the room somewhere in the corner.
My wife has now learned, 2 or 3 good pillows for comfort are ok, but 9 small ones just for decoration, not allowing me to sit anywhere, are unacceptable… if she wants them, she can collect them at least once a day.

And beds are for sleeping… not for watching tv, or reading, especially in a guest room.
I have no TV’s in guest bedrooms, because watching TV in bedrooms will encourage drinks and snacks in bed, which will results in spills and extra cleaning.

1 Like

I sort of like the little bit of flair they can add, but I don’t like the extra work. I have had thoughts of velcro-ing them all together so you could pick the whole work of art up, en mass, and deposit it elsewhere. I just put a small printed tape on the back of my (few, small) decorative pillows that’s says, “If I’m in your way, just put me in a drawer.” Each room has a pretty large dresser that rarely gets used, so I figured it couldn’t hurt to make the suggestion.

2 Likes

I like them because they look good in photos and look nice when you first show someone into a room.
Other that that not much use :slight_smile: I dont have them on my own bed.

3 Likes

Give that dog a cushion :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is my throw pillow for the sofas when we are living in the house. When the house becomes an Airbnb, he goes with us, the tacky sofa protectors go away, and I put real throw pillows with removable, washable covers in the living room.

5 Likes

Well … yes. But unless a host only has single people, guests are going to get up to other activities in bed. (With single people too, but that’s best left to individual interpretation).

Admittedly we host mainly couples (one bedroom apartments) but no matter who you host, you’ll more than likely be familiar with a variety of bodily fluids. I don’r want these bodily fluids on yet more stuff I have to launder.

Worse still, I don’t want those bodily fluids to be on the bed of an Airbnb place I’m staying in.

It’s lovely that so many people consider their decor to such an extent that they have pretty little pillows, flowered or patterned bedspreads and so on, but I guarantee that for me anyway as a guest, I’d chuck them all onto the floor. That’s not because I don’t believe everyone here who says that these things are laundered after every guest, it’s just second nature to avoid them.

I imagine that some guests are definitely like me in that regard.

4 Likes

Well, people do use the phrases “sleeping with…” or “sleeping together”

You’re right, though, it does seem like all hosts need to realize that guests use their beds for all of the same activities that anybody else uses beds, and it’s not just laying down and going to sleep.

1 Like

1 Like

Okay, okay, you Mean Bullies … I’ve washed them.

(My awful photography, btw, wouldn’t put it in my Airbnb pics)

6 Likes

I use large pillows to save space in lieu of a headboard.

Yes, that’s what I’ve been using. It does seem to help. Thankfully it’s pouring with rain at the moment so hostilities in the cat neighbourhood have ceased for a while.

Now they really are pretty cushions and also big enough to be actually useful! The ones I was talking about in the initial post are the teeny decorative ones that serve no real purpose other than decoration.

1 Like

I agree. Why have impersonal cushions on a bed when you can have friendly dolls to make the single traveller feel they are sleeping amongst friends.
creepy%20dolls%20on%20bed%202

9 Likes

:scream: That is enough to have me jump out of the window!!

3 Likes

Please tell me that’s not a photo from an Airbnb!

2 Likes

I don’t remember one about kettles? Unless it was why Americans don’t seem to have electric kettle?

Yes, the kettle one is an older debate. If you’d like to read for fun here are some threads about it

https://airhostsforum.com/search?q=kettle