Decorative cushions on beds...why, just why?

OMG! 5 decorative pillows in addition to the 4 regular pillows? The presentation says “don’t lay down here.” :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I’m trying hard not to be sexist, but … on the whole, men don’t understand cushions. The Husband always throws the sofa ones on the floor before sitting down. I have enough to open a second-hand cushion shop.

However, I am going to try to convince @Magwitch with a really practical reason … reading in bed. On our own bed we have a pair of large cushions because a pair of ordinary pillows is really not enough for comfortable reading. And if you don’t read in bed? Well, I’m sorry, but you’re just not the sort of person I wish to know …

6 Likes

I don’t care for throw pillows on my own bed, but they do look nice for the photos. I don’t use them in my Airbnb room, instead I have 6 pillows propped up nicely against the headboard. That way people can usually find a pillow they like and they have plenty of pillows to use to sit up in bed. I can wash the pillow cases more easily than a decorative throw pillow sham. So far this seems to be working.

1 Like

'Cause I’m a dork, and knitted a wolf face throw pillow; that’s why.

13 Likes

OMG that little thing is so adorable. I’d pay premium price if s/he was sitting on my bed at a rental!!

3 Likes

:rofl: Yes, I get the need for some sturdy pillows /additional bolster cushions for the bed. But I’m talking about the teeny little things that just decorate - they are of zero practical use apart from those mentioned by @jaquo. Yikes, I hadn’t actually thought of those sort of uses.

And just to gross everyone out - these cushions don’t get washed. Ever. They’re dry-clean only things with non-removable covers. I’m not going to put them out any more. The owner is probably selling the property after this season so refuses to spend anything on replacing items. I can see that I’m going to have to use some of my own stuff on occasions because… well, let’s just say my standards are different to hers.

1 Like

just for “giggles” or the ‘gross factor’, let’s guess how many of those decorative fabric items on the posted photos get washed at every turnover?

3 Likes

Ew, ew, ew, ew.

Ew, ew again.

1 Like

I’m going with zero…!!

1 Like

I have 2 very large pillows to prop you up. Great for pregnant women. To clean I throw ammonia on them and set the dryer on high for thirty minutes.

@atHomeinCary Maybe your guests enjoy the look, but I find it a bit too Spartan and lacking in “warmth”…

Ammonia? Seriously? That smells like cat pee, doesn’t it?

2 Likes

@atHomeinCary I hope you don’t mind if I suggest replacing the tiny art for a large piece (go to a TJMaxx, Ross or Marshall’s or even a HomeGoods and you can get something lovely for $30 on clearance). What about a headboard?

by the way, I use decorative pillows but I only buy the ones with a zipper so that I can remove and wash regularly (yes, they do get washed!!!).

2 Likes

Ammonia is a deodorizer. There is a flash of awful, and then it airs out. The heat kills anything.

Looks like we will have to add bed cushions our great debates about duvets and kettles.

4 Likes

I just threw ours away. They won’t be replaced.

We use all the pillows - even the decorative ones. They prop us up when we are watching TV in bed, along with the sleeping ones.

6 Likes

Interesting. Does it actually kill tomcat spray? My cat is having a turf war with a new cat in the neighbourhood…
And where do you buy it? And what do you mean by “the heat”?

Jings, how did we get from cushions to cat spray??

or a nightstand with a nice lamp.

1 Like