Airbnb paying 25% based on your cancellation policy?

Actually I just read a post over on the CC where one host said they just got a payout notice that they would get that on one of their cancelled bookings. And was also told that those 25%s aren’t going to be paid out one by one, as you would normally get paid for bookings- several are going to be added up and paid as a lump sum. I guess that sending paltry amounts like $7.23 isn’t worth their while. Or they figure it’ll psychologically look like more if they send it like that.

2 Likes

I imagine the transfers cost something maybe? And if nothing else, just the administration cost of having to send multiple small amounts? It makes sense to just send a lump sum, to me anyway. Are hosts upset about it? I can’t see why it matters?

1 Like

No, it was just that one post and she didn’t say she was upset about it, just was reporting that she’d actually seen that payout in her pending payouts and was given the info by CS that they’d be sent out in lump sums. I’d certainly imagine it costs them something to transfer money, but I’d think it’s just some one-time payment arrangement with the 3rd party transfer service, rather than being charged for each individual transfer, but who knows. Not I.

The moderators are NOT DOING THEIR jobs. And if you flag all the liberal posts, YOU get tagged for “flagging too much”:Of course the liberal moderators ALLOW LIBERALS TO FLAG people who respond to their political spew. MODERATORS THAT ALLOW THIS SHOULD BE BANNED. OR change the topic to “.Liberal views on COVID -19”

To all forum members: please let Nell have her say. I’d really like her posts to remain visible on the forum.

4 Likes

Yup, in public, forever.

RR

8 Likes

The debate here is being echoed across the nation. And hundreds of people “lurking” each day. We are going to see in very short order whose counsel was spot on and whose was not. Let’s not pretend none of the 40% of Americans who say they approve of Trump aren’t STR hosts.

1 Like

Airbnb made it clear that they combining the individual reservation payout into one larger payout per month. While they didn’t say it explicitly, you can deduce that any one host’s listing will not receive more than 3 separate payouts since the entire covered period from March 14 - May 31 is less than 3 months long. I imagine they will separate payouts per listing, though, since each listing can have a different payout method.

1 Like

I think it’s good that we are all talking here! It would be great to keep businesses going, but what steps should we take to “open up the country” when it is dangerous to congregate in groups, from Georgiahost’s smaller town that has such a high incidence of infection after some widely-attended funerals, to NYC where the transportation staff, delivery people, grocers, and others who are not wealthy but essential to keep things running are exposed to illness on a daily basis? The idea that taking some calibrated risks on relaxing coronavirus shutdowns might be the cost of maintaining the economy has been entertained by some mainstream, not just fringe, economists. Of course, what may seem acceptable in the abstract is experienced differently when it is personal – what if it is your Dad, your sister, your spouse who is collateral damage?
I think where the pundits are missing the boat is in having a goal to sustain exactly the same economic structures and functions. I think business will be transformed by this event, not just negatively in terms of recession, but positively in finding ways to reinvent (restructuring supply systems, technology changes to support even more work that can be done remotely, etc.) Capitalism is very good at finding ways to create markets.
Post-pandemic, giving poor people the opportunity to work is not sufficient. We also need to address the opportunity to work for a living wage, not facing financial ruin due to job loss or a medical issue, and not having to trade eating for paying rent, or trade keeping your home for sending your children to university or advanced technical training.
I am perturbed by many government actions, too many to count, but as an Airbnb host, who is modestly monetizing some real estate to supplement my income, I am really pissed off about the stimulus package removing the $500,000 cap on writing off real estate depreciation against capital gains.

If you already have $500,000 in capital gains, why do you need more help? I know, the real estate industry has always been a lobbying powerhouse (look at the breaks already built into the tax code), and it’s probably no coincidence that things are getting even better for them with the current occupant of the White House and family involved in real estate.
This is only one example of the dangers of concentrated wealth in this country, and why I think “opening up the country,” when medically safe to do so, is not sufficient to help the poor. I think Elizabeth Warren got it right, that all the questions about health care, education, environment, boiled down to one thing – who has the money, and who buys influence. “The deck is stacked” against the poor. She learned this when researching personal bankruptcies early in her career (back when she was a conservative!). It wasn’t that people were irresponsible or unwilling to work, it’s that they were financially devastated by a job loss or medical issue.
Although I cannot see a path to it in the current environment, I think we must reverse the Citizens United decision whereby the U.S. Supreme Court held that the free speech clause of the First Amendment prohibits any limit on independent expenditures for political communications by corporations. Whether it’s Bezos or the Kochs, liberal or conservative billionaires, a shadow government by oligarchs is a bad thing.
OK, rant over.

5 Likes

Please, rant on you shining diamond!

Maybe a job in the Biden Admin awaits you?

I’m sure I’m not the only one who thinks the delay between the Trump admin getting the first briefings about the virus in early January and his finally admitting that tens of thousands would die was all about him, his family and his cronies, liquidating assets and positioning themselves to take advantage. He’ll be golfing at Mar-a-largo next year while millions of his cult members are declaring bankruptcy.

3 Likes
  1. I think what the moderators are doing is admirable. You do realize they are not paid? They are allowing discourse. When it gets heated or repetitive they opt to close the topic and/or suspend disrupters. I see that they are doing what they can about reversing the flags … even those that you have flagged. Irony?
  2. This is not the first topic that has veered off its topic title. Look at any Airhostforum classic title, and you’ll see that many go off topic within 5 posts. Take for instance “Guest left 5 minutes after checking in saying it was too small and not good value” that turned into a debate about Villas, bougainvillea, and Arturo.
  3. For someone that is upset about politics being posted on this topic, you’ve certainly provided a fair share of your opinions. Pot meet Kettle

As they say in the south “BLESS YOUR HEART”.

6 Likes

Why, bless your heart back at you! It is good to know, I can defend our president. As you can see, NOT ONCE DID I EVER INITIATE A POLITICAL COMMENT. But I am not going to sit there and read obnoxious dribble and NOT respond. NOT EXACTLY POT MEET KETTLE. BUT I expect that behavior around Trump. People criticize him THEN HE HITS BACK. Go Back and look, he NEVER initiates. Neither to I. BUT I will take his his lead and HIT BACK.
Bless your little heart for thinking you are a good person.

1 Like

@Nell One of the differences between liberals and Trump republicans is that liberals believe in free speech. So you flagged all the liberal posts, so much that you get a notification for flagging too much. Well, I didn’t flag any of your posts. As far as I’m concerned, you can make as big a fool of yourself in public as you wish.
Posters generally flag posts which are spam, trolls or personal attacks, not just because we don’t agree with someone else’s opinion. Did you come here to discuss hosting, or simply as a forum for your political views? Because there are plenty of online forums which are better suited to that purpose.

9 Likes

I prefer presidents who don’t kill constituents.

10 Likes

It might not be a bad idea, much as I’m reluctant to close threads. But this is getting silly.

I honestly can’t waste my time reading it. And I’m very surprised that some shouty people have the time to write nonsense here when there’s so much they could be doing for the people in their neighbourhood rather than making a menace of themselves on a forum that has nothing (and yes, I’ll shout - NOTHING) to do with politics.

4 Likes

I respectfully disagree. Everything is political and certainly Airbnb is.

2 Likes

You’re right. However, I yearn for the duvet-and-electric-kettle days. :wink:

4 Likes

May they return soon. Along with microfiber vs cotton, whites vs colors and being tired of guests.

3 Likes

Funny how things go… I bet there are quite a few hosts who have complained about being tired of guests in the past and are now lamenting the fact that they have none!

1 Like