1 night minimum stay, anybody doing this?

I a getting my Landlord Insurance and they want to know my minimum stay. I am thinking at least 2 nights because I don’t really want one nighters, although I hate to leave slots open. Any thouhts on this?
I am curious as to what difference it will make on out insurance. I will call them and find out and then post back. I assume that the more turnover I have the more the insurance will be.

1 Like

I have a two night minimum, but if I have an orphan single day between stays I will sometimes open it up for a one night stay but raise the price to make it worth it.

I used to have a one night minimum but found that I really preferred longer stays, less work and less stress.

I have been doing this for all of my hosting. During my peak season (April - October) I’m 100 percent booked. I like it because I make more money from the cleaning fees (I do most of the cleaning myself) and while my STR is a separate space above me, it still gives me my home back during the day. (I work from my home.)

I’m pretty close to Logan Airport in Boston so I get guests that have late flights coming in and early flights going out. They use my place as a one-nighter for their New England Trips.

When I find myself getting a bit burnt out, I do add 2 night stays for the weekends but mostly I get a combination of different amount of stays. I don’t have a full kitchen (Kitchenette) so that also limits who will book.

2 Likes

I did one nighters when I first started in order to get reviews. It was exhausting! I quickly changed it to three nighters.

3 Likes

This.

I have no problem with one nighters at all. I don’t have many but those I do are usually en route to the airport or cruise port or in town for a job interview or similar. So it depends where you are.

But I have a 2 night minimum in the season and one night in the summer.

Turnovers are comparatively quick because one nighter guests hardly use the kitchen. It’s very rare that they do anything that could remotely be called cooking and despite the stay length, I always point out the local delivery menus during the house tour.

2 Likes

Four? Five (?) years now and we’ve always had one nighters. Yes, it’s a tiny bit more work. But that’s why you want to charge a $15-$30 Cleaning Fee.

If you are listing a multiple bedroom space, no, I would not accept one-nighters – otherwise, heck yes!

1 Like

It’s not worth my while to change a room for a one night stay, even with the cleaning fee. I’ve always had a 2 night minimum and don’t accept same day bookings, which discourages troublesome local bookings.

We’re in Lancaster in Northern England, about half-way between the South of England and Scotland - which could be a 500 miles + journey. We get a lot of one-nighters as guests driving to and from like to break their journeys here. It’s good because we get them going one way and then about two weeks later we get them on their way back!

3 Likes

Yes! We have demand for one night stays and when I first started I offered one night stays. I had an issue with max groups (6 in my case) having heavy wear and tear on the house (one group left 6 lawn bags of trash for a one night stay!). After a few months I switched to 2 night minimum.

When Air launched the daily discount rate structured i checked and no one in my area offered a one night stay. I raised my average rate 45% for one night, then discounted 2+ nights. I’m getting occasional single night stays from families passing through and guests for weddings and family events. They tend to check in later and leave early the following day.

Air messages me constantly that I should lower my rates to meet competition. I’m happy with the way it’s working for me.

3 Likes

Where we are, we do get a decent number of 1 night stays, often same day or with 1-2 day notice. So for us, it’s great.

I think this is a very “location dependent” question. If our stay was a seasonal / vacation area, it would be different.

What is your local competition doing?

1 Like

I do one nighter only when it’s more than 100$ per night . I am close to airport so in a begining I had plenty of one nighters . I have 3 rooms, load if work was too much and guests come with their luggage, scratching walls…was not for me . Also different schedules were making me stay at the house and wait for them all day. I would do 2 nights minimum .

We have had a one night minimum from the time we listed, and for the most part, that is the majority of our bookings. Due to our location (we are not a destination but a stop on the way to & from the destination) it is really not an option to require more. I believe if we required more than one night our bookings would drop by at least 50%. With that being said, we have come to enjoy our one night guests! If they aren’t a “great” guest, the damage is minimized by the brevity of their stay. If they are great guests, they typically leave our guesthouse in amazing condition which minimizes our clean up and turn-over. Additionally, those great guests tend to return year after year and have often extended their stay with us to two or more nights. All-in-all, we have accepted this and jokingly refer to ourselves and the “king and queen of the one-night stay!” BTW - our booking rate stays right around 87% year round.

3 Likes

So apparently it a Landlord insurance thing. The property is in Bradenton Florida USA and we are being told that the shorter the stay (one or two nighters) limit the number of insurance carriers who would insure the property. Any suggestions on insurance. Does AirBNB cover any liability and how good is it?

Airbnb says they provide some liability coverage, but from reading the forum, I know that hosts almost never succeed with the claims they file. I wouldn’t county of Airbnb for any reliable coverage.

I have 1 night minimum and 21 day maximum for my listing. Recently I turned on IB and got 4 nights in a row of 1 night guests who were just passing through. That’s almost $250 I wouldn’t have had without IB and 1 night minimum.

Yes, it was a lot of work, but it was worth it from the money standpoint and the guest reviews. Now I only block nights when I’m exhausted (in a good way!) and to give myself a breather.

It’s been great and how I started out, too.

1 Like

My insurer in Canada insisted on a 2 night minimum. Fyi.

No it doesn’t. Or at least, it says it does but trying to claim is more or less a full time job and even then it’s not guaranteed.

It wouldn’t cover you anyway for the things that your proper STR insurance policy will. I’m not sure what landlord insurance is but do be sure that your broker is getting specific STR insurance not just ‘landlord’.

1 Like

I get mostly 1 night stays and very few longer stays. My guests are mainly tourists on quite tight schedules and a small number of people visiting for sports events or conferences. By way of example, in the first quarter of this year my bookings are 23 one-nighters, 18 two-nighters, 5 three-nighters and nothing longer.

This works well for me as, due to the nature of my listing, cleaning can usually be completed in an hour or less.

2 Likes

Au contrair… I do 4 night minimums in season so I dont end up with wkends full and nothing else. I stay surprisingly full with that. I think wkend getaway people book well in advance so when the 4 and 5 day people are looking there is not so much available. I get a lot of 4,5 and6 day guests this way.
I may check out doing one day rentals mid week just to see what happens.

I raised my average rate 45% for one night, then discounted 2+ nights.

How do you do that? Please educate me as this would be a wonderful option for us.