Would love to hear everyone's "RED FLAGS"

Ok, if you say so.

I don’t get this at all.

Ohmygod I LOVED the radiant floor heating in Korea!!! No hot dry air blasting in with a forced air furnace!! When we toured the palace, we learned that this is a longstanding tradition in Korea. We saw in the basement levels of the palace were set up for radiant heating… the servants would heat with wood so the floors would be toasty.

Thank you Helsi, yes, it’s worth to take the time and read through a bit more, so that I understand airbnb a bit more. And especially to be careful for our security, if someone says they were referred by a friend of mine (a lie), and they turn up without their daughter (another lie, he had booked for himself and his daughter). So I shouldn’t have accepted the guest. Now the creep is accusing me of stealing his money from his money box and I just want it all finished. Creep. Thank goodness my other guests have been dream guests, otherwise I’d give up this whole idea altogether.

1 Like

Oh I’ve not left a ‘review’ on him. I did the ‘red flag’ thing, but now i’d better do an honest review, like you suggest, thank you.

1 Like

Posting here because I just received my first extremely questionable inquiry in a long time.

The woman inquiring requested for 1 night for a multiple couple staycation (red flag #1). She told me she would be booking through her friend’s account and not hers (red flag #2). Asks about our one outdoor security camera which is fully disclosed. Asks about if the security deposit is refundable. I answer both. Camera points to the driveway for the purposes of making sure cars don’t block the driveway, sneaking in extra guests, and general safety. She responds requesting if the security camera could be removed for the first part of their stay (RED FLAG #3).

Asking someone to remove a safety feature of the house is absolutely ridiculous to me. I was already getting weird orgy vibes and this just put me over the top.

8 Likes

Your home, your rules, your comfort zone—if you don’t feel good about it decline/cancel.

In their reservation thread, if she is admitting to using someone else’s account, that is your key for Airbnb supporting the cancellation. Guests are only to use their own account for their own reservation.

I’ve had two times that I foolishly made an exception because “I’m booking for my grandparent and he is not computer savvy”. Never again! Information did not get passed to the guest. Plus one reserver left me a review that was bizarre and written as if she had stayed there (she hadn’t).

1 Like

Oh, hell no! The request to book via a friend’s account would be enough to have me report them to Airbnb. They probably won’t remove them and they move on to a less savvy host.

2 Likes

Decline. I would have at the first question! You don’t need the m9ney bad enough to put up with the type of behavior this guest is already telling you she will do. At least she was honest!

Decline. I had similar request early on in my hosting and she was a prostitute!

yes, that’s definitely a decline. it’s shady why she can’t book through her own account, but to remove the security cameras??? i started integrating a mantra from work into hosting that really helps me sift through requests. if it’s not gentle and simple it’s not for us/me. there’s nothing simple about this request

That’s hilarious @AFineHouse I hope you asked her why they would want the camera removed for the first part of her very short stay…The mind boggles as to what reason she could have given.

…A major celeb - who doesn’t want fans finding him

…They are having an orgy and don’t want to be identified

…They are planning to murder someone and don’t want to be caught on camera at the scene

9 Likes

Your second guess was exactly what I thought. I figured with a “multiple couple staycation”, it was a swingers meet-up and they didn’t want all the participants identified.

Great minds…

1 Like

I use Instant Book and therefore have no red flag issues at all.

Works so far … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When a guest’s FIRST communication to me is, “I am a Christian so you know I will take care of your place.” I want to run away

A farmer gave me this gem - “If someone quotes the bible, brand your cattle”.

16 Likes

It’s true. At least she was honest.

@Helsi She indicated that taking down the security camera would be for her husband. I imagine it is his first time at an orgy. :hugs:

2 Likes

Or the hubby is actually a Boyfriend!

3 Likes

I just had this happen. Was the first guest I had to downgrade on cleanliness

1 Like

I have found French guests delightful. I am surprised!

Best to look out for behaviours rather than profile social groups.

Too many questions from a potential booker. Here’s a recent example: How private is your private suite? Like is it completely separate from your house or in the basement? Some hosts say it’s a whole place but it’s really in their basement. And exactly what is your WiFi speed?

1 Like