Would love to hear everyone's "RED FLAGS"

I check my settings and I do have it checked. Oh well, I am thankful that I can learn about things through this forum! They really do need a better communications person/strategy!

Har! As a frequent American traveler to London I hear you! Thatā€™s the funniest yet. Had a bad experience over here with an Australian as well. Two really bad experiences with the French with the smoking. No matter how many times you tell them up front (in the listing, signage everywhere, 24 hour surveillance signs) they still do it. We charge them for it every time. So when they come up in a request next time I am just going to be really literal with them. Iā€™ll try one more time but I am going to be really apprehensive about doing soā€¦

my hands down wosts guest said exactly that . we are christains and belong to a christian group. they left the house in a huge mess with beer bottles everywhere, vomit at the toiletā€¦etc etcā€¦you get the picture!

2 Likes

Weā€™ve had a few inquiries from newbies wanting to stay 3 to 6 months at a discounted price. brand new profile and rather demanding. We had our first request to stop in for an inspection before booking. nope.

1 Like

I never understand why people feel that being part of any religion will make a difference to how people behave :slight_smile:

5 Likes

ohhh, JESUS! :sunglasses::rofl::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

never turned anyone down?

Only people who want something I canā€™t provide or donā€™t allow. (A request for 2 adults and a 2 year old for example.) For fun I scrolled quickly through my messages list and I see 4 declines out of 420+ messages. I have about a dozen ā€œnot possibles.ā€ These are people who inquire and I answer them, in some cases send a special offer with a pet fee and then they donā€™t book within 24 hours or if itā€™s same day, within an hour or two. I then decide to block off the room. Some people have a way of sending a message that tells me Iā€™d rather go unbooked that night than deal with their neediness.

Keep in mind that I have instant book with only the government ID requirement. So accepting and declining is not really something get a chance to do unless they are asking for something out of the ordinary.

1 Like

Iā€™m new to this and want to warn others of my experience, which Iā€™m still shaking from: Chinese fellow messages me with his booking to say he was referred by a friend. This had me suspicious to begin with, as Iā€™ve only just started doing b & b and not many of my friends know that Iā€™m doing it, so it made me wonderā€¦ he said the booking was for himself and his teenager daughter. Well that made me feel better, as Iā€™m a single lady here and felt more comfortable with the presence of the daughter. Well, he rocks up without his daughter, and his English is not good. Well, as i learned, he PRETENDED his English wasnā€™t good. Just be careful everyone, especially all the single ladies who are trying to make a bit of an extra income through this idea of b and bā€™ingā€¦ he ended being a dirty creepā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ve had many inquiries about heating as well and thought it was stupid until I traveled to some countries( Nepal, India, Peru, Bolivia) where they do not provide heaters or covers. An Airbnb in Scotland in October only switched on the central heating system from 7am to 10pm. So I do understand now why some people would ask.

Yup. Many countries live with no hot water. Jamaica, Brazil, Indiaā€¦

YAAAAAY! Thatā€™s a red flag!

2 Likes

Hello @gunyah

I certainly wouldnā€™t be comfortable if a man contacted me and said he wanted to stay in my guest room with his teenage daughter.

Of course if you let out multiple rooms a different matter.

You havenā€™t actually said what happened which made you feel that the guest was a 'dirty creep.

The bottom line - if you donā€™t feel comfortable with a guest then donā€™t accept the booking.

Hope you get better guests soon.

Oh dear @koedeigh

I am not sure if this is UK specific thing. But most people I know donā€™t have their heating running through the night over here.

Our assumption is that during the night you are tucked up in your warm cosy bed. (I have heated blankets too).

What do hosts in other countries do in the winter in terms of keeping your heating on during the night?

1 Like

I set my thermostat to 17-ish degrees, and let the boiler keep the house to that temperature 24 hours a day. And woe betide anyone who touches my thermostat!

1 Like

Iā€™m in Tokyo. We keep the AC(heater) running through the night. When I lived in Korea, the heating system is from pipes in the floor heating it up with hot water. Fantastic and keeps you toasty at all times. Yes, gas/electricity bill goes through the roof but thatā€™s how it is.
We do have heating carpets/covers, but I canā€™t provide that in my Airbnb. Spilling a drink on it while itā€™s on and the whole thing can catch on fire. Too hazardous!

1 Like

Yes, exactly, I thought it odd too, considering there is only a double bed
in the guest room. No, there is or was only the one room available, so
that was the first odd piece of evidence. Youā€™re right, I should not have
accepted the booking, on the account of that, and on account of his lie
(that he was referred by a friend of mine), I should have been suspicious
from the beginning. My mistake in being too enthusiastic about being a
host, being new to this field. I canā€™t describe in graphic detail as to
what makes me label him a creep, except to say there were sexual overtones
and gross physical hygiene concerns, like Gross with a capital G, which
left me screaming upon cleaning the shower yesterday, literally screaming
out of horrorā€¦ say no moreā€¦ but isnā€™t it interesting, how people can
pretend not to understand English, just to suit their manipulative means,
we have to be careful of this as hosts, thatā€™s all Iā€™m saying and thatā€™s
why Iā€™m sharing, letā€™s all be careful especially if weā€™re single ladies
doing this hosting thing, and a guy like this comes alongā€¦ best thing
is to relocate him, refund him his money, finish, clean, scrub, disinfect,
cup of teaā€¦

1 Like

Hello @gunyah

So sorry this happened. Did you call Airbnb to get them to cancel the booking and ask the guest to leave?

Never have someone staying if you are not comfortable.

Did he say which friend of yours recommended him?

Do make sure you flag his profile and leave an honest review.

Thank you I donā€™t know about flagging, Iā€™ll go do that now, much
appreciated.

If you read through the Q&As in Airbnbā€™s help centre it will help you have a much better understanding of how it works @gunyah