Wondering how others hosts would handle - discrimination issue

I disagree with you. There are no circumstances that I can think of where racist views should remain unchallenged. It does not need to be aggressive or unpleasant but “nodding, smiling and changing the subject” is a complete cop-out and tantamount to endorsement, in my opinion.

6 Likes

I have a different view. Making $3.50 USD per hour as a bartender, if you challenge your guests on just about anything, it’s bye bye tip. No thanks, and in this STR scenario, I don’t need to be bashed on a review for being combative! Not worth my time or energy to get all fired up on some guests lame opinions, racism or otherwise.

5 Likes

In law, silence in the face of injustice is acquiescence.

We should all be able to stand up for what is right in 2018. The brave people before my generation, who marched for civil rights, didn’t make excuses for bigotry or gently move away, thank goodness. Neither would/do I.

This thread makes me sad.

4 Likes

And all due praise and respect for these folks! I think making a small stance in my home with ONE or two guests is really something that falls way out of the job description, frankly. I’ll attend a march or write a letter to my editor. I think taking the high road and not validating their stupid opinions is enough. It is too much to say, in legal terms, that I’m “tacitly” agreeing with their world views just by saying nothing and not engaging or entertaining their petty little thoughts and ideas.

2 Likes

OK… lucky that some people in previous generations living in fear and poverty stood up and said no, this is not right. Not everyone is in a position to do it.
I don’t consider racism a “lame opinion”.

When I taught Holocaust Studies it was always an interesting discussion with the students about where it all starts and how we would react. Most say they would have resisted but that’s easy to say from the comfort of a 21st century classroom and not in depression era Germany. Now it is safe (or is for now) and it’s important to speak up. It doesn’t have to be confrontational. After I tipped my NJ Trump loving cab driver 20% and he effusively thanked me and offered me God’s blessings I reminded him that I was a Clinton supporter and shut the door. :wink:

2 Likes

Out of the job description, maybe.

Out of human description/decency, never. Never!

Bigotry needs to be shut down anytime it rears its vile head, regardless of circumstance.

I will never think differently.

Acquiescence is how bigotry can perpetuate and flourish.

So we allow someone to be a bigot because it makes us uncomfortable to say something??

Aww, hell nah.

I’ll call out any MF making racist comments. Don’t care who/where/why/how. Cuz that is just not right. It’s 2018!!!

I’m out. I can’t today. Can’t listen to this crap. Not having a good hosting day/month. This thread is just slaying me to the core. wtf

2 Likes

Indeed. And a movement was started!

Nor do I, that’s one of humanity’s short comings. I consider views that stem from racism “lame opinions”.

3 Likes

Naturally we all would. But it was mob mentality in full effect. Hard to put yourself in anyone’s shoes. Ever.

Love it, nice touch! I was not above flipping someone the bird back in the day after a finished transaction. But this is a better approach, but for the review system!!!

2 Likes

Yes, maybe. Funnily I was just thinking that this is a generational issue! I’m guessing @yecatsr, you are in your '20s? So calling racism a ‘lame opinion’ could actually be seen as proof of progress - it implies that it’s so stupid as to not warrant attention. But for oldies, like me, who remember the times of overt racism and see the signs of it re-emerging today, it’s scary. It’s not about “going on a tirade”. it’s about not letting it just slide by. I host in my own home - no fucker is going to spout racist crap here and get away with it. I don’t care that they paid, I don’t care about any hospitality shit - they will be told to leave.

3 Likes

I took too long to reply… another generational thing! Glad to read your reply.

Pushing 50…

It’s alive and well in “The South” USA. I’m not sure where you hail from. What is more scary is all the freaks who persecute anyone who even looks anything like anyone of Arabic decent and assumes they are one of the “few and far between” Muslim extremists.

Enough on this topic. I think we all agree in our own way and on our own terms. The town I live in and the people who visit are beyond liberal and as open minded as they come as far as all walks of life are concerned. Of course here if you do not agree to be open-minded you are labeled a pariah, so the discrimination goes both ways. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Yes and Milgram’s experiments suggest that we will be inhuman if we think it’s acceptable to be so. That’s the point of challenging racism. Noone suggested a personal tirade, but it would be made clear that all colours are welcome at my listing. Also the thumbs down is essential and confidential, an ideal stealth weapon for racists.
I am also thinking quiet time rules should apply to early mornings. I have never in 3 years had guests who are noisy in any way at that time, and that alone is a reason for thumbs down and low stars for house rules. I have also never needed a rule about respect for other guests etc., but the racists clearly needed one. Golly, one of my sons looks Aryan, but the other looks Latin (even though he’s not), so my own family could be a victim of bigoted guests like that.

2 Likes

This is not a discrimination issue. Had Mr. Loud been white, it would be more obvious that he was a blowhard who liked making noise before 6 AM. It should not make any difference what colour he is. He is sharing a house, and he needs to be more considerate in order to be a good fit. And you should not have to be an audience.

I myself would calmly explain that most people are still in bed, and noise should be kept to a minimum. Also, subjects such as race, religion or politics may not be suitable in a home environment where many different people and walks of life are present. I would add that as a host I would find them uncomfortable. If he is going to mouth off and say, “I will say anything I like!” it’s time to ask Air to ask them to leave. But he could just as easily go back to bed!

As a host, I would want to read about this sort of behavior in a review so that I could choose not to host them. We all make mistakes in who we choose to book eventually, but the daughter doesn’t deserve to have that shit put entirely on her. But it still needs to be noted IMO. I suppose you could say something like, “(account holder) was perfectly fine, but her parents made such-and-such racist remarks etc.” if you wanted to avoid saying explicitly that you violated TOS.

3 Likes

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses. After careful consideration, I left a public review that stated facts, just not all facts, because I am of the opinion that the daughter shouldn’t necessarily be called out for her parent’s behavior.

I left her private feedback letting her know her parents, and hence she, if she continues to book for them, may find themselves unwelcome in other hosts homes, given his racist remarks. I also explained that her dad put me in a difficult situation, given my downstairs guests. I told her that we gladly welcome people of all races, religions, nationalities, colors, ages, sexual orientations and so forth into our home and prefer guests that feel the same.

2 Likes

I think some hosts would absolutely choose to host that couple, for a chance to show them the error of their ways

2 Likes

You can’t show blind people anything.

1 Like

oh god, I know. Case in point, this week, my best mates mum said that a muddy child looked like an ‘N’ word.
“you can’t say that mother!”
“Oh I can” she winked.

Where would you start! The sweetest little old lady, lost her husband year ago, happy to be a bigot.

1 Like

My sister was never much of a bigot and we live in an 80% hispanic town. As she aged and her mind left she became irrational, angry and frustrated about many things; immigrants and Spanish speakers became increasingly frequent targets. But she couldn’t be reasoned with about anything at all by the end.