Will AirBnB Penalize Me for Declining Requests When I Have "By Request Only Turned On"

People have assumed I’m Black based on my name. I wonder if that influenced any of the decisions other hosts made in declining or ignoring my reservation requests in the past. Don’t be the “ass” in “assumption.”

5 Likes

Arabic names are quite polular in Mexico. There are many guys named Omar, I know a woman named Zulma.

Are these Mexicans Muslim? No way.

Don’t worry, it’s a bullshit response, but every point you made is valid.

Seriously? Putting my (in reality non existent) bigots hat on, I’d have thought old testamenty geezer with a beard…

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

JF

With a really boring name.

6 Likes

It’s not true. Deflection when they were called out on discrimination.

RR

1 Like
  1. Every white person here needs to watch “Exterminate All The Brutes”(HBO max)
  2. To the OP and those in agreement: your white supremacy is showing.
  3. I am happy when a non-colonizer / non-European name pops up, via Instant book. It generally makes for a warm, safe interaction. I’ve run into some smug, ignorant, arrogant, demanding and entitled guests whose names were very easy to pronounce… and some well educated. Our biggest theft was a very well-educated white guy.
  4. screening for safety as a woman is a separate issue.
  5. Exterminate All the Brutes. Watch. Now.
5 Likes

Ya, that’s not true. The OP made it up once we called them out on their BS

1 Like

Still, the film is SO good. It jumps continents and time—it’s a broad look at the history of colonialism and white supremacy and the filmmaker, Raoul Paul, is, somehow, cheeky, personal, and relevant in what seems, at times, a romp through relentless carnage and oppression. It’s literally required viewing—even if one knows ones stuff.
Glad everyone here called for accountability and got through on t the screening issue.

1 Like

Never at that rate. And never if you discriminate against same sex guests. You should know that AirBnB continues to improve the algorithms they use to detect discrimination by hosts, and that if you are suspected, the company may do some test bookings.

The only trouble I’ve had from openly same sex guests was that it took 2 weeks to get all of the glitter out of area rugs in all 3 rooms after they attended a gay wedding that happily filled up all the AirBnBs in town 2 weeks before our regular season would start.

How tiny is your town? This sounds a bit exaggerated

I often find people don’t look like their photo- it may show a younger version, different hairstyle etc etc
Being a host means you accept all bookings, regardless of race etc etc
It’s more interesting anyway.
I have had a couple of bookings made for someone else. I don’t particularly like the presumption that that is ok. I prefer to be asked first.

What matters is how respectfully the guest treats the apartment, not their ethnicity.

2 Likes

Population: 32,227 (2019)

Yes you can still become a superhost.

These are the requirements.

• Completed at least 10 trips OR completed 3 reservations that total at least 100 nights

• Maintained a 90% response rate or higher

• Maintained a 1% percent cancellation rate (1 cancellation per 100 reservations) or lower, with exceptions made for those that fall under our Extenuating Circumstances policy

• Maintained a 4.8 overall rating (this rating looks at the past 365 days of reviews, based on the date the guest left a review, not the date the guest checked out)

1 Like

Have you experienced a reduction in bookings since going to inquiry only? I’ve been thinking of doing the same and solicited opinions on this forum in the past.

As to reliability of photos, I had a guest years ago, who’s profile picture showed a young man in a collared shirt and tie, holding his (presumably) young daughter in his lap. I learned later, after self check-in, that two construction workers actually showed up as guests, neither one looked remotely like the profile photo. I was not informed by the person making booking that he was sending two employees. I discovered this after the fact. Fortunately, other than removing a couple dozen empty beer cans from the apt. they were respectful and left the apt. in good condition.

But, so much for relying on pofile photos.

Needless to say, I gave the booking guest a “Would not rent again” review for misrepresenting himself at the time of booking. Probably won’t deter him, he’ll just book under a different email address.

1 Like

@GiGo @NordlingHouse

Acceptance rate is not one of the stats factored into Superhost. Response rate is.

1 Like

You can tell from the first post when this was said:

Anyone hosting only women wouldn’t have used IB in the first place.

Have any of our resident Sherlocks found this host’s listing? Discriminatory hosts have no place on Airbnb.

1 Like

How would we when we have nothing but lies to go on?

3 Likes

I remember a post in the CC by a host who was raging about not being able to discriminate. She thought she should have the right to “Uphold American values” or something to that effect.

She was immediately told by multiple hosts where she could shove her “American values” and to please do us all a favor and delete her listing.

2 Likes

That’s what Airbnb says under its criteria for gaining SH status, so not sure why you’re querying this @GiGo ?

Dag gone it, you owe me a computer screen!! I just laughed my soda onto it. …

1 Like

There are times when I have to get on this board just to see responses to a question.

We don’t choose our guests, we let them choose us. They can see our picture, our likes/dislikes, and what we love about the area. If they want to stay here, we are happy to host them. From single ladies to gay couples to 4 guys and a lady here for motorcycle festival. If they can fit in the cabin, don’t have parties, don’t break the bed slats, and it doesn’t require more than 45 minutes to clean up after them, we’ll usually trade good reviews. I have a couple of code words I toss in a review if I’ve had issues with them, just so if they book again I know what we are going to have to deal with. It may not be easy being green, or keeping the cabin clean after some guests, but there is always a way.

2 Likes