Will AirBnB Penalize Me for Declining Requests When I Have "By Request Only Turned On"

It’s a convenient nah from me.

Too many heart strings attempted to being pulled at the same time. I’d have used @Annet3176’s get out personally :rofl:

JF

2 Likes

@SeasonedHost No, it doesn’t help. You can’t discriminate on the basis of gender for an entire house listing. If you are running a safe house for abused women, Airbnb is not the platform to use for that. You are contravening Airbnb policy.

Only home-share hosts can limit bookings to the same sex as the host.

8 Likes

crazy!
We accept everybody who pays up, and that is what makes them and us happy.
We have had 99% respectful nice guests. Photos and names are useless, unless you are trying to be unfair and prejudiced.

7 Likes

That’s what we are, a home share host.

How dare you think you know better about your stay than a bunch of strangers! For shame!
:rofl:

3 Likes

I’m with @JohnF

So now you’re saying that your safe house shelter for abused women DOUBLES as a shared AirBnB listing so the women (and possibly children) in it can get a feel for entrepreneurship?

Oh @SeasonedHost now you’ve hit my radar for unpaid labor, child labor, and running a business that is the antithesis of what a safe house is supposed to be. After all, it’s NOT supposed to be found on any map and it’s not supposed to use the victims as cheap or free labor.

Please please please tell me I’m mistaken. You stated you use last names to filter out guests. That’s not a “no males” situation, it’s discrimination.

BTW, I’m a single woman, in-home host, and I accept pretty much everyone. Messages allow me to filter out the parties, creeps (well not 100% but still), and allows me to put heads in beds and enjoy the people I meet.

7 Likes

Hey, please PM me with the name of your nonprofit so that I can consider making a donation.

4 Likes

Btw. I would never reject a frog—it’s not easy being green :notes::sunglasses:

5 Likes

Mine is real. I do try to tailor my communication (style &content). I don’t necessarily recommend the same restaurants or activities to a 30 yr old vs a 70.

Granted pics only help with young vs mature (notice I didn’t say old-again my peeps)

1 Like

You mean you live in the house yourself, or that there are multiple rooms rented out to various women who share the house?

I have certainly never heard of a “safe house” that is advertised for rent publicly. The whole thing about a safe house is that the location of it is closely guarded information, so the abusers can’t find them.

And how can you tell if someone is male or female just from their name? There are many names used for both sexes and unusual names that you can’t surmise gender from.

You can’t even necessarily tell what sex someone is from their profile photo. I had a guest whose photo, while clear, was taken from a weird angle- looking up into the camera, holding a basket of tomatoes. The name was Elia. Said they were an organic gardener. I thought for 3 weeks until check-in that it was a nice-looking, long-haired guy in his 30s- that’s what it looked like to me. Turned out to be a woman in her 40s. When I told her about my false assumption, we both had a good laugh over it.

3 Likes

This is true.

:innocent:

1 Like

My first name was traditionally a man’s name - I’m named after many generations of men in the family. It’s transitioned into a name that is gender neutral but still mostly male in the UK and Commonwealth. My last name has several spellings, all correct. So I spend a lot of time spelling both names, with people wondering which is my first name (especially confusing with husband #1’s last name).

Yup. I’ve gotten that. As long as you have a sense of humor about it…

All 3 of my daughters have names you wouldn’t know their sex by. So do 3 of my 6 grandkids. I made up my oldest daughter’s name and only many years later, when she was an adult, did we find out it was a man’s name in Japan.

1 Like

That’s so cool. I love names like that.

1 Like

I love ethnic and non traditional names. Unfortunately we have evidence that people discriminate based on those kinds of names so until humans evolve into non-bigots such folks have to struggle.

Back in the 80s I changed my name to a less traditional name that is usually associated with men. It’s only played to my advantage so far.

I hope I live long enough to see such a proliferation of non traditional, non-binary names and identifications it makes tiny heads everywhere explode with dismay.

4 Likes

I love your name, it’s so you! I’ve always wanted a name that could be a nickname, too, and be gender neutral, such as Samantha (Sam), Alexandra (Alex), just to have a cool nickname (my name doesn’t lend itself to that).

Ha! That was a great visual with my coffee!

I completely changed from the name I was given to something not in the least related. I was named after my father and I didn’t want to have anything to do with that so I went in a different direction altogether.

Everyone agrees that the name I chose for myself in 8th grade fits far better than the one I was given.

3 Likes

Aye, suits you. I think :rofl:

JF

3 Likes

How wonderful that you named yourself so well and everyone who knows you can see the beauty in that! :heart:

My problem is my name is fairly unique (as is the original French spelling) that it’s become part of me, no matter how much I dislike it - most people don’t even know my last name. I was named after a wonderful male first cousin, so there’s that.

This is a terrible idea. You are risking the safety and wellbeing of your clients, and you’re openly discriminating against potential customers.

I used to work for a domestic violence agency, and even I didn’t know where our safe houses were. Your agency is doing a terrible disservice to the victims it serves if you’re publicly listing their safe house a short-term rental accommodation, which is subject to a whole host of different housing laws.

9 Likes