What should we serve for breakfast?

Our listing is 2 bedrooms in our 3 bedroom home. My wife and I live here.

We get the aged pension and one of our number on this forum pointed out the benefit for us to include breakfast. The Australian Government only takes into account 50% of our AirBnB revenue against our pension if we offer breakfast. If we offer accommodation only it is 80%.

So, my question is, how should we package this breakfast. Guests have a kettle and a bar fridge in their rooms. The rooms are quite big and have a table as well as a built-in desk. We donā€™t mind if, from time to time, guests need to use our large refrigerator in the kitchen.

We are in Australia but I guess these days much the same goodies are available globally. Any suggestions from the breakfast brains trust please?

@JohnnyAir ā€“ Iā€™m a Personal Chef who offered prepared breakfasts at our Poolside Cabana listing. I have a menu of 12-15 Breakfast for Two items which guests pre-select before they arrive.

First things I would do is check to see what the Govā€™t means by ā€œbreakfastā€. Does it include pre-packaged sweet rolls, breakfast bars, cold cereal or hot cereal packets ā€“ that sort of thing? Or are they referring to ā€˜prepared on siteā€™ meals made by you like ā€˜two eggs, toast, bacon and potatoesā€™, made on site quiche, or other cooked fare??

If pre-packaged foods are allowed, then youā€™re golden, and can supply the guests with whatever is popular and on special ā€“ stock the fridge and a pantry basket with enough breakfast items for the number of people and number of breakfasts for each stay.

If it has to be prepared-on-site meals, then do like I have and create a menu of 12-15 items from which guests choose before they arrive. That way you can shop ahead and keep your pantry filled. Make it ā€œbreakfast for twoā€ so that you only have to make one breakfast for each room (assuming couples book mostly). You donā€™t want to make 4 different breakfasts for 4 people!

Choose items that you like to cook which are quick, simple and inexpensive but offer some variety: waffles or pancakes with bacon or ham; hot oatmeal, cream of wheat or other porridge, bacon-egg-toast varieties, omelet varieties, fresh scones or rock cakes with whatever, breakfast steaks with eggs ā€“ that sort of thing.

I used to offer a Full English breakfast, but it was too time consuming and expensive.

1 Like

Good point Ken. I REALLY hope that we can get by with the pre-packaged foods.

Yes Iā€™ve cooked a bit as a maĆ®tre dā€™ in the good olā€™ days of guĆ©ridon service and could turn out a reasonable omelette but I canā€™t see myself being locked into that role every morning. We have very good occupancy.

Also, it may not be legal for us to serve non pre-packaged food.

I actually donā€™t mind cooking breakfast for the guests. I get up at 6AM to get my partner off to work, so Iā€™m already up. I serve at their choice of time between 7:30 and 9:30 AM, and I have the menu down to things that are easy for me to prepare. Hereā€™s my main menu for the upcoming High Season ā€“ December to May. Only the grits and the French toast take more than 15 minutes to make:

Creamy Dreamy Grits
Creamy, white cheesy grits with sausage or ham and toast with chef-made marmalade.

Croque Madam
A French breakfast ā€œsandwichā€ with ham and cheese on toast smothered in Hollandaise sauce before being grilled. Topped with a sunny-side egg.

Spanish Tortilla de Patata
Classic dish of fried potato slices and diced onion, smothered in beaten eggs, then finished in the oven.

Shakshuka
This North African dish consists of eggs poached on a tangy base of diced tomato, onion and peppers, dusted with Moroccan herbs and spices.

Florida French
Thick-cut challah bread French toast with artisan cane syrup, and seasonal fruit.

HrƦringur
This Icelandic breakfast treat is a combination of steel-cut oatmeal and creamy Skyr yogurt, served either sweet with a dollop of chef-made marmalade; or savory, with bacon crumbles.

Biscuits & Gravy
Chef-made biscuits with sausage gravy, and a fried ham slice.

Breakfast Burrito
Large tortilla filled with eggs, sauteed peppers & onions, and cheese. Served with red or green salsa.

Cajun Omelet
Eggs filled with tangy Andouille sausage, shrimp, and cheese; with a side of toast and chef-made marmalade.

Avocado Toast
Multigrain toast topped with sliced tomato and a mash of avocado and sauerkraut that is absolutely amazing. PBWF

Savory Apple & Cheddar Scones To Go
Need to catch that early flight, or the Key West Express? These savory scones are just the thing. Sweet Apple and savory English Cheddar cheese are a classic combination.

@JohnnyAir, @KenH is the expert on all matter pertaining to breakfast :slight_smile:

What does your local authority allow you to do? Do example, here Iā€™d need a vastly upgraded kitchen if I were to actually cook anything for guests but Iā€™m okay to provide them with unopened stuff (yogurts, bananas, etc.)

When I used to provide bed and breakfast the cooked breakfast was the full monty (cereal, full English, toast and marmalade, huge teapot etc) but also a breakfast hamper for guests who prefered it. The hamper (which was usually for two) had items that were prepackaged and that guests could eat in their rooms.

Will you be able to cook?

@RumourHasIt has fabulous breakfasts as well, but also not in Australia.

When I ā€œprovided breakfastā€ I had hard boiled eggs, cold cereal, bread, butter, jam, and fruit. Occasionally Iā€™d have some juice or ā€œbreakfast bars.ā€ There are also individual oatmeal containers with added in items like sugar and dried fruit that are pretty nice. Iā€™m not a fan of the instant oatmeal packets but many people like them. I think you can provide a perfectly serviceable breakfast without getting up in the morning and cooking anything for the guests.

1 Like

We really donā€™t want to cook anything! We serve a continental breakfast ā€“ cereal (choice of four types), fruit compote with natural or fruit yoghurt, fresh fruit, fruit juice, toast made from home-made bread or home-baked croissants, choice of jams/marmalade/honey/lemon curd/peanut butter, fresh coffee and tea. It goes down pretty well, especially my home-made bread!

5 Likes

I offer more of a continental style breakfast/snack:
Croissant - breakfast muffin or scone. (homemade or purchsed from the bakery then freeze)
Butter & Jam/and a couple slices of hard cheese or a small ramekin with soft cheese.
sliced fruit or berries ( oranges, apples or grapefruit whatever is seasonal ) canned peaches are popular.
I prepare 4 or 5 quiche in advance freeze them & serve a modest cold slice per person or leave cold hard boiled eggs.
sometime I will also serve a few thinly sliced pieces of dry salami/ Prosciutto & the like.
There are 3 types of cereal to choose from: muesli, cherrioā€™s & a whole grain cornflake style cereal these are presented in quart size mason jars. (Never the whole box)
In the fridge there is a small bottle of milk and orange juice & one individual sized yogurt per guest.
There is a generous selection of black and herbal tea, coffee (drip & instant) and hot chocolate.
Also in the fridge there are cans of gingerale, tonic water, soda water & ice tea. ( one of each )
These items are left in the fridge and snack prep area, I offer this only once as a complimentary snack/breaky on arrival. I do not restock during their stay.
I find that guest appreciate this on arrival after a long journey, I have a list of popular cafeā€™s & eateries they can visit close by.
This presentation style frees myself and the guest from any rigid morning time lines.
Hope this helps. :wink:

When I started out, Mr Joan opined that perhaps I should not cook breakfast as I wouldnā€™t be very nice to guests after being spat at by hot fat. I provide continental breakfasts of a plate with charcuterie and cheese, decorated with vine tomatoes (home grownā€¦), grapes or fruit from the garden; juice,bread rolls and croissant/pastries which I can keep in the freezer until needed, tea and coffee choices.

Thatā€™s really easy: if breakfast is included just offer some yogurts, coffee, bread, butter, jellies, fresh fruit, pastries (that you keep frozen and take out to defrost the night before) and OJ. You can buy all these in bulk.

I have a mini-fridge in the room with champagne, caviare, a selection of cheeses and smoked salmon (of course). Guests can call me any time of the day or night for a custom-made snack. I cater for all tastes, be it Cheetos and beer or truffles and Chardonnay.

Yeah, right. :laughing:

@JohnnyAir, youā€™ve had some good advice already. I donā€™t think there is any problem with providing some cereals, milk, some spreads (jam, peanut butter etc) and bread. Thatā€™s enough. Chuck in some breakfast bars as well, if you want. Youā€™re not serving it, are you? Youā€™re just providing it if guests want to use it.

You donā€™t give details on where you are exactly or what kind of guests you get/anticipate, but it sounds like a self-contained place? I would bet theyā€™ll be happy to have a few things to get them started and to be left alone. I wouldnā€™t encourage use of your own fridge ā€œfrom time to timeā€. That is not a clear boundary and could cause problems. Either they can store their freshly-killed deer meat in your fridge or they canā€™t.

1 Like

I would just provide a continental breakfast. Perhaps muffins, juice and coffee. Home made muffins are yummy. Even banana bread with walnuts would be delicious : )

interesting that the concept of ā€œhome madeā€ has cropped up a number of times in peopleā€™s responsesā€¦

I tried the pre-packaged stuff in additional to home made waffle. It was a DIY setup like at some of the chain motels where you pour a pre-measured batter cup into the top of the machine and wait for a beep. I can say guests didnā€™t like that at all. I would get all kinds of other requests though for something I didnā€™t have like fruit or vegan stuff. In the end, breakfast is a difficult one. Nobody seems to have a problem going to a chain family restaurant and

It seems to me that you should ā€œuncheckā€ the breakfast provided option and just offer a few things under the ā€œunder promise and over deliverā€ mantra. Anyone booking Airbnb is not going to assume that breakfast is included. Wellā€¦ of course there are many stories of high-maintenance guests expecting hotel standards at budget pricesā€¦etc etc. Be clear about what you offer and under-promise :wink:

1 Like

As I said on the original thread I donā€™t think there is a government definition of ā€œbreakfastā€ at least one that can be found by an internet search. If you serve cooked food you will probably need some sort of license from your local council which will involve doing a TAFE course in safe food preparation which seems reasonable. As I only serve prepackaged I donā€™t need to do it and I offer milk in tetra packs rather than open bottles. But you are sharing the space so I am not sure the same rules apply. Until I hear otherwise I will assume it is not something Centerlink has the time or competence to check up. On the other hand if you enjoy the idea of providing a cooked breakfast then why not. My neighbour who did this offered omelette, eggs, cooked bacon or sausages but had so few takers she stopped.

I see your point but part of the OPs point (in a another thread) was to qualify as a providing lodging + breakfast (ā€œbed & breakfastā€ yes I know the arguments about what that does/should mean so no need for anyone to relitigate) to qualify for a discount in assessed income which assumes your costs are 50% rather than 20% for lodgings alone. In this case the government organisation Centerlink who provide pensions and adjust accordingly for ā€œother incomeā€. I am in the same boat but a different kind of pension. So I think at a minimum it is best to say you provide breakfast on your listing in case they ever audit you, which I doubt will happen but you never know. And of course be clear what that means and donā€™t over egg it or you may have to save your bacon.

2 Likes

WoW!! What a response. If I was asked who Iā€™d like to have round for dinner ā€¦ or breakfast ā€¦ you lot would make awesome company. Thank you. I will go through each post and respond over the next day or so. :watermelon::tangerine::avocado::coconut::pretzel::bagel::waffle::cheese::fried_egg::egg::tropical_drink:

2 Likes

I pretty much do the same. Guests can make their own breakfast. Hard boiled eggs is a good idea so thanks for that.

1 Like

Magwitch, you often make me laugh, thank you! This is a scary thread - very grand breakfasts, homemade croissants, etc etc! Wow! Iā€™ve never had this offered anywhere Iā€™ve ever stayed, except once - memorably - in a BDC place in Portugal. I like the idea of not offering breakfast at all but leaving some little things like cereal, milk and fruit juice for the first morning (I wonā€™t be living on site) as a token gesture. Now Iā€™m off to read some threads about guests who complain that their orange juice wasnā€™t freshly squeezed that morningā€¦

1 Like