What should we serve for breakfast?

Do an Airbnb search in your area with the “breakfast” amenity checked to see what other hosts are offering. In my area we had like 80 Airbnb’s with breakfast but only 3 with anything beyond bars, yogurt and cereal. Some of them had no pictures and no mention at all of what the breakfast was but the vast majority are like you said.

That being said, I have stayed at some actual BNB’s with breakfast and I was glad to pay another $15-25/night for that. Also I never complain when I stay at an Airbnb as a matter of principle. As a host, it just isn’t as the system was intended to be used for hosts to criticize their ‘competitors’. I leave private feedback if necessary but I leave 5 star reviews. So no complaints about orange juice.

1 Like

Yum. I’m on my way for a visit.

Yes, sorry, but we used to do that … squeeze, that is, not complain! My experience when I used to provide breakfast was that, as in the world of humans, looks matter more than substance. So for example, fruit in a bowl is very nice, but a well-arranged fruit plate with a sprig of basil and a shaving of ice gets oohs and aahs and is instagram-worthy. Same with “freshly-baked” rolls (you know, the part-baked ones you pop in the oven for 5 minutes) , curls of butter and little kilner jars of “home-made” jam and marmalade, which of course you buy at the local Church fete - no need to specify whose home it was made in … Because we’re in Spain we added a plate of thinly-sliced jamon and manchego cheese and every so often I’d offer my husband’s “Famous Poached Eggs” (famous because they’re the only thing he can cook) or pancakes or scrambled eggs with gravadlax. I’d also have banana bread/carrot cake etc in the freezer in individual slices and serve these with honey and creme fraiche.

Basically my point, and gourmet cooks will no doubt disagree, that if it looks special, with nice china, table linen and flowers, it can be as simple and inexpensive as you like and you should get rave reviews.

Actually replying to the OP, just using @rachelisme’ s quote here.

1 Like

So totally agree! The very nice Church Warden up the lane makes jam and marmalade, which she sells for Church funds and I have a pot of chives on the back doorstep that I snip over charcuterie and “local” cheeses. I add dried fruit and toasted almonds to garnola, and pastries are bought frozen from the supermarket.

I must look out for mini kilners though.

Who goes on vacation to cook, be it their own waffles? want to impress your guests? Offer bellinis. Don’t mention anywhere, ask the guests not to mention in the reviews but offer it.

1 Like

I’ve got a spare room at my place for FREE. If you cook me breakfast.

Since you only offer on first morning do you click the breakfast provided box? I’m assuming that this first breakthrough is just a freebie that the guest is not actually expecting?

I offer an assortment of bagels, English muffins, cereal, oatmeal or fresh baked banana bread. I specifically say that assortment varies and it does. The only constant is homemade strawberry jam made with basil or mint from my garden. I serve it in mini-mason jars and each guest gets a new jar. Nothing worse to me than a stranger plopping out a half full jar of mystery jam. The jam gets mentioned often in reviews and lots of times I will give a new one to the guest to take home. If I’m cooking for myself and the guests come into the kitchen at that time I will offer to share if I’ve made a Dutch baby or a large omelet. But again, I feel it’s important, if you’re going to switch it up, make sure you state that in your listing.

1 Like

You are correct I do not state " breakfast provided", I do find the small snack plate is really appreciated by guests on arrival, most are tired & and don’t want to go search out a restaurant.
It’s a simple plate with sliced cheese, cured meat slices, olives, sliced veggies with humus or tzatziki style dip, much like a antipasto presentation.
If I find quality chips, pretzels or nuts on sale in smaller portions I will include those.

1 Like

What is a Dutch baby?

2 Likes

We put 4 eggs, a package of English muffins, a fresh wrapped cube of butter, oatmeal envelopes, maple syrup and pancake mix in the hideaway self cater kitchen, as well as other basics like chips, an unopened box of pasta and unopened jar of pasta sauce, and of course coffee, tea and condiments. It doesn’t cost that much, less than 10%, considering what they are paying us.
Hardly anybody uses this stuff. I’ve hardly even refilled the coffee jar. Honey, olive oil, and tea are popular. It’s all there in case they are hungry and didn’t shop. I send them the list of it too, when they are on their way. Seems most people bring prepared food judging by the amount of garbage.

that was going to be my question but I googled it and it seems it’s a large pancake filled with fruit or bacon and stuff. A big thing in the US, I think, but not elsewhere

1 Like

I live in the US and don’t know what it is, have never heard of it. I’ve never seen it on a menu in my travels around the US. We have regional dishes in the US just as in the EU, so maybe it’s that. In my area “breakfast tacos” or “Breakfast burritos” are very popular and that’s something I would offer if I offered breakfast.

1 Like

Mixture of eggs, milk and flour baked in a hot buttered skillet and served with fresh fruit and powdered sugar. Takes less than a half hour start to finish. It’s a hit!!

1 Like

Looks like a Yorkshire Pudding that’s gone a bit wonky. It sounds a bit weird to have a Dutch Baby for breakfast - verging on the cannibalistic :slight_smile:

1 Like

looks like a strange flat clafouti