What kind of spray disinfectant to use?

If you are following Air’s new cleaning guidelines, what kind of spray disinfectant are you using? This is one product I can never seem to find in stock.

I just use standard anti-bac sprays - whatever’s on special offer.

1 Like

It’s in high demand because of COPVID so I’ve been mixing Clorox bleach with water in a spray bottle and I use that to spray door knobs, counter tops, railing, etc. I use Lysol liquid (lemon scented) mixed with water to spray in the air when I first arrive to clean and then open all the windows. It’s becoming difficult to even find Clorox liquid bleach and Lysol bottles. I just bought rubbing alcohol to use as a backup just in case I can’t find Clorox or Lysol bottles.

2 Likes

It’s odd that all the supermarkets I’ve been in around here (New Jersey) now have ample supplies of masks and Hand sanitizer but it’s so hard to find disinfectant spray.

1 Like

In March when all this ‘got real’ I read an article that listed some recommended products. The one product from that list I was able to find on the shelves was MicroBan24. I’ve been using it since and probably the best aspect of it is that it doesn’t have the harsh bleach smell of many of the other products

Unfortunately it doesn’t appear to currently be in stock online, but you can check the shelves and/or check other sites.

Some other articles that list some options for you, should you be able to find them.

1 Like

I use a pet care product called Top Performance 256 or chlorine bleach. I had gallons on hand and they are used diluted so I probably have a lifetime supply. I have to be careful with bleach since I always manage to get it on something and get bleached out spots.

3 Likes

I know that our local municipalities are using a product called HDQC2. It is certified to “kill” SARS and coronaviruses. It’s mixed 2 oz to 1 gal of water. You have to buy it in bulk so this might be an option if you want to split an order with a friend/colleague.

3 Likes

I think people are hoarding it like they did with toilet paper.

1 Like

Welcome to my world! Often spill a few drops on my shirt!

2 Likes

Hospitals use peroxide on their surfaces. I was considering this in my kitchen and bathroom and all non-wood surfaces.

2 Likes

I did read awhile back that hydrogen peroxide does not kill the virus. It kills bacteria, for sure, but some more in-depth research would be in order if thinking of using hydrogen peroxide as a virus disinfectant. Why not just use a bleach solution on kitchen and bathroom surfaces? Or plain old soap and water on a cloth, which is said to render the virus inactive.

3 Likes

Home Depot has big bottles of the stuff in ample supply. Check it out. Hope it helps.

1 Like

We use Lysol disinfectant spray.

1 Like

I’m sorry but this is not true. Hydrogen peroxide is virucidal and does specifically kill coronaviruses (even moreso than some other common viruses, like the norovirus). The only thing I can think of that you may have come across is that it does expire and becomes less effective. So, pulling out some old bottle of hydrogen peroxide from under the sink, is not going to give a you a reliable disinfectant but a brand new bottle is going to be an effective disinfectant.

As @Rachaelanderberg mentioned, we do use it in hospitals and other medical facilities to disinfect.

The biggest issue is that it will damage some surfaces so you can’t use it everywhere, but that’s pretty much true for all disinfectants.

1 Like

Well, that’s good to know, because I’m a fan of hydrogen peroxide myself and use it for several things. But I know I did read somewhere in a list of suitable disinfectant products for the virus that hydrogen peroxide wasn’t recommended, and it had nothing to do with it being expired. I remember because I was surprised to read that- it seemed odd that it wouldn’t kill a virus. I’ll research more.

I have seen a couple of articles mention that but it’s because of the consumer-factor - e.g. consumers can’t be trusted to use it correctly, sort of thing.

1 Like
  1. Clean (soap & water)
  2. Disinfect (see below).

DISINFECTING

431 products that kill the virus. Contact Times vary widely - some are far more effective.

1 Like

I also read a reason peroxide is not usually recommended is that it can be harsh on human skin. (However, I bought 4 gallons last night).

Well, I use a splash of hydrogen peroxide in a glass of water as a daily mouthwash and it hasn’t harmed me. But you definitely shouldn’t pour hydrogen peroxide on a open wound, as it will damage the tissue around the wound.

Alcohol but don’t use it on your wood

1 Like