What is your cleaning routine/tips?

I’m actually going to remove the carpet from the Airbnb room, the last bit of carpet in my home. So the dusting will probably happen first.

1 Like

I came across this article. I can not say I’ve tried any of them, but if recollection serves there has been discussion around hair dye (#18), adhesive removal (#20), “dog doo” (#19).

I’ve recently used a silicone lubricant on the tracks of my sliding doors.

https://www.hunker.com/13723557/surprising-uses-for-wd-40

1 Like

I’m going to start hosting my first AirB&B, would you mind sending me a copy of your checklist so I know where I should start and how detailed the cleaning needs to be between 2-3day stays

Everything needs to be clean. Airbnb cleaning is different to house cleaning! My routine is to totally deep clean one room every turnover

2 Likes

Good but she didn’t actually clean the dirtiest part of the toilet nor did she clean the shower walls or remove the trash and all the cloths and cleaning products she put in the tub…

Oh and she used her bare ha CS on the squeeze bell of the toilet mop after it had been sitting down in the toilet for a while…and never washed her hands…

A completely thorough cleaning is required. It will be easier if your rental is just a room rather than a full apartment or house but absolutely everything must be cleaned. If you have a five hour turnover window (11 - 4 for example) then the chances are that you’ll need most of that time.

Actually, thinking about it, there’s just as much cleaning if your rental is just one room as the common areas will have to be thoroughly attended to also.

Oh man, I noticed all those things, too, plus she missed big swipes on the mirror and didn’t take enough time to properly polish it. She missed a lot of spots on the floor. The walls around the toilet weren’t touched and no cleaning agent was used on the floor, especially around the toilet. Towels were not replaced, either.

That video should be called “How to mostly clean a bathroom used by only one adult female that doesn’t use the shower in 3.5 minutes per day.”

4 Likes

After reading this whole thread I realize my screens need vacuuming more often. I am a bad bad host.

RR

4 Likes

It depends on where one lives. Windows, light fixtures, ceiling fan and walls I would consider deep cleaning, but the baseboards and window sills get cleaned every time, otherwise they would be covered in dust and dead bugs.

As we’ve had a bathroom renovation (new pretty wall panels, new luxury shower panel, new mirror, etc.), I want it to stay shiny as long as it can. But it takes a lot of time to clean it. I’ve found these tips for myself https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/cleaning/tips/a20438/speed-clean-bathroom-0907/

1 Like

Start up, work your way down. Finish by mopping the floors.
Takes me 1-1,5 hours to clean 1 bedroom apartment (bedrom, livingroom, kitchen, bathroom, entryway).

I just bought it (in Colorado) at the grocery store last week!

So funny that you remember it from childhood, I just bought it because it was cheap and I’m going to have it for the cleaners lol.

Mine that I remember from childhood was Comet, the powder cleaner. I don’t like using it but to this day I haven’t been able to find anything that cleans sinks and bathtubs better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My husband and I do all turnover cleaning. We each have our usual tasks to do. Then we double-check each other.

We’re also big believers in lint rollers.

1 Like

I don’t know about other people but when I’m doing the cleaning, I’m trying to clean whole at a time instead of cleaning a single room I don’t know it’s the right way to clean or not but I always do like this.

Everyone has their own cleaning style. I clean my Airbnb private room and bath sort of like you do. I’ll sweep down the cobwebs from ceiling to floor in both rooms, then dust and damp wipe the surfaces in both rooms, etc. I find it more efficient, but that doesn’t mean others might find doing one room at a time more efficient.

So, for me it is a routine that I like to do, because I prefer to live in a clean apartment and I optimized this routine to 2 hours and this also calms me when I am nervous!

You guys already know that a detachable showerhead is invaluable and makes it easier to clean the shower, but on some occasions I even use the showerhead on machine gun mode to spray inside the toilet bowl and sink which may be overkill…

Hey, whatever works. When I was having my house built, which is all concrete/cement construction, I was always inspecting the guys’ finish work, making them smooth out lumpy bits in the corners, under the counters, etc. My line was “I want to be able to hose the place down- no scorpion hotels.”