What is your cleaning routine/tips?

Unfortunately mine needs cleaning even after a one night stay. It’s such a tiny bathroom that guests use it to keep their makeup, toiletries or hairbrush on and it invariably has a few marks or hairs. The shower curtain liner too has several times been changed after one nighters — goodness knows what they do in there!

1 Like

Thank you for purchasing my book! I hope you found it useful for cleaning your Air BnB property. The vacuum I recommend is inexpensive compared to other vacuums and it lasts a long time. Less than $200! And can be found even more cheaply during sale months on the Sears website. It really is a great vacuum for a low price.

Also, I’m confused by the video posted above. They don’t clean the shower walls or tub? That’s a bit deceiving to say you can clean your bathroom in 3 minutes when you leave out the most time and labor intensive area that needs to be cleaned.

This video shows how to clean a CLEAN bathroom in 3 minutes. Bathrooms your guests leave, as you know, are not clean by any stretch. And never clean your bathroom without rubber gloves on. It will make you less inhibited and able to move around the bathroom to get it clean without the “ick” factor slowing you down.

Clean a bathroom floor with a vacuum first. Guests often leave a lot of hair on the floor and cleaning it with a microfiber cleaner will push the dirt to the edges and leave a lot on the floor. Plus, you will have a microfiber mop head full of hair. Ewwwww! Vacuum it up and really clean it with either a twist mop or a swiffer mop head with a microfiber cloth attached to it rather than a swiffer cloth.

Pushing dirt around is not cleaning. And if you have guests frequently, your place will get dirtier and dirtier if you don’t actually clean it each time.

To learn how to actually clean your home or rental areas quickly, thoroughly, and efficiently, check out my book, Get Your House Clean Now: The Home Cleaning Method Anyone Can Master by Beth McGee on Kindle or paperback, just like Malagachica did! I’ve been using this method on our property and many others for over 20 years with great success.

2 Likes

Actually, I believe she sprayed the handle as she sprayed the whole toilet. But this was just a thought. i followed it after I saw it and was happy with the results and time saved. I am a sanitary freak, by the way.

You are right, she skips the tub! Weird.

1 Like

I recommend a book called, “Speed Cleaning”. It is full of the most efficient and thorough methods of cleaning every room in the house.

1 Like

My latest cleaning toy…robot vacuum programmable to clean floors 7 days a week.

1 Like

For dog and cat hairs (human too) the tiny Shark cordless vacuum (hand held) is the best we have ever used and only about $40 US. But I am going to try the lint rollers. Thanks
Curt

1 Like

Someone revived this thread so I’ll chime in to say, me too! My partner and I bought their aprons, too (we look quite professional) and we clean religiously from left to right and top to bottom.

1 Like

EuphoriaSoul that sounds about right and I don’t think there are many shortcuts if you want a place really clean. One of my house rules is that guests leave the house clean and tidy and so far (and I am fairly new at this!) so good. But even then, (I allow 5 guests and have 3 large bedrooms, a kitchen diner, a sitting room and bathroom ) I find it takes me and my husband about 2.30 hours to get everything cleaned thoroughly and I check and check again as it is easy to miss something. That does not take into account the time taken to do laundry and I rarely iron sheets. I drive my husband mad as I am so fussy but I want the place spotless and so far so good, the guests have given me 5 stars for everything; hope the ones leaving this Friday has the same opinion! I haven’t even gone into the outdoor work so basically I think most of us find that there is a lot of work being a host and by the time you pay tax the financial reward is modest.

2 Likes

I also work as a Housekeeper and an hour for a room + ensuite would be about right. I allow my staff 45 minutes.

Strip bed/ remove rubbish/ clean cups.
Make bed.
Clean bathroom.
Dust.
Hoover.

There’s no point dusting before you’ve done the bed, or in washing the sink before you’ve cleaned the tea tray.

Have all the kit in a tray, lots of cloths and a good hoover - Henrys are the best :slight_smile:

1 Like

This indicates you are doing your cleaning quite efficiently, almost all house hold chores require of hours of hard work. I would suggest few tips to do your cleaning efficiently. Prioritize your task after proper analysis. Get all the cluttered stuff cleared and arranged. Open your windows, get rid of all perishable items. Check this article which would give some idea about the homemaking tips for busy families http://www.rbcclean.com/blog/homemaking-tips/homemaking-tips-busy-families/ . Enjoy your work and never loathe, it will be more enjoyable. Have your favorite music turned on. Have happy cleaning

@cassid The main goal here would just to make sure you’re cleaning deeply once a month if you’re only listing a few times per month. It you’re listing is pretty much booked the majority of the month, two deeply cleanings would be best. In between, a few touch up cleanings should stop you from spending all your spare time cleaning between guests. If you need any help or have other questions feel free to reach out.

Mark
Swiftup

It rather depends on your definition of ‘deeply cleanings’. That would be helpful. Thank you.

1 Like

Hey @jaquo,

Hope all is well. Regarding ‘deep cleanings’, you’d be looking at anything such as:

Ceiling, light fixtures, ceiling fans, window frames, walls, window casings and sills, walls and baseboards.

There areas would need to be touched at least twice per month during a moderate to high booking rate in your calendar.

@edward Great tips. If you have any more you’d like to share we are putting together a ‘cleaning hacks’ directory. Feel free to PM me and we’ll get your tips live. Have a happy new year!

Mark
Swiftup Team

Those things - and more - need to be done after every group of guests, except one nighters.

Dusting should be done before vacuuming. Always work from higher surface to lower one. (Thank you, gravity!) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

But vacuuming kicks up dust in some places, like the arid southwest.

This doesn’t sound like deep cleaning, this sounds like each cleaning. LOL.

2 Likes

Wow is this really all you do as part of your routine to ‘deep clean’ your bathroom @johnpatrickmaid?

Understood. But it’s usually a fraction of what was there before dusting/vacuuming. If the dust is that noticeable after vacuuming, perhaps a better vacuum cleaner (or filter) is needed.

One other thing I do with deep cleaning is to run a stiff brush or whisk broom along the edges of wall to wall carpet to move the crud that collects there towards the center of the room before vacuuming. It’s a little thing, but it makes a noticeable difference.

1 Like