What if we create a database of problematic guests

Sorry adrienne,

it is only a suggestion. What you point out are problems.
Do you also have a constructive part how it could be realized?

yes, like someone said before, if hosts gave honest reviews every future host could judge for him/herself if they want to host that person.

3 Likes

If you are going to tell them in private you might as well tell them in the public review too. Itā€™s not like the praise in publish admonish in private thing. Then other hosts will never know the problems or that there even were problems.

Thatā€™s what the reviews are for. No list needed.

3 Likes

You were missing the pointā€¦a list of blacklisted guests is also potentially seen as a list of problem hostsā€¦self reported no less!

1 Like

Thatā€™s what the reviews are for. No list needed.

Hi Militaryhorsegal
Ahh! back to those reviews. A survey should be taken on how honest we are as hosts when we review. I honestly feel hosts have so much more to lose when they give a bad review openly.

I speak only from my experience. I hosted 10 guests, all friends. They trashed my place. I left a bad public review as I should for other hosts to read. I ended up with 10 angry guests giving negative reviews via google etc. after they had read my review on my accommodation platform. Tit for tat revenge awful and absolutely devastating.

A private list of bad guests for only hosts to read would be so much better!!! Of course, the logistics of this are a nightmare, but one of these days it will be done.

All the best
Al

You were missing the pointā€¦a list of blacklisted guests is also potentially seen as a list of problem hostsā€¦self reported no less!

Hi Militaryhorsegal

Sorry! I donā€™t see why a host is a problem when they put a ā€œbad guestā€ on a list. The only people who would see hosts ā€œa problemā€ would be bad guests. Ahh, another way to deter bad guests!!!

A guest who trashes an Airbnb or violates important house rules is in the wrong, not the host.
A guest is no different to any other part of the population. They need to follow social norms which is ā€œaccepted behaviour that an individual is expected to conform toā€. Itā€™s not that hard!
All the best
Al

3 Likes

I never ever do business with friends. Friends are all welcome when I am at the house if I give a party. If anyone wants to rent the houseā€¦ sorry im booked. But anyway this topic was about something else, like a centralized list of bad guests that only someone who has no idea of computers can come up with. This topic should be put to rest, closed so that anyone could not add anything else to it because honestly thereā€™s nothing else to discuss. Itā€™s a bad idea, impractical and all. Maybe if Airbnb existed in the middle ages when stuff like that was done by ledgers. itā€™s not the fact that there could be a list of back host, but the sheer amount of data. and searching on it. It would be millions of names, do you realize? how do you search on it? Do you think databases were invented for nothing?

1 Like

I agree with you absolutely on the fact that a bad guest list is impractical, even if a private list in a closed group. Even posting the idea or referring to a list that used to exist privately in the past is a bad idea. Itā€™s just a bad look like racist cops and border patrol agents making racist posts on facebook. Bad, dumb and impractical.

However, there are those here who get really angry when controversial topics get closed because they think they are being censored. Itā€™s just not an argument moderators want to have with members. If you see something that violates the forum TOS just flag it and the mods will look it over.

1 Like

Sorry but you missed the point of all 10 guests being friends, with each other, not with the hostā€¦

Please donā€™t forget, that Keith Richard, of course damaged hotel rooms, but as far as I know he always paid for the damage.

If you host a private guest the situation can be another. AirBnB ist making problems when claiming the ā€œHosts Guaranteeā€ so you may stay alone with the damage.

beat%20that

1 Like

sorry, my bad :slight_smile: but in any group of 10 or less people who book a place they are either friends or relatives or friends and relatives

This would be against Airbnb terms of service and could get you suspended from the platform. There are plenty of Airbnb blacklist forums or website groups out there, judge for yourself.

I think the best remedy is, if we hosts agree on a convention it the review process. All good, nice people, highly recommend = FINE. As soon as you start detailing an issue = red flag.

It is possible to turn a review in a way that a guest thinks its a compliment and other hosts are alerted. For example if I said ā€œIf you choose to host X, make extra sure your apartment is beyond immaculate on arrival in order to meet the expectations of this discerning guestā€. Would you get it? Or not?

1 Like

Why bother though? If guests have been unacceptable then the host doesnā€™t want them back. And if the host doesnā€™t want the guest back then why make it sound like a compliment?

Please, please, please just be honest.

I wish that hosts would think about their fellow hosts and in my particular case, the hosts who use IB. If a host has written an honest review then I can head trouble off before it arrives.

3 Likes

I would love to see namesā€¦ then we could all just block those peopleā€¦ No more problems! That is if I could get the block function to work :thinking:

Iā€™d also love to know how to get rid of the annoying ads covering where I type!

1 Like