What if we create a database of problematic guests

So you said in all this in their public review to save future hosts a problem? I assume so and that is what we need all hosts to do.

5 Likes

Remember though that this isnā€™t the fault of the guest. They might not have been great guests but ā€˜causing you stressā€™ is up to you and not up to them. Same with treating you badly - how come you allowed that?

1 Like

Yes I shouldnā€™t of allowed it to happen. I came home to find this guest clean my pans saying they were dirty . Anyway they were not he scratched up the ceramic pans . I think he was OCD . He had no previous reviews . Iā€™m learning now not to let guests in with 0 feed back .
But saying that I have had some good people through the door . . I have now put a note on my description say I wonā€™t tolerate bad behaviour of any kind . I have found when guests come they treat the house as if itā€™s there place . They are only booking a room.

1 Like

As far as some guests are concerned, they paid their money and a cleaning fee. Now they expect to be served. Your rules etc. are your issue, not theirs. And itā€™s easy to see how they got there. After all, this the same firm offering $1,000 a night suites, right? Same brand = world class service.

Personally I do not believe that stress caused by a guest is necessarily my issue to deal with. We all know guests who can be annoying, and most of us accept this. But there are also guests whose behaviour is intolerable and socially unacceptable.

yes, thatā€™s it. we review for future hosts.

with people without review is a gamble. You can reach some conclusions though if you donā€™t approve right away and engage them into a conversation. For example I say something like ā€œI see you are new on Airbnb. Welcome. I ask all my guest what brings you to the city and who will be coming with you?ā€ New people might put 1 guest but come with someone else. See how they respond. if they are nice, polite and give a good vibe I accept. if they donā€™t respond or treat me like iā€™m the maid, i reject. I never allow locals also.

Iā€™m wondering how all the blacklisters feel about being on a list of problematic hosts?

5 Likes

I think @adrienne12 is right on the money, here, with her suggestion that we ā€œget better at reading peopleā€ with the benefit of honest reviews when available. The problem of not-so-honest evaluations is universal and detrimental as evidenced by the declining quality of promotable personnel in the military. I canā€™t tell you how many times I inherited someone elseā€™s problem child because they gave a soldier an evaluation that allowed them to be promoted and transferred instead of counselled and disciplined or discharged. This was easier than dealing with the issue. Now there is a deficit of quality officers at the highest levels (in my opinion, I represent nobody, but Iā€™m right). The only time I had an issue with a guest was when I got mushy and ignored my gut. I donā€™t worry about reviews at all because I keep reading, here, that I shouldnā€™t. I suppose the first time I get a bad one Iā€™ll cry into my soup about it but, for now, I donā€™t care about them. I do what I do because itā€™s the right thing to do, not because anybody else says to do it.

Iā€™ve been having guests with no reviews for years and theyā€™ve never been a problem. In fact, some new guests are like new hosts in that they are keen to please and get positive reviews so they try harder.

Youā€™ll find that most experienced hosts agree - we were all new at some time and someone gave us a chance. So many new or newish hosts are wary of people who are new, are local, are too young, are too old, who ask questions, who ask for discounts, who ā€¦ well, you name it. There are no hard and fast rules that you can apply.

If you donā€™t want guests cleaning pans in your kitchen, simply donā€™t allow kitchen use. If people want a place with a kitchen, they can go elsewhere.

Thatā€™s a bit of a strange one because different people have diferent ideas about what ā€˜bad behaviourā€™ is. Putting it in your listing is unlikely to make a difference at all.

I find that quite sad, really. People can just book a room in hotels, hostels, B & Bs and so many other places. I like to think that Airbnb offers more.

1 Like

The story of my life. LOL.

Here you donā€™t have to add the disclaimer that your opinion is your own and not representative of the US uniformed services. :rofl:

Kudos to you!

1 Like

I gotta do it, I still hear them yelling in my ear to make sure Iā€™m representing myself properly.

2 Likes

yah, honesty would be the best policy. But I understand many people out there trying to make ends meet. airbnb search results could be a huge difference in the monthly budget.

I think we should all agree on a standard code saying something like ā€œthis guest stayed with us from x to yā€ without other comment, means beware. Of course without giving them a thumbs up. And preferably telling them in private message what they did wrong.

If I did not accept guests with 0 feedback, I would have 0 guests.

majority of my guests actually create an airbnb account in order to book my property;

Majority of totally new to airbnb guests with 0 reviews and who donā€™t know/understand airbnb review process.

2 Likes

Hi Ralf
I absolutely agree. I think it is essential to have a bad guest list.
This list is not a ban on these guests, itā€™s just an honest opinion of a guest. At least it gives hosts a heads up so that they can make an informed decision.
All the best
Al

1 Like

If there was a bad host list, it would not worry me as I would never see it, unless I actively hunted for it. Unfortunately, with social media the way it is, people can say whatever they want with very little recourse these days. The best hosts can do is provide a high level of good clean accommodation and most guests will be happy. Of course you canā€™t always please everyone.
All the best
Al

1 Like

If you think it is such of a necessity then why donā€™t one of you do it, instead of complaining about the lack of one?

JF

2 Likes

To all the people who said we need to have a bad guest list, good luck searching one name in a list with potential millions of names on it. And goo luck figuring out if it is the person you are really looking for because chances are there are multiple people with the same first name, last name.

You know, databases and computers were invented for a reasonā€¦ to simplify the work of someone who, like in the middle ages, kept ledgers. Maybe now you will understand the impracticality of this idea.

3 Likes

As I said earlier, thatā€™s what the review system is for. Thereā€™s absolutely no need for a ā€˜bad guest listā€™ if hosts can act properly and write honest reviews. Why donā€™t they? That IS the system and is much better than a list. Rather than trawling through some unofficial list, I can easily see what other hosts have written about those guests. right there and then at Airbnb. Simple.

6 Likes

Yes, you may be right. But as a host, you have the ā€œlast word in the evaluationā€.
I did this only one time, cause it was aweird situation. I have a checkin limitation until 10 PM.
I waited for guest until 10:30 and tried to reach him severak times, then I had to leave, cause of an appointment.
The result was an bad evaluation and what mad me really upset is that the guest evaluated
also cleaning situation etc. My summary is, that some guest may better stay at a hotel if they donā€™t want to accept houserules.