What do you think of the area!

strong textHello:
I separated an area in my home off to be able to Airbnb. We are not home a lot. It has a living room with full dining room set, full kitchen, bathroom and the family room has a queen Murphy bed. In addition an outdoor room with full wicker lawn furniture. We removed our personal belongings but have left some spices, flour etc in my home. We have locked off a lot of rooms in the house. Is this an acceptable situation? Thank you all.

Not sure I follow. So is there a bedroom with a bed - and - a queen bed in the family room?

What country? Is this a single family home where you have locked off some bedrooms, garage, basement? Please be specific. Thanks

Are you hosting when you are there? Not there? What are you calling the space you are offering? What are your expectations?

You walk in the front door to a formal living room with a dining set and rocking chair. Then you go into a full kitchen with a kitchen island and stools. (full kitchen). The bathroom is upstairs where the bedrooms are locked off upstairs. The queen Murphy bed is downstairs in the family room with tv, couch, chairs etc. This room also has a sliding glass door that goes into a screened in room with lawn furniture to a large backyard. Its a standard trilevel.
thank you. its a full house that we rent the area described.

So … anyone who wants to take a shower or use the bathroom needs to walk upstairs every time?

You have multiple bedrooms upstairs but are not allowing use of any of them?

If this is correct, you should rethink your idea. Hosting is about being able to host as many people as possible. It sounds like you want to turn an entire house into a strange 1 bedroom apartment - where the bathroom is on the 2nd floor.

1 Like

More is not better, nothing wrong with starting small and working up if you want, or not.

rr

6 Likes

This is not a full house rental.

Hello:
We are not there so they have the whole house to themselves with some locked off rooms. We removed our personals with the exception of some nick knacks.

I have a person if something is wrong.

1 Like

You are locking off how many bedrooms? This is not an ENTIRE house, as the guests cannot access the ENTIRE house.

??? What does that mean? I list a private room, with a single bed, for 1 guest only. I could move myself into the single room and list my larger bedroom with queen size bed, which could house a couple, instead. But I have no interest in doing that. I love my room and I also love hosting solo travellers. Are you saying I’m not a host, or not a good host, because I don’t do that? I don’t understand your statement at all.

4 Likes

Yes because we still work from our home when in town.
We only invite 2 .

No its not a full house just 625 square feet with a large outdoor room and backyard. No one is in the rest of the house when they are there.

I think that this is the issue you need to address first. Whether you describe your place as an entire home (which it doesn’t seem to be) or as a guest suite or whatever comes after you’ve sorted out who will be looking after your guests.

A ‘person’ to see to things ‘if they go wrong’ isn’t going to do the job.

Get that sorted, then your local permits, then your STR insurance and then start thinking about how to describe the space (and whether you’ll need to install a downstairs loo, which might be a good idea).

Looking at some of the other comments above, I think you’re going to have to explain that.

1 Like

Airbnb’s wording is “Entire Place” and I believe it does fit that category as long as you accurately describe and photograph what the guest can access and none of that is shared or accessible by others.

2 Likes

I agree with the people that say the layout isn’t great due to the bathroom being upstairs, and I think it will reflect in your reviews.

Personally, I would ditch the Murphy bed and allow guests to use one of the upstairs bedrooms.

@Brian_R170, I agree that accurately describing and photographing accessible areas is important.

But I also think, since many guests don’t read and don’t even look through all the photos, @kebaloco1 could end up with some negative reviews. Guests who are surprised by the locked doors, having to upstairs to the bathroom, and the lack of a true bedroom may be angry. “Entire Place” would lead me to believe that it was, indeed, an “entire place."

It’s hard to ensure that guests will “get” it. That can be very frustrating for hosts who’ve done their best to reveal what their space offers.

Question for @kebaloco1 about the murphy bed. Will it be set up and made up before guests arrive?

I disagree, I lock off bedrooms in my whole house listings, my 3+2 can be 2+2, 2+1, 1+1 . accomplished by locking rooms. They get exactly what is in the listing. What makes it an entire house is that it is not shared, the guests have the place to themselves.

RR

2 Likes

@RiverRock, I assume your listing always includes at least one bedroom. I think the lack of a real bedroom in the OP’s listing will be a disadvantage.

3 Likes

@muddy. OMG don’t take what I am saying to her as a statement against you. You are totally misunderstanding my intent and message. And what she is proposing is not remotely the same as renting out a room or any conventional “entire space to yourself” concept.

She is thinking about "renting out an entire house BUT … no bedrooms at all? Putting a bed in the LR, then saying “hey the bathroom is upstairs”. It is totally odd.

You have a room for rent. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

1 Like

Yep, exactly. That’s what I’m saying, rather than “muddy doesn’t have a real stay”

1 Like