What do you provide for babies/infants in your listing?

I’m happy, I have my first set of guests right now with a baby. :hugs:

I provide a diaper pail, highchair, baby gate, and pack-n-play, as well as a box with a changing blanket, baby oil/powder/shampoo, and baby wipes. I ask any guests that say they are bringing children if they want the highchair or pack-n-play set up and I have a fitted sheet to put on the pack-n-play.

I also have child locks on the cabinets and outlet covers on any unused lower outlets. In the kitchen is a set of plastic trays, plates, bowls, cups, and flatware. I even add a few snacks especially for little ones - goldfish and animal crackers. I have a short table with cushions for seats around it in a corner of the den, and toys in bins labeled with the age range in a wardrobe. Oh, and I put out refrigerator magnets for families with kids.

On recommendation from a family member I added a “splat mat” to go under the highchair to help protect my hardwood floors.

Am I missing anything? What do you provide to welcome babies or infants to your listing?

My listing is suitable for children and infants, but I don’t provide anything specific for them. I’ve hosted 3 families with infants and I told them when they booked that I don’t have any baby items, but they all said they would bring what they needed. I also had a guest 3 weeks ago that brought an infant but never told me.

I expect any family with infants would travel with everything they need except a bed and a high-chair. I’m planning to get a Pack 'n Play, but probably not going to get a high chair.

1 Like

Wow, you thought of everything! Your guests will be appreciative that you provided above and beyond expected baby supplies to make their baby feel right at home.

3 Likes

You are probably right. My guests right now asked for the highchair and baby gate, but brought their own pack-n-play.

2 Likes

I agree with this, especially since I rent in an area you must drive to, so guests are coming by car. Our management company said that even if we did supply a pack and play, guests would more than likely bring their own than gamble on something they might find unsuitable once they arrived. We are probably going to get one of those white ikea high chairs as a courtesy but also don’t expect it to get much use; those little tabletop high chairs that go from home to restaurant are ubiquitous these days.

Just as an aside, my sister has a two year old, and last year (when the baby was 14 months) we visit my aunt who is in the process of setting up an AirBnb. She insisted my sister not bring a Pack and Play or high chair because she was going to buy baby furniture for her new rental. When we got there the high chair was ok but the crib she got was definitely not. It was the style that had been recalled in the 90s because babies were killed by it!

My aunt was offended when my brother-in-law called it a death trap and went out to buy a Pack and Play, and my sister was pissed she hadn’t just brought her own. We told my aunt not to put the crib in her listing; it’s not up yet so no idea if she is going to listen. I guess my point here is that if the furniture you get isn’t up-to-snuff for the guests you get, they’re likely to be angry and possibly leave bad reviews, especially if they have to run to Target to get something they otherwise would have bought.

3 Likes

Good point, I know the older cribs are not safe. I purchased a brand new highchair and pack-n-play to make sure they were up to safety standards and made copies of their manuals that stay with them. I also have them pictured in my listing so guests can decide if they will work for them.

3 Likes

It doesn’t sound like it!

Not a single thing. In fact, what I have to offer is quite the opposite: twisty narrow stairs, random dogs, 2nd floor windows, knives hanging on the wall, unbolted bookshelves, 120 year old wood floors (with handmade and irregular nails), heater covers that have cut me when I clean them, lots of open electrical outlets, blinds with pull cords, not a single child-friendly snack, beverage or toiletry, etc, etc .

And, yet, I continue to get people who want to bring their kids and infants here :woman_shrugging: There are a lot of places like yours that provide all of the supplies and safety features in my neighborhood and I refer them to those listings. And yet many of them will continue to push and say that they’ll bring their own outlet covers and stair gates and pack and plays and everything. I’m shocked at what people travel with (all of those big SUVs almost make sense now).

My point is (yes there is one) that I think you are more than covered. And you have filled-out this amenity area thoroughly as you have other amenities. I would definitely send people with kids to your place :grin:

8 Likes

We haven’t provided anything specific for kids except games and children-appropriate movies/shows on DVD. Our walls don’t line up for a baby gate to be possible and there is a staircase to three floors in the middle of the house. Kids are welcome but it isn’t a kid-proof/friendly listing, with all the wonderful amenities that you are providing. (Which is very nice of you!) I didn’t even put in the outlet plugs bc, from personal experience, my daughter found them fascinating (!) to play with, but left the plugs alone if they weren’t in them. (Kids … Constantly trying to do themselves in, regardless of our best intentions🤦)

Most people have brought their own stuff and, as a mom, I would have too. And, from a legal standpoint (because that is my day-life), I’d be hesitant to provide something, have a child get hurt, and be held responsible. Legally, or morally, I would be heartbroken to have someone get hurt. So I consider it solely the parent’s responsibility to care for what their kiddos need.

7 Likes

Nothing… and still they keep coming.

Parents always bring everything they need, brainwashed by the industry thinking everything is unsafe and unhygienic if is not completely new and the latest “thing”.

And remember babies and infants are staying for free…

1 Like

I provide everything you do, plus a bunch more like bouncy chairs, monitors, infant and child thermometers, booster seats, etc. I cater to families being 15 minutes to SeaWorld. The 1 item you did not mention that I would recommend though is an infant bathtub. I just cringe at the idea of someone bathing a newborn in my sinks or tubs. I have had at least 6 or more infants that were under a month to 4 months and all the parents thanked us for the infant bathtub.

1 Like

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Comfort-Newborn-Toddler/dp/B000067EH7

1 Like

That should work fine it’s similar to ones I use. Here’s a review from one family that has stayed 3 times now. The first stay the baby was only 3 weeks old. These odd things do get noticed:

This was the second time staying here, and it was just as good as the first time. We have three kids (oldest 3 y.o., youngest 3 m.o.) and the owner was very accommodating. She had a crib, high chair, and a newborn bath tub available for us.

1 Like

You’ve thought of absolutely everything and your guests should be delighted.

Just one quick comment though - we don’t accept infants or babies so I’m not 100% sure that I’m right about this but aren’t they free and not included in the price?

I’m sure that you’ve calculated everything properly but for new hosts, I’d urge them to make sure that the investment in baby-stuff is worth it.

3 Likes

At my whole house listing they are paid for at the same $20/night additional person fee as adults and children as I have it in my house rules.

At my shared house private bedroom listing no kids or infants allowed.

1 Like

Air does not care, under 2 is free.

RR

I have a restaurant wood high chair, I have pulled it out twice in two years.

Nothing else. I love babies, they don’t smear boogers on the fridge. Toddlers on the other hand…

RR

1 Like

Yes, but the rest of the family is paying! :dollar:

Of course I am a relatively new host and only time will tell if I get lots of baby stays, but here is what I spent on baby items if anyone else is considering putting them in their listing:

highchair $25
pack-n-play $40
diaper pail $15
baby gate $10
changing blanket $6
supplies $3
outlet covers $3
cabinet locks $8

The toys, plastic dinnerware, and magnets aren’t really baby-specific so much as child-specific so I didn’t count them.

So a total of about $110, and that was purchasing everything new. This first stay with a baby has paid for everything, and I am hoping that having the items will attract more families to my house. The families I’ve had so far have been great - they tend to stay longer, they keep normal hours and are out of the house for most of their stay, and they usually leave the house very clean. They also appreciate all the amenities I have in the house which is more fun for me. :blush:

3 Likes

Well if all the unauthorized guests I have had an infant (or child) has never been one of them. People hide their dogs in their cars or have other adults dropped off at the nearest gas station to be picked back up after check-in but not one has hidden their child…they don’t get in until they pay up. Never had to worry about that for the infant though since they always mentioned it beforehand so I added it.

1 Like

A pack-n-play, that’s it. Don’t provide anything else. We don’t get that many kids or infants, nor do I want them.

That’s great info, thank you.

We get so many new or potential hosts lurking here so it’s great to have that information for them. :slight_smile:

1 Like