What do I say? Guests told me they are going to just take something

I agree with Kona. Adding that this guest needs a therapeutic smack down, not enabling. Plus, imagine the back and forth that would ensue with valuation of the item, the hassle to replace it, etc.

4 Likes

ā€¦ yes to you and Kona, plus Iā€™m pretty sure OP said she had guests booked right after who would need the stool. So itā€™s not about being a nice host and letting them take something youā€™re not attached to, itā€™s them being thoughtless, self - centered guests who are removing an amenity the next guest needs.

6 Likes

Exactly! She left it there for ALL her guests to use! If it was THERE itā€™s because itā€™s a value asset to guests. Who pays for the time involved in sourcing out a replacement and having to go get it?

It is NOT polite to tell someone you will steal from them. Itā€™s a criminal offense.

I really wish @Wendy_Darling would tell us all the end of the story!

6 Likes

Guests take things all the time if posts on this forum are to be believed. What sets this story apart is the notification in advance. I could speculate on what kind of person would do this but all those speculations would be inappropriate and invite a great deal of controversy.

Meanwhile, the OP has flown off to Australia and so many of us sit here waiting for an update. Sigh.

5 Likes

Let her know she is welcome to take the stool, and you will have AirBnB bill her $200- use the message platform on the site and send a special offer. If she doesnt pay, AirBnb will see the electronic trail and can hold her security deposit.Or tell her no, and let her know you will be checking contents of home after checkout. Keep tone professional and firm.
Good luck

1 Like

This is truly ridiculous. I would never be worried about a bad review in a case like this. Frankly, you need to tell the guest to leave the stool where it is; and that if she steals it, you will file charges for theft. This is totally unacceptable. This is your property and the guest is totally out of line.

Given the evidence youā€™ve provided in the e- mail thread you posted; I can guarantee that Airbnb will remove any bad review posted b this idiot guest. Iā€™ve experienced something similar( and Airbnb removed the poor review.

My advice: Stand your ground. The stool stays.

1 Like

I NEED to know what happened!!! Was the stool
Kidnapped!!??

3 Likes

Insanity. No, she does not get to help herself to your furniture. If she takes it, and be sure to tell her NO, via the Air message system, you can report it as theft to Air. I am, for once just about at a loss for wordsā€¦

1 Like

what the actual FUCK!!! ā€˜i WILL take the stoolā€™ no you EFFING WONā€™T!!! how dare she!! iā€™m absolutely gobsmacked. even if it was a piece of old tat that I didnā€™t really want I wouldnā€™t let someone take it with that attitude. absolutely unbelievable.

5 Likes

Iā€™m beginning to think the stool-coveter arranged for the plane to be hijacked so the host couldnā€™t oppose this.
:upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Oh. My. God. Now Iā€™ve heard everything. This calibre of guest is the reason I no longer host on Airbnb. I would tell her that it was difficult to find and you need it, but fot$200 she can take it. Iā€™m sure youā€™re communicating within the app so customer service will see it when you make your claim. What a hideā€¦

1 Like

Get hold of airbnb nowā€¦ and warn them about this guest.

Airbnb can direct you to what your options areā€¦ and if the guest posts a bad reviewā€¦ it will likely not be applied to your overall score.

1 Like

What an appropriate name @tealeaf for this thread (cockney rhyming slang 'tealeaf = thief)

1 Like

This is a thief, so process accordingly.

Thatā€™s amusing. I am British. But noā€¦ I am not a thief.

I am trying to give good advice.

I am an airbnb host and have had good results with Airbnb dealing with
difficult guests. I think it is because I communicate early with them
about issues. I try to understand with Airbnbā€™s help how to resolve issues.

I appreciate that ā€¦it was just an amusing play on words rather than talking about you specifically :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is the state of affairs with so many guests right now. Self entitled people. Why should this host have to let her go shopping in her rental? Iā€™m seeing crazy stuff like this more and more. Guest just sliced off one of the framed prints we had on the wall. Of course we took it out of there security deposit. When asked they said. Well I liked it for my apartment. Wtf. And what stops us from telling these people how we really feel? A negative review. I have been recently threatened with bad reviews if we didnā€™t give the guest X Y and Z. I try to calmly say. Listen if you feel you need to extort us in lieu of a bad review thatā€™s up to you but we refuse to let people steel furniture out of the house so there kid can have a stool. Airbnb should have the power to reality check some of these guests.

7 Likes

Anyone who removes anything from a room or home is a crook and the police need to be called and a report filed. This is no grey area!

Unreal Barry!

5 Likes

Long ago hotels started security mounting the art to the walls in the rooms. This is nothing new.

3 Likes

Dā€™oh, @tealeaf! @Helsi was taking the piss.
Earl Grey of course!

2 Likes