What do I say? Guests told me they are going to just take something

Hi, I have a current guest in our place and she wants to take something from our apartment. The problem is that we need it, it took ages to find it and our next guests will definitely need it. She has already complained about some non existent issues like we have no children’s hair wash, the taps don’t run hard enough for her liking etc so we are wary of a bad review.

This is what she said:

"Hi Wendy ,

Thank you so much for accommodating us . Oh by the way Wendy . I will owe you something , we will take your stool in the bathroom . We tried to look the same stool in the bathroom at vallas store but we cannot find it. I will just pay you or I will send you a new one when we get back to New York , we just desperately need it in our car:) . Thank you so much!"

So what do I say? We are flying out back to Australia today so have no time to go looking for one and it took us ages last time. Plus the full price of one is about $40 and the one she has decided to take I got on sale for $5.99 and thanked my lucky stars.

I’m amazed that I’m even thinking about letting her have it but I’m stressed enough with flying and everything without this as well first thing in the morning!

2 Likes

Outrageous, charge her $200

12 Likes

Yes, it’s a child’s stool, a special safety one to stand at the sink and use the toilet.

1 Like

I thought I heard it all but obviously not😀.
She actually is not even asking you, she just “informs” you that she takes a stool.

My answer to her would be :smile:
If you take anything out of my appartment I would consider it stealing and will report you to police and Airbnb .
The woman is crazy.

29 Likes

Explain your next lot of guests need it and you do not have time to run around replacing things! Guests with kids , urgh :joy:

2 Likes

Say: back away from the stool with your hands in the air! :raised_hands:

22 Likes

OMG I can’t believe you are even considering it. Message her back now and make it clear that she can’t take it and is required for other guests using the property.

If she likes it so much let her get one.

Some people

10 Likes

Yana is right. Call the cops. Stupid idiot guests.

13 Likes

New House Rule:

No stealing stools!

(Or you’ll be in deep shit!)

20 Likes

Just out of interest, what are her other reviews like? I know what mine would say : “STOOL THIEF”.

4 Likes

I would also call Airbnb and say this is what the guest said I will be calling the cops if she leaves with that stool. If she messaged you on the Air platform, all the better. Not only tell her she is not allowed, but tell her that Air has been informed, as well.

12 Likes

NO. The nerve of some people!

One talks about a missing chair, the other a dressing table taken, the third a garden bench gone awol!

:rofl::rofl:

9 Likes

I swear I learn more about people from reading this forum, it’s enlightening. Who would even think about removing property belonging to someone else. I think we should all come together and write a book, it will be a best seller.

9 Likes

Well, I suppose you could say at least she let you know she was taking it …

(I am of course joking)

And by the way, I do like that Ming vase you have - just to let you know I’m popping it in my suitcase. Bye, and thanks for a lovely stay!

9 Likes

Guest: we love the cottage so much that we’ve hired a flatbed and are moving it to our land up north. Hope you will come and visit us and it. Please let us know how much we owe you as we are not thieves. Thanks!

13 Likes

Sorry, you can’t take the stool. It’s irreplaceable and my next guests will be using it. DO NOT WORRY about a bad review! Whatever she posts won’t amount to much and will get pushed down when your next guests arrive… she’s clearly incredibly entitled and should not be allowed to get away with her behavior. Be strong! You can do it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I agree with everyone here, tell her under no circumstances is she permitted to remove the stool from the home. You don’t furnish the house so people can take whatever they like. Also call Airbnb and tell them of the situation and have THEM call the guest reiterating that she is not allowed to have the stool.

6 Likes

I would consider this unbelievable…but it is happening!
I agree with everyone else.
Get on the ABB messaging system at once, and state that she is not allowed to remove any property from your rental.
If she did not send this message via the ABB system, screen shot and attach it to that response.

3 Likes

Dear Guest
Delighted that you are enjoying the amenities I offer. Unfortunately I can’t allow you to remove the stool as it is part of what I offer at the accommodation. You can buy the stool here…---->
Have a safe trip!

5 Likes