What do I say? Guests told me they are going to just take something

I had 2 teddy bears I inherited (and washed) when I bought my house and they usually live at the top of the cupboard in the kids room for guests. On leaving one guest with a very cute 18 month old asked me where they could buy one just like it as their toddler had become very attached to it and cried when they (not me) tried to take it away from her. I had no idea where it came from and I suppose I could have charged them $20 or more for it but I let them keep it and said I was glad Littlest Ted had found a new home and friend to go and live with. That’s gotta be worth some karma points surely?

But a bathroom stool? What are they like? Never!

3 Likes

Wendy–can you do a “preemptive strike” by taking it out of the unit before they check out? Also EVERYTHING is for sale on Amazon. Find the product & send her the link.

4 Likes

Just don’t leave that book lying around or some guest will steal it.

3 Likes

Did the guest respond to your directive to NOT STEAL? Tell us what happens!

6 Likes

Absolutely agree with Yana. It’s theft, pure and simple. She lacks any insight and appears to sport that sense of entitlement.

I go to bed in shock… Jx

4 Likes

“Hello, Guest. I am so pleased to hear you are enjoying your stay. Use of furniture items – including the bathroom stool – is limited to the duration of your stay. Items cannot be removed from the premises. With that, I thank you for your kind feedback and wish you safe travels.”

If she still takes it, i agree with others…ding her on her security deposit big time and post a message to air immediately stating that not only did a guest steal an item from your space, it’s documented that she told you she was going to steal it and then did so even after you clearly spelled out to her that the item cannot be removed. They should respond by deleting her account.

All that said, yes. This person is a complete nutcase.

11 Likes

Honestly, I am on the edge of my seat waiting to hear because this is the craziest effin’ post of the month. Possibly the year.

19 Likes

Me too. I turned my notifications back on just for this!!! :rofl::rofl:

10 Likes

Wendy,

1. I would, politely by firmly, “No fucking way.”
  2. I would say I consider this to be stealing, and that guests get rating, too.
  3. I make may guest live a $500 security deposit, which normally is refunded. In this situation, no.

Andy Rovins

6 Likes

Wow, wow, wow! I got a knot in my stomach just reading her message to you. It’s stuff like this that is making me decide to take a long, if not permanent, break from hosting. Dealing with insanitary like this just isn’t worth it! Hope your stool stays in its rightful place and you never have to think about this woman again!

1 Like

This is so bizarre I mentioned it to my husband, who is a business consultant and deals with quasi-legal matters from time to time.

He said that TELLING you that she is going to take it would be considered “Assault”.

For example, an “assault and battery” charge means that someone says they will harm you (“I’m going to hit you”) - Assault; and then they follow through and hit you - Battery.

So this would be assault and theft. Telling you that they are going to steal something is a crime unto itself, obviously causing you angst with the rest of this Air Host forum in complete, jaw-dropping awe (in a BAD way).

Even if she doesn’t take it in the end, you should mention her threat in your review.

7 Likes

I think it’s fair to say that all of us are waiting on the end of this story. Did the guest dare to steal the stool? I still can’t believe her message to you! Such entitlement.

2 Likes

Yes! Please tell us the end of the story!

1 Like

Come to think of it, it’ll be quite interesting to see how guests react to finding a book at a host’s place called ‘1001 annoying and stupid things Airbnb guests have done’ !

4 Likes

Yes, it will need to have a page for each entry, in order to make it thick enough to use as a stool.

5 Likes

Nah, they can just use the updated second edition – of course with loads of input from this forum, published 5 years later in 2017: ‘1000001 annoying and stupid things Airbnb guests have done’
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

@Wendy_Darling What happened??? The suspense is killing me!

3 Likes

Share with her where you bought it and tell her to go buy for herself.

I’d simply use her messages as proof and request $150.00 from the AirBnB Host Guarantee, she didn’t have your permission, she stole it, although very politely.

But what if this was a family heirloom… an antique or some other sentimental item?

3 Likes