What are the nicest/funniest reviews you’ve got?

Queen’s English please; she’s not dead yet!

1 Like

Queen’s English is defined as English spoken and written by ‘educated’ people in Britain so won’t apply to the majority here including myself :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, and I said as much. I’m still not sure what is unclear here.

Perhaps I should have deleted the whole thing, since it seems to have caused some confusion.

I grew up in India, which mostly still used (and uses) British spelling, for historical reasons. When they are not inventing their own ghastly English dialect, that is. And I live in the US for a long time. So my spelling is terminally confused.

Not my understanding of the Queen’s (yuck) English. Just standard English. But as I’ve now said more than once, I was mistaken. Can we stop talking about this now, please?

@faheem

But wait, wait, wait! I didn’t get a chance to say anything and I’ve had my hand up in the air for a long time…(harrumpf). Not fair!

(stomp, stomp, stomp…)

1 Like

What’s on your mind, @SandyToes? :slight_smile:

@faheem

Ahh…er…(hmm) uh, never-mind, I forgot…:grimacing:

That’s how it was in school half the time. I’d get so excited and wanted to get called on but by the time the teacher called me, I was so nervous and stuttered or just plain forgot. (sigh)

…just curious, why do you say “yuck” in relation to the Q’s English?

The yuck is in reference to the Queen, not the English language.

Monarchy sucks in general. It’s an unnecessary relic of a worse time. And the British version has its own specific weird aspects. I think the British would be well served to get rid of this particular relic of their old bad past. It’s particularly strange that the British put the face of some random woman who has never done anything, on their currency, for no reason. But it’s a strange world.

I think that Russell Brand puts it as well as anyone. He’s got a few videos commenting on how bizarre the British monarchy system is. You can find them on Youtube, or I could post a link. He’s mostly on point, though I wish he could be a little less wacky about how he talks about stuff.

4 Likes

Yes, it is strange. Still if the alternative is an elected Head of State - we could have had Maggie Thatcher! - or even Donald Trump!!

2 Likes

The UK does get an elected PM. I don’t really see much difference whether one calls someone like that Head of State or not. But IMO it does make a difference whether a random unelected person is considered to be Head of State.

I love Russell Brand!!!

Trump is THE WORST PRESIDENT IN THE HISTORY OF THE UNITED STATES…
But his election was not a fluke. That is the scary thing.

2 Likes

Faheem - there is a distinct difference between the role of a Head of State and an elected political leader. The former is a long-term position to represent their country at state events and to whom the political leader is to an extent accountable. The latter is a much more focused day-to-day leader. Many European countries have this model - France, Germany, Austria, Ireland to name but a few. In these countries the HoS is elected (often on a non-party-political ticket) and is usually called the President. In many other European countries - UK, Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, etc - the HoS is a member of a hereditary royal family. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

1 Like

The funniest has to be: “the only accommodation we had without insect!!”

1 Like

My Uber rating has gotten so bad that I’ve started to bring the driver mints and bottled water.

The people don’t elect our PM. They are either voted for by members of a particular party or MPs.

1 Like