Washing duvet covers between every guest?

I know…I just like it so much. It’s certainly washable and sturdy, but I know it would fade quickly if washed every day. I have mostly one night stays but only about 10-15 days a month.

k9 – If it’s a quilt or bedspread (some hotels still use these), I usually just strip it off the bed as I assume those aren’t washed regularly.

If something is on the bed and is obviously decorative (sometimes people will fold a blanket and run it across the middle or bottom of the bed) I assume it’s not washed regularly and I also don’t use it (and I’m not grossed out by it.)

But I do make some body contact with a duvet when I’m sleeping (although I usually fold the top sheet over the duvet so there’s not prob not much…)

@chicagohost I wish there was some way to market to those like yourself who are concerned about these sorts of things without seeming strange. I can’t imagine putting “freshly laundered duvet cover” in my listing. Or can I?

It’s all about the weather. I’m in Southern California. It’s hot as hell here, even at the coast. I put a fitted sheet on the bed with a top sheet. There’s a lightweight cotton blanket I fold up and put at the foot of the bed that someone might pull up half way in the early hours of the day. Otherwise, all anyone seems to be using is just a top sheet, much the same as people are using in India.

2 Likes

The duvet is something that’s needed in colder climates. I’m in Southern California near the ocean so it’s not that cold, but it does get pretty cold some winter nights but not many. A duvet would be useful then, but otherwise I just have fitted sheet, top sheet and a medium weight cotton blanket that I put at the foot of the bed.

A duvet is what we 'Mercans would call a comforter, but it’s not encased in a cover like a duvet is I think, which is a great idea. I’ve gotta get a set before winter for my AIrbnb guests because I can’t imagine not washing it, at least the cover, after each guest.

1 Like

NO IT IS NOT!!!

That is what makes the whole discussion confusing.

A duvet is NOT a comforter.

9 Likes

A comforter is a synthetic filled blanket. Duvet is basically the inside of a comforter that may be synthetic or down depending without the fancy pattern fabric because you put a cover on it.

2 Likes

Sigh … I thought my Rules would have ended the discussion, but no, it seems this one will run and run …

@J_Wang Yes, many Spanish people prefer that combination too, but since Ikea arrived here about 12 years ago I’ve noticed more people changing to duvets. We don’t have aircon in our bedroom (guests do!) but I still prefer a lightweight duvet to a sheet on all but the hottest nights, when we have no top layer at all. I like the weight and comfort of the duvet and when I have a sheet it gets very tangled (I am NOT a tidy sleeper!)

2 Likes

Comforters are also down filled. And I totally understand what a duvet is; I’ve been to a few European countries. It’s a “comforter” with a removable cover–like a pillow protector only bigger–that some people here wash after every guest and others don’t. It’s used without a top sheet.

Why not? I mention that all bed linens are freshly laundered and that there are loads of fresh towels. (I’ve had a few guests ask if they need to bring these items.) Besides, the guests will figure out on their own if anything isn’t fresh. It’s weird how you think you can get away with not washing that blanket because the guest didn’t use it, but all it takes is for them to touch a corner of it with a hand that’s got suntan lotion or sweat on it and it’s a “goner” :slight_smile:

1 Like

After hosting 2 years, I have 127 5 stars and two 4 stars for cleanliness. So my guests apparently don’t care if the duvet cover, comforter, quilt or bedspread is laundered. I’d say 1 of 5 guests gets a freshly laundered top layer. 2-3 of 5 gets a top layer that’s been put through the steam fresh cycle of the dryer and then line dried outdoors. Although I probably don’t need to change what I’m doing at all, I find the arguments here for laundering each time to be persuasive. In fact I ordered a new ethnic duvet cover last night. So now I can alternate. I have a lot of one night turnovers and so washing everything and getting it dry and back on the bed in as little as 4 hours can be tricky. Edit: also I have a dog comforter for winter and a dog duvet for summer that get used when the person has a dog with them. Those do get washed after each guest. They are my oldest and least attractive items.

But if I’m going to do it I’d like to be able to leverage it to my advantage. Simply saying “all bed linens” will probably send the message I want to send. If someone is really OCD about it they probably won’t choose my place due to the dogs anyway.

3 Likes

Here we go again :))))) So, do you consider the sheets, both top and bottom, as part of the top layer?

I always wash those regardless, even if the guest has just slept on top of everything since it’s been so warm here. I do “cheat” with the cotton blanket that usually gets thrown aside and hang that on the outline line for a couple hours to blow in the breeze.

I’ve never had anyone with a dog, and they’ve asked even though I say no pets. What’s that been like for you? Is there competition between yours and theirs?

Top layer is duvet with cover, or duvet cover with no filler, or American comforter or quilt. I used different top layers with the seasons. A blanket is only provided once it gets cool. Top and fitted sheets and pillowcases washed each time. The ABB dogs have all been okay so far. Most are friendly but if they aren’t people can walk their dog out front and never see the dogs here. I also have baby gates in the house and separate areas outside in the back. My home is exceptionally well situated for dog hosting.

1 Like

Wow. You’ve got a very professional set-up. Pardon me if this has been discussed earlier about your ABB offering; What’s your maximum number of guests per visit?

@Sarah_Warren,

Actually, these days you can listen live to many (most?) radio stations streamed live via the internet. The bandwidth consumption is not trivial, but most of you lucky folks in the US don’t have to worry about data restrictions.

1 Like

Many years ago, when I was in grad school at Chapel Hill, I used to hang out with an American grad student from Buffalo (I think it was). I remember once telling him that some food had probably gone off. Cue hysterical, rolling on the floor laughter. Apparently he had never come across the phrase “gone off” when applied to food. This is probably a Britishism.

I think I’m having a “Readers Digest moment”.

1 Like

I’ve been to India and stayed in hostel type places and a few low end but very charming hotels. Most of the time there was a thin cotton blanket on the bed and then another one to pull over you when you slept. This is pretty much how I sleep now at home. It’s very simple and low maintenance and works great for warmer climates.

arrrghhhhhh!!! :smile:

2 Likes

Just to add to the fun - Australians word for duvet is doona!

Another interesting detail (no really, it’s super interesting!) is that even though duvet is a French word (meaning down), a duvet in France is called une couette.

6 Likes

OMG. I hope you’re kidding. Even in scuzzy hotels they change the sheets!!!

4 Likes