Washing duvet covers between every guest?

I don’t have a duvet cover - I have a comforter.
I use bottom and top sheets on the bed - and haven’t noticed any of our guests removing the top sheet.
So, those I wash.
I purchased white cotton sheets and pillowcases - so I wash them in a non-chlorine bleach.

As for the comforter - I was thinking to wash that once a month.

But, I agree with Cazz…if I noticed that a guest had not used the top sheet - I’d definitely throw the comforter in the washer.

I too worked in Hotels, I never saw the blankets or comforters, coverlets washed or changed unless they were stained. I worked the mangler in the laundry room my first year at age 12, for those that don’t know it’s a gigantic ironing machine for sheets, which is why hotels use 2 flat sheets, and no fitted sheets. I didn’t have any fingerprints for 5 months that’s how hot the sheets are when they come out. If you want your sheets ironed stay in a hotel, and if you want to make sure your comforter, coverlet or duvet is clean take your own, I travel with my own pillow as well.

3 Likes

you are so right :slight_smile:
I had to read through a few of those comments to figure out what they meant …

I am from Europe and I always use doonas, come in nice sets… easy to use… I never liked the top sheet and blanket nonsense, and comforters and stuff… too much fabric and it gets separated and mungled up when one sleeps and is hard to keep nice on the beds… reminds me of boarding school and hospital corners :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

doonas are the go :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve seen photos of that cover, if you do replace it, perhaps you could use it as a wall hanging in the room? It’s quite beautiful.

Thank you very much. The new one is also an ethnic style that is a lighter weight (like sheets) so I could probably get it dried in my turnover window if I have back to backs. The one you saw before will be used if I don’t have time to dry this one and in cooler temps. It’s a heavier weight sanded cotton. Then in winter I’ll put the insert in the sanded one and/or use the quilt I have.

5 Likes

LOVE that, link
Please?

Note, it’s only available in King which is why it’s a bedspread and not a duvet on my full size bed. LOL.

2 Likes

My duvet cover gets wrinkly on the pillow end when people use it. I had a guest once leave, I found the cover neatly folded on a chair. It was still very pressed. I didn’t wash it.That is the only time I didn’t wash it. Any thing that comes in contact with skin gets washed. I think its icky if it doesn’t get washed.

@SuiteRetreat I concur. I have a duvet cover and after a few months of wrestling with it after each guest, i have ordered a coverlet/ light weight quilt.
What a pain that cover is !

1 Like

Wool blankets aren’t meant to be washed frequently. Spot clean, shake and hang to air. Wash in wam not hot water, gentle detergent, hang to dry. Usually once a year. If you use a top sheet, the treat the duvet and cover as you would a comforter.
Don’t forget to wash pillows. I love my ikea pillows they wash well. Wait for a dry, hot, sunny day and they can be air dried.

How lovely to see this Air Hosts’ Forum Classic popping up again :wink:

6 Likes

Is it time to clue newbies in on the importance of electric kettles?

7 Likes

I wash all bed linen, towels etc between every booking and frankly would be horrified at the thought of sleeping in a bed where the bed linen was not fresh.

6 Likes

I am surprised the topic of triple sheeting was not mentioned in the comments here. With triple sheeting, you get the benefits of a top sheet/duvet cover, yet everything is easy to wash. There is no struggling to insert a duvet into a cover. I am still in the planning stages with my Airbnb property set to start next month, so I know I don’t have the experience that the rest of you have at the moment. However, from my research, this seems to be a great solution. Also, the comforter/blanket that we intend to use as the layer sandwiched between sheets is thin enough to be washed in the washing machine weekly or any time necessary. We will have a colored throw blanket at the foot of the bed that will also fit in the washer. I intend to wash that weekly or any time it appears to have been used.

1 Like

Just because you intend for a bed to be slept in in a certain way, doesn’t mean that your guests will comply. I have had people who have slept on top of the duvet, under the duvet but on top of the top sheet, and between the top sheet and the bottom sheet, plus who all knows what else. Unless the guest folds up the linens that they don’t wish to use and puts them on a shelf or in the closet, you have no way of knowing what linens have been used.

I suppose we could instruct our guests as to which part of the bed should touch their skin, but I would consider that to be rude and condescending, so I wash everything that is on the bed between guests.

6 Likes

Wool blankets are elegant. Hudson Bay blankets sell for around $300, more, if they’re antiques.

Heavy blankets, even weighted blankets, are becoming something of a statement piece. Casper makes one, for example, and they cater to hipsters. They’re said to be more calming than a lightweight cover.

I keep an eye on design trends and we try to stay on top of the curve in our listings. We’ve started transitioning to quilts, vintage wool blankets and antique bedspreads as a result.

A lot depends on where you are. The next Harry Potter series is set in our area, so our design aesthetic will be even more emphatically rustic American modern. That means - goodbye duvets. They’re too common. But I am aware that our aesthetic only works as well as it does because of the context.

1 Like

we triple sheet. We are considered “upscale”. …and are prices reflect this.
Be aware that most newbies dramatically underprice the listing, and are blind as to the real costs of renting.
You will find triple sheeting to be a lot of work over time and a lot of wash. I still think it is great…and the way to go.
We not only triple sheet, but we also use a duvet that gets washed also. for that extra cleanliness. Not too many places do this.
I personally could not stand the creepy thought of a comforter touching my body, that was triple sheeted and so covered, but not washed. I kick off the sheets.
So to me, a place that triple sheets, still needs to wash the comforter. Just sayin’.

1 Like

I am staying in a hotel this weekend that triple sheets and to be honest, I don’t actually care for it. It is a lot of covering and it weighs a lot! I prefer to be able to choose how heavy my coverings will be. Though I am in the northeast, and it is getting cold outside, this hotel has modern heating and there is no reason for this amount of covering. I have resisted the urge to undo all of this triple stuff, but only because I run an AirBNB now. :slight_smile:

you are correct…it does weigh a lot because it has a lot of extra ( clean ) layers.
I choose “clean” over any other option, and I fret a lot in hotels about how clean those beds, and coverings are.
Triple sheeting is the cleanest option, and I hope that the comforter portion is also kept clean.

Just reinforces that cleaning every layer, regardless of how you choose to build your layers is essential.

2 Likes