Washing duvet covers between every guest?

I have a system, the duvet cover is inside out and I put my hands inside the duvet cover and grab the top 2 corners. I then pull the duvet cover around the duvet and fluff it out. Then I flatten the duvet out on the bed.

OR

They have clips you can use. The cheater way.

4 Likes

I was trying to imagine how that would go…but then I realized you were just making a funny and speaking to me in Klingon :alien: lol!

Oh! My guests just pulled in - they were attending a wedding. When they opened the car door pot smoke billowed up to my open window. I bet if I offered them Doritos right now, I would get a glowing review.

4 Likes

:laughing:
(Post must have at least 20 characters)

In most of Europe you get a duvet with a cover and NO top sheet. And of course the duvet cover is washed every time there is a change of linen. Why would you want or need a top sheet? The top sheet is to protect you from contact with a duvet or blanket that is not washed every time you change (and wash) the bottom sheet and the pillow cases.

3 Likes

I’ll say it again – I want a top sheet with a freshly cleaned duvet because my sheets are high thread count and very soft. My duvet cover is not high thread count and I do not want it directly against my skin. I sleep better with very soft, cool sheets.

3 Likes

This here is the difference between American and European duvets/comforters. My duvet covers are soft 100% cotton and you don’t need a top sheet. Obviously each to their own but I can’t help thinking that American bedding is incredibly complicated and fussy. It does remind me of staying with my grandmother in the '60s. Honestly, duvets are so easy to deal with.

edit: meant that to be a reply to @chicagohost

5 Likes

Exactly, each to their own :slight_smile:

However we as hosts have to consider that we don’t know what our guest are doing in their bedroom. Some people like to sleep with their arms outside the bed and if they do, then the duvet cover is going to get sweaty, top sheet or not.

Others (me for example) like to sleep with their feet out which can touch the duvet. Then we have to consider the guests who are making love in the bed - top sheets and the duvet are bound to get mungled up.

There are guests who put their suitcases right on the bed (be it a duvet, comforter, bedspread or whatever) to unpack. Who knows where that suitcase has been? I remember a guest who was so delighted with the look of our comfy bed and leapt upon it straight away - with his shoes on. This is why in the nineties that good hotels started using white bedspreads.

These are just a few of the reasons that I launder everything on the bed - even after one night stays.

I fully understand from this discussion that American hosts aren’t accustomed to duvets, but you will have guests from other countries who expect - rightly - a clean duvet cover.

PS. Thanks to this discussion, I am now leaving a top sheet in the linen closet - just in case :slight_smile:

5 Likes

lol I don’t think we’re talking about the same thing. All the situations you describe are answered by the standard duvet practice in Europe. Duvet covers are always changed between guests. The very fact that you say ‘some guests sleep with their arms outside the bed’ says to me… well I don’t what, really. Are you saying that you don’t wash bedding that might have had a smelly armpit on it? That’s not nice, not nice at all. Uggh. Honestly, it is SO MUCH SIMPLER to just do the duvet and cover thing. omg. I give up.

2 Likes

Absolutely! What’s more the duvet cover, bottom sheet, pillowcases and mattress topper can all go into one laundry load giving the guest a wonderfully clean bed at little cost. And changing the bed is so much easier for the host too. Win-win :slight_smile:

1 Like

LOL!! I think this subject will go on forever and ever. Two countries divided by a common language and bedding. :wink:

2 Likes

Absolutely! And don’t forget electric kettles :wink:

The ‘common language’ thing still catches me out after 22 years living in the States!b I recently had a guest in an apartment that I look after (not our own rental) who knocked on my door and said that he had inadvertently broken the can opener but intended to buy one the next day to replace it. Could I lend him one in the meantime?

I said ‘Of course, please keep it as long as you need to. I don’t plan to be opening any tins in the next few days’.

He said ‘Opening any what???’

1 Like

There are so many people that at a minimum need to read Harry Potter. I have no problems translating English to English because I read so much and love BBC TV, but if all people read is Facebook and watch MTV, then no wonder…

1 Like

Of course, the Harry Potter books that have been released in this country are NOT the same as the ones released in the UK. They have amended words like “tin” to follow the local customs. After the first book was released, my daughter went through both versions, highlighting all the changes. It was pretty fascinating.

1 Like

I listen to BBC Radio 4 every day via the internet. I imagine you’d enjoy that too.

Ooh, tell me more and where do I find it?

Search Google for ‘BBC Radio 4’. You’ll find the schedule there plus podcasts. I use it all the time on my phone when I’m cleaning the rental :slight_smile:

1 Like

Honestly, I’m kinda grossed out now by the thought that duvet covers aren’t being washed in the units I stay in…

4 Likes

Do all the places you stay in have duvet covers? Never bedspreads, quilts or comforters?

I’ve never been a wash the duvet after every guest host but after reading all the pros and cons and back and forths I am considering ditching my beautiful ethnic duvet cover and just getting some thin ones that can be more easily washed.

2 Likes

You’ve just reminded me of one of my first guests from the States who came to me, camera in hand, and asked if I had a flashlight. My son is a keen photographer so I said I’d ask him if he could find something to fit his camera. Bemused face from guest. Eventually it clicked and I said ‘oh you want a torch!’. Alarmed face from guest: 'No! i don’t want to set fire to anything! I just need to replace a small battery '. It doesn’t sound so funny when written down but it was hilarious at the time.

2 Likes

When it comes to hosting I think that washable and sturdy is always superior to unique and fancy :slight_smile:.

6 Likes