Washing duvet covers between every guest?

Oh boy do I hope you are just being sarcastic and kidding :smile:

2 Likes

British people always iron our sheets! I am horrified when I stay somewhere and they have rumpled, creased sheets. Especially if they smell strongly of some kind of spray. They just donā€™t look clean to me :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, I donā€™t. Would you kindly explain?

4 Likes

So, you donā€™t wash your linen after guests leave but you are making disparaging remarks about British hygieneā€¦ OK then. Also that is so disgusting I canā€™t even.

8 Likes

Whether jesting or not, he/she ought to realise that this is a public forum and can be read by anyone. Journalists for example. Now wouldnā€™t that make a great story? :flushed:

6 Likes

Iā€™m in Hawaii with no ac and also use a duvet year round. And always down.

1 Like

Down is simply the best :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™d like to see an explanation too. Although I canā€™t imagine that it would be satisfactory. I have a robust sense of humour but that comment isnā€™t funny, just rude.

2 Likes

Hmm, heā€™s Australian. It must be a joke

LOL! Thatā€™s the best dig at the Australian sense of humour ever! At least Iā€™m taking it that way :wink:

1 Like

Maybe there should be a designated thread where we can all rip the piss out of each otherā€™s national characteristics and the rule is no offense is allowed to be taken!

7 Likes

Just had a guest who had the worst cologne ever. Iā€™m having a migraine, because this awful smell doesnā€™t fade. Iā€™ve washed all the linens, but the smell is still everywhere. I need some fresh air!

You made me laugh because I am the same way with the cologne and lotion. Sometimes it hangs in the air for days, and itā€™s the creepiest smell since itā€™s been formulated in a laboratory to survive. What I do is take my vinegar solution and spray and wipe all the door knobs, chair arms and wherever else youā€™d imagine them to touch.

Presently Iā€™ve got a very young guy here for a week. Personal trainer. He knows my preference for no scents in the house, but he still uses the most potent smelling ā€œmoisturizerā€ with a list of ingredients that you canā€™t understand. Thankfully he puts it on just before heā€™s showered and goes out the door.

Now Iā€™m laughing (the word creepiest just describes it so well) and Iā€™m most definitely taking this vinegar tip to use! Thank you for that. Iā€™ve got to find my spray bottle at once:)!

1 Like

As a substitute teacher who often takes high school classes, I am often awash in the smell of Axe. All the teen boys think it gets girls interested. Or they are just using too much of it. Itā€™s invading the middle schools too!

4 Likes

I have an eight bedroom B&B and I wash the fitted sheet, pillowcases and duvet cover after every guest. We tried using a top sheet but most guests remove them. I would hate to sleep in unwashed bedding and I wouldnā€™t make my guests do so. Anything else is, frankly, unacceptable. These are paying guests, not friends or family, but I wouldnā€™t expect friends or family to sleep in dirty bedlinen either.

5 Likes

And that is the problem of the whole discussion.

A duvet is NOT a comforter.
Good chance that most Americans never seen a real duvet.

7 Likes

OK, Iā€™m going to set out the rules here:

If you are in the UK, other EU countries, Switzerland, Australia, South Africa etc (aka Notopsheet Nations) then you MUST wash the duvet cover after every guest. Even if you are very lazy and they were only there for one night (OK I confess to having done it. Once)

If you are in the US or any other Topsheet Nation then you are not obligated to wash the duvet/comforter/eiderdown/doony/whatever after every guest AS LONG AS the guest has not removed said top sheet. If the guest has done this, you are temporarily designated a Notopsheet Nation and must abide by the relevant rule.

Faheem, I donā€™t know where that leaves India ā€¦

13 Likes

Or the variation that I have been seeing here in my TopSheet location. The top sheet is never pulled down so it is obvious that they didnā€™t put their bodies between the bottom and top sheet, in which case the duvet cover and the bottom sheet gets washed.

It is already hard enough to get a response to ā€œwhat do you want in your room for breakfast,ā€ ā€œhow will you be arriving, by plane or car,ā€ and ā€œwhat time will you be arrivingā€ that I hate to even consider asking ā€œdo you sleep with a top sheet.ā€ Heck, based on this thread, some travelers wouldnā€™t even know what a top sheet was!

Great summary!

THIS is why I use a quilt that fits into the washing machine :smile: Itā€™s a no brainer and easy as sin. I canā€™t imagine having to wash and re-stuff a duvet cover after every guest. Itā€™s like trying to wrestle an octopus! Iā€™d have to check myself into a clinic for anger management.

7 Likes