Washing duvet covers between every guest?

I agree, with a regular duvet cover it wouldn’t be. But in my case since I use coverlets (one king, and one queen) - it would be two extra loads in between turnovers.

1 Like

I think it’s about every 6 weeks the duvet discussion comes about. The tea kettle discussion should be resurrecting itself soon…lol.

5 Likes

Very interesting Faheem. No matter how hot I must have something to cover me at night. Even a top sheet doesn’t have enough weight to put against my body. I would need at least a thin blanket over the top sheet in order to sleep comfortably.

2 Likes

I think many (most?) humans like something on top of them when they sleep. It might partly be a cultural thing. While living in India, I never used to cover myself with anything. At most a sheet. Outside India I got into the habit of a comforter or similar because it was colder. Now, back in India, I was using just a sheet for a while. Then I came across my old comforter, which I’d been using in the US for I don’t know how many years, and brought back with me for some reason. And I started using it again. Old habits die hard, I suppose. And yes, it’s comforting having something on top of you when you sleep. Perhaps that’s why they call it a comforter. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry for the silly question, but what is the difference (if any) between a duvet and a comforter?

For americans, a duvet is a plan comforter. The duvet cover is the decorative covering that goes against your skin. The cultural differences though is that duvets have different thicknesses for different times of year, and since they often don’t use a top sheet, they wash the cover when they wash other bedding.

In America, if you use a top sheet - functionally, none.

A duvet is a comforter that has no decorative pattern and fits inside a cover. And evidently, in Europe it also serves as a kind of sponge for bodily fluids and excretia.

This is not the case in America.

3 Likes

Because they are used in homes only and they don’t have to wrestle the thing back into the cover every day of the week.

It gets washed once a week, the way your sheets do, at home.

(which is, incidentally, about how often we wash ours. Sleep between the sheets people, it’s not difficult to grasp.)

2 Likes

Hehe, so the answer is different people have different definitions, but, as noted above, you might find http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/1084803/list/coverlet-duvet-quilt-comforter-whats-the-difference more useful than any particular impassioned individual’s personal bedding philosophy.

1 Like

Scent-free, chemical-free is the conscientious choice for your guests – and yourself. No Febreze, please!

Is everyone familiar with the duvet cover “burrito roll” technique of stuffing your comforter into your duvet? Works like a charm: https://www.facebook.com/MeredithShow/videos/670668423054807/

3 Likes

Agreed. It’s all the scents left behind by guests that present a problem. The entire 1300 sq. ft. of the first floor of my house currently REEKS of perfume, and the guest room is nearly unbearable. It’s too hot and humid to open the windows, so I am just hoping it goes away by the time the next guests arrive this afternoon.

2 Likes

It’s in my “house rules” and worded very nicely, “…I try to keep the house scent free, so no perfumes or lotions would be greatly appreciated…” No one seems to mind my “fussiness” about the smells, although some haven’t seen my request and show up with the most gawdawful cologne that takes days to finally fade away.

1 Like

This way is a lot easier :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I only use a bottom sheet so I have to wash the duvet cover after every guest. I did debate this with my mum and suggested using a top sheet so that I wouldn’t have to wash the cover every time, but she recoiled at the thought and said that it is going to get creased and “soften up” when people sleep in the bed, so better to ditch the top sheet and just wash the cover. My covers are basically sheet sacks anyway, so they have to be ironed every time as well. Adding a sheet is just adding more ironing!

3 Likes

I consider myself a bit of a neat freak but I am starting to think otherwise after reading all these comments. I wash the sheets, pillow cases, towels, shower curtain etc after every guest but not the duvet.

I have clean guests who strip the room and linens for me and do not include the duvet cover. I worked in house keeping one summer as a teen-ager and they did not wash the top blanket or that prickly fuzzy like hotel blanket (only sheets). If I have a guest staying a week or 3-4 days once they check out, I will wash the duvet along with everything else but for these 1 nighters… Nope! Dealing with a duvet cover is a huge pain in the butt!
I still maintain a 5* rating and super host status so I must be doing something right.

4 Likes

Tea kettle? :joy:

Electric kettle or just jug

“Pop the jug on” :wink:

2 Likes

Don’t wash the duvet cover! I used to ask my guests to strip the bed and leave the sheets etc on the washing machine and once someone who stayed one night stripped the duvet cover as well and with that and the towels and 2 other single beds it took me 7 loads to do the laundry which with my washer/dryer which takes 5 hours to do a 4.5kg load it took well over a day. So now I just tell them to leave everything unmade on the bed. My guilty secret: if people book late and are getting a discount for late booking then I don’t bother changing the sheets and pillowcases either.

1 Like

Tip: do not iron sheets, therein lies the path to madness!

3 Likes

I picked up using duvets in the UK where I used a top sheet. I wouldn’t be asking an English person for tips on personal hygiene, if you know what I mean.

:astonished:
(Post must have at least 20 characters)