Washing duvet covers between every guest?

I love guests who make the bed. That way I can easily scan for stains. Of course I don’t ask them to make their bed…lol.

But if they remove the sheets then I have to waste time trying to lay the sheets back out, and putting the fitted sheet back on. I ask all guests not to strip bed sheets.

2 Likes

I think there are equal numbers of non-washers. You should not be pressured, just do what seems logical based on the reading and your own situation. I think each side has made their case clearly.

2 Likes

We’re talking about whether duvet covers should be washed if there is a top sheet underneath.

I too am a member of the gross camp where I do not wash my coverlets in between every guest. Basically all of my guests are Americans, so I figure they already know the deal - at least I think most Americans know hotels do not wash their comforters/bedspreads between every guest.

I guess I will have to call my mom and ask her what her knowledge is of hotel bedspreads. I’ll report back…lol.

1 Like

I think one should ask oneself what one would like to have happen if one was the guest. And I’m leaning heavily in the “wash everything” direction. I wouldn’t mind, except with the 1 night stays it can seem like a lot of washing.

1 Like

I haven’t been giving people a top sheet. I’m familar with the concept, but it seems like overkill. I seem to be getting quite a lot of Americans - my current guests are American. Maybe I should ask them what they expect.

Does that make me super gross? :slight_smile:

I have 85% one nighters and a very reasonable rate. Given that Americans know and expect the top sheet to be against their skin and that the top layer (bedspread, quilt, duvet, etc.) is not washed each time, I’m going to continue as I have.

I suspect that’s the problem here - the ‘what we’re calling it’ thing. It seems that some people are referring to bedspreads and comforters (and I don’t know exactly what they are) and others mean a proper duvet. The two are completely different.

4 Likes

If you are providing a standard duvet with duvet cover (and no top sheet)…then yes you must wash the duvet covers between each guest. The same as you would wash the pillow cases and fitted sheet in between the guests.

But if there is a top sheet between the guest and the duvet/duvet covers then you can use your discretion. Some hosts still find it extremely gross to not wash the duvet covers. Others find it acceptable.

I would need to see some evidence that it appears the guest did stay in between the top sheet and fitted sheet. If everything was all bunched up in the middle of the bed, then I would wash it all and assume guest used the duvet in the manner it was intended (against their skin).

1 Like

Would anyone care to describe what these different things are? The ones I have are fairly thin blanket-like things, filled with some kind of synthetic stuff, I think. Would a photo help?

Another thing for me, and now I’m thinking I shouldn’t have, is that I put an expensive duvet ($150) cover. It’s bright, ethnic colors go with my theme. The thin, inexpensive IKEA duvets could easily be washed each time but I’m afraid frequent washing will fade it.

Fair enough. Though the “duvets” always appear completely clean and unused, unlike the bedsheet and pillow covers. Currently I think we’re washing the duvet covers every other guest.

I guess I could provide a top sheet. But then, of course, I wouldn’t know who is using it.

So, do Americans normally use a top sheet then? And what about other people, like Europeans and Asians? I’ve used a duvet/comforter in various places, but never with a top sheet.

Sure…everyone would like everything possible cleaned for their arrival…even a one night stay. But keep in mind what you are charging per night. If someone had to pay a housekeeper for every single one night stay to do another load of laundry, you need to add that to your nightly rate. Also, the electricity, etc. for another load every time. It’s not free. Plus the wear and tear needs to be factored in. I haven’t found an oversized King duvet that is at a reasonable price point. So I have chosen to use coverlets. And I couldn’t imagine washing a coverlet several times a week and expecting it to last.

1 Like

That’s great to know, I’ve never been in an American hotel, so I never saw a duvet with a cover + a top sheet. When I will visit USA, I will know it (that duvet + their covers are supposed to be what we use as “bedcovers” or “blankets” - and we don’t wash between every guest). I’m in Europe, so I saw that between close countries there are differences in making beds! (i.e. in many places in Greece they “unmake” your bed when they clean the room: they fold it and put on the bed’s feet, that’s a bit annoying because I make my bed in the morning and I found it “unmade”) :smiley:

In my home, I like duvet because they’re much easier to “make” the room :smiley:

I’ve read somewhere that here in Europe it’s just a “cultural stuff”: in the south they use sheets + wool blankets, in the north duvets (and no other blankets, but of course bottom sheets and duvet covers)

1 Like

Huh? That’s what the cleaning fee is for.

Stop…just stop…lol! Please post a pic. What do you mean the “duvets” always appear clean and unused??

You just said that you don’t provide a top sheet. What are your guests covering themselves with?

Right…but you would need to raise your cleaning fee.

It takes me a minimum of 5 hours to clean the place between guests. And that’s not getting every single blind dusted, every nightstand pulled out from the wall, every ceiling fan blade cleaned, and so many other things that I just can’t get done in between guests.

So if I were to do a complete deep clean then either guests need to check in later or check out later. Or I need to charge more for cleaning and hire someone to work alongside me.

@faheem

@laVale

Maybe everyone needs to take a moment to review definitions [edited, I found a link I like better than wikipedia]

1 Like

What I said. The duvet covers never show any signs of use.

I don’t know. It’s possible they’re not covering themselves with anything. It’s pretty warm here most of the time. And the room has A/C. IMO you don’t really need a cover at all. And in fact I initially didn’t have any covers. But the first and second guests asked for it, and so I went out and got some blankets/duvets/whatever we’re calling them.

I like it when the guests make the bed because the room looks clean and orderly for other guests in the other room walking by until I have a chance to make it up.

1 Like

I’m never going to get the hang of this!

Regarding laundry, it isn’t an extra load. The duvet cover, being a thinner material, takes up about the same space in the washer as a top sheet :slight_smile:

2 Likes