Washing duvet covers between every guest?

I wash duvets about once a month. The duvets not going to get dirty if you out a top sheet on. It goes bottom sheet fitted, top sheet flat, then duvet cover I only wash the sheets everytime

1 Like

Close to 40% of my guests do not sleep under the top sheet. They sleep with the duvet cover touching them. Are your guests that different?

Do you know that they don’t sit on the duvet naked before and/or after their showers? Or don’t place their suitcases that have come from filthy train stations and airports on top of the bed?

4 Likes

The duvet cover washing discussion never dies, it just fades away.

5 Likes

That is terrible. It’s akin to not washing the pillowcases every time.

4 Likes

The top sheet discussion in the news

1 Like

:slight_smile:

The internet is full of all sorts of nonsense. The fact is that if Airbnb hosts don’t wash the duvet cover, fitted sheet, pillowcases etc. etc. etc. after every guest then Airbnb is going to have a really bad reputation!

1 Like

I certainly started looking at comforters differently as well …if easy to change and wash duvet covers don’t get washed, heck …you can only wonder what happens to those and who else was sitting on them …

1 Like

Amen sister. I spend more money on my sheets than on duvet covers or the down comforters I insert into them. I wouldn’t think of laying underneath a scratchy, generally low thread count or microfiber duvet cover.

And moreover–oh yes they don’t–hotels in the US, including the 4 and 5 star ones, absolutely do NOT wash their bedspreads/duvet covers/comforters/decorative pillows/pillow shams etc. on the reg. I would not ever think of being skin to skin with these “community” linens. LOL.

To each their own…some things are universal but in this instance I guess what side of the pond you are from DOES matter!!! :roll_eyes:

First world problems.

1 Like

I don’t find the guest sleeps properly under the top sheet. Their body touches the duvet cover so it gets washed every time. I gave up on having a top sheet, no point.

2 Likes

I saw an Airbnb review recently where the guest complained that there was no top sheet at their Airbnb.

Living in a hot climate a top sheet is an absolute necessity for me. In a hot location I like a cool room with light covers. My own bed has only sheets, no duvet, no blankets in the summer. Sometimes only a single sheet covering me is what’s needed. If I had only a bottom/fitted sheet and a duvet to cover with I’d be uncomfortable. So how a bed is outfitted will depend on the individual Airbnb.

A host is unlikely to go wrong providing a top sheet.

@jaquo @eliel
The ease of duvet stuffing is very much dependent on the height of the stuffer. At 5’1”, inserting the down comforter 2’ wider than my arms strectch is an all but impossible task.
I triple sheet with a light weight foam fuzzy blanket, leave a cotton blanket at the foot of the bed in the spring and summer and the duvet folde in the winter.
The blankets/duvet cover get washed every few guests unless a stain is spotted. I do use a lint roller on everything.

Somewhere on this forum, a host reprted that she had worked in housekeeping at the 4 Seasons and they did not wash the blankets after each guest. If memory serves, they changed out every 5 guests.

1 Like

I am the same, in a hot climate I prefer just a top sheet, hopefully 100% cotton! Sometimes I spray it a little to cool it. In this situation I find hosts put blankets and duvets in the cupboard only to be used if needed. In my cool climate I have top sheets in the cupboard just in case we have a heatwave. I think it unlikely a top sheet and a duvet would be needed at the same time, unless you were trying to extend the.laundry time of the duvet cover which I don’t think works as guests touch the duvet anyway.

Sharing your climate, :wink:, I started off a year ago with lightweight duvets, with the intention of swapping them in the winter for warmer ones. With good central heating, controllable in each room by guests, I didn’t need the winter ones in the end.

When I lived in Bahrain, all of us used to sleep with the A/C on in winter, under a heavy duvet. Electricity was very cheap in those days!

It’s similar with my central heating - only a light duvet required. However I also have bedspreads and blankets as an option. There are a few guests like me who want no heating in the bedroom in winter! The house is as dry and draught free as I can manage with a Victorian house, and the heat rising from downstairs is enough for the temperate blooded. I also make sure all the thermostatic radiator valves are working so guests can adjust.

I loathe it when people sleep with the heating on and the windows closed, even when they go out for the day. The smell when turning the room over is ghastly. I’d rather they had the radiator on and the window open.

1 Like

Yep there’s something really fusty about a heated sealed room. Hold the nose, run over to open the window, shut the door, go down for a cuppa then go back up to clean lol.

I always wash the duvet cover as I know some people sleep on top of the flat sheet instead of under it so if I think if they happen to sleep naked, they’ll be touching the duvet cover.
I’d like to think if I was staying anywhere, the duvet would be freshly laundered.
I always iron my bedding too as I like how it looks on the bed.
I once stayed in an airbnb in spain & the bedding was horrible. Scratchy and really really wrinkled.
It ruined the whole look of what was a lovely room for me.

I was so puzzled by this when I read it earlier so when I changed the duvet cover on my own bed this afternoon, I did so with the aid of a tape measure. Bizarre I know, but I was mystified.

Admittedly I am taller - 5’6".

My ‘arm stretch’ is 60" and I need it to be 2"more than that (if I’m understanding correctly. But I measured the duvet cover and it’s 105" x 90"

So I don’t get it? Sorry!

omg the duvet/comforter debate rages on, yay!

I’m with jacquo in puzzlement at this comment. You just insert and flick the damn thing, even a child can do it. Unless you mean some American type heavy duty thingie?

Never mind duvet covers… I’ve been co-hosting for a while now and just discovered that one of the hosts doesn’t bother to change bathmats between guests. Another one actually told me that my standards were too high and the kitchen “only needs to be properly cleaned after every other guest”.