Washing duvet covers between every guest?

Oh, I have to post a link - sorry!

1 Like

Your arm span is your heightā€¦standard measure to know.

Well there are always outliers, but generally this is pretty accurate.

And wrestling a comforter into a cover is more than my life is worthā€¦I am not tall enough to hold it up and shake the stuffing straight either.

I could get a ladder, but I would probably fall off. I use a 6ā€™ friend to help me with it every few guests.

Luckily, or not, I dont have many people during the cold weather which is why my summer calendar is so important to me.

2 Likes

I grew up with down comforters which were pulled up on top of sheets and blankets. There was no cover and they were never washed. Possibly gross, but we did not live in bedā€¦covered, slept and got upā€¦the eiderdown was folded at the end of the bed.
It probablywent outin the sun, but I dont remember.

Was that in the US? We just had duvets and a bottom sheet, thatā€™s all. So thatā€™s what I still do.

Itā€™s interesting to see these old threads and read what I was doing 2 years ago. One thing I do with duvet covers here in the summer is take the filled duvet out. So my top layer is a duvet cover that acts as a thin, easy to wash and dry bedspread of sorts. If Iā€™m not using that I have an plain white IKEA bedspread or a multicolored sanded cotton sheet that acts as a bedspread. How many layers are on the bed depends on how cold it is. Since I live in a very temperate climate I only have to use a quilt or duvet a few months a year. If I had to put the duvet in and and out of the cover every night year round for my mostly one night stays, I just wouldnā€™t. And Iā€™d still have 100% 5 stars for cleanliness.

2 Likes

Without this thread I would have never thought for a minute to supply a top sheet for use with the duvet. I still donā€™t on the bed itself but I have a plain top sheet in the linen closet of both apartments so that guests can help themselves if they want to.

Iā€™ve seen them used very very rarely and Iā€™ve no way of knowing if theyā€™ve been used in conjunction with the duvet or instead of it (the climate here being more or less year-round warm).

1 Like

Sorry, but duvets by design, are meant for both cold and hot weather. They are meant to keep you warm when its cold out and cool you off when its hot out. And no, its not what North Americans call a comforter. 2 different things!:slight_smile:

And I apologize for resurrecting the dinosaur of a thread!

2 Likes

Pretty similar actually. Comforter is larger whereas a duvet usually goes to the edge of the bed and itā€™s got a removable cover.

RESISTā€¦IMPEACH

Absolutely! I wash all bedding, sheets, all pillow cases and duvet covers at every change over. Throws and bed runners I tend to wash every few days. People are paying money to stay at my place and I wouldnā€™t expect anything less if I were paying to stay.

Its the ironing I hate :sob:

2 Likes

Yeah exactly, I would consider not washing everything that comes into contact with a personā€™s body a hygiene risk. We wash everything too at our local laundromat to reduce wear and tear on washing machine.

Thereā€™s no way my feather duvet is getting anywhere near me in the Summer! Itā€™s boiling,! I use a thin 1 tog cotton filled, cotton covered duvet which is much cooler, or just a sheet.

@Jess1 _- I know from other posts that you and I are never going to agree about temperature but I use a duvet here in South Florida all year round with no AC - just a fan. :sunny:

1 Like

Ha ha. My feather duvet is so hot, itā€™s unheated bedroom in the British winter only lol. Mind you in the Summer I feel like my own skin is too hot. (Itā€™s not hormonal, Iā€™ve always been like it - Scottish blood so antifreeze in the veins.)
I just got a new Meaco fan. Itā€™s Ā£100 and the very quietest, most powerful thing. Fantastic for sleeping. Itā€™s got great reviews and many people think itā€™s better than the Dyson at several times the price.

1 Like

You do use a duvet then, just a lightweight one! I have two as well. There are as many levels of duvets as there are people almost. The thin cool ones and the hot ones. My partner and I both think of hot and cold very, very differently! Heā€™s wearing shorts when I have wool socks on!

@Jess1 Iā€™ve been looking for a 1 tog Summer duvet ā€¦ care to share where you bought it?

I bought the 1 tog on Amazon about 18 months ago. I was careful to go for a 100% cotton filled one. Itā€™s very thin but is satisfyingly heavy, and enables you to make the bed properly.

Apparently the Scandinavians sometimes have 2 single quilts on a king size bed. Makes sense.

I do my bed with 2 duvets too. Love it.
And when I travel w/ Hubby ( in 5 star hotels ) I have the staff remake the bed that way for me.
Just returned from Dominican Republicā€¦had the hotel provide 2 duvets folded side by side.
Best way to sleep.

DO HOTELS CLEAN THE BEDSPREADS AFTER EACH STAY