US democracy under threat

My first post in this topic was in response to your misguided assertion that members here have to post about Airbnb and hosting only. If you see that as ‘political’ then we obviously live in different worlds.

3 Likes

Travel has slowed down due to covid, not politics and that has only happened since March. I cannot fathom why you would have felt unsafe to travel for the past four years. My husband and I went to Lapland last January and everything was fine. We have not seen any slowdown in our business except when covid first came out. Luckily things have returned to normal. I could see a discussion on politcs if it affected travel, but the original thread was about the protest at the capitol. It was out of context as far as what this forum is about.

Under what authority do you get to say what anyone else here “should” say or not say?

Nor has anyone here expressed any hatred. They have expressed shock and outrage and sadness that a bunch of white-supremacist yahoos, who are the ones filled with hate were allowed to breach the Capitol and that lives were lost because of it.

5 Likes

I’m going to keep my mouth shut here, else I’ll be looking for not just WiFi on the naughty step, but a coffee machine and Netflix :joy:

JF

7 Likes

People who show up to an insurrection with nooses, t-shirts saying “Auschwitz”, carrying Confederate flags are the ones with ‘hatred’. The people in our group are, for the most part, appalled by the political situation brought on by the ‘clown in chief’. And for years we have been subject to his travel restrictions and mandates - it DOES affect airbnb hosts, as well as guests.

We are more than airbnb hosts - we are human beings who have been forced to deal with minority rule and a ‘leader’ who believes in conspiracy theories and turmoil. We look forward to a USA that is again welcoming and happy. That’s happening soon - and our businesses, and blood pressure, will soon be normal.

15 Likes

And a duvet and kettle and hot tub for your long-term stay!

4 Likes

Because this is not a political forum. Take your political anger somewhere else.

Don’t like it…SCROLL ON BY!
Don’t dictate to an open forum what people can or can’t do here.
In the words of my neighbours cheeky son…
“Who died and made you the boss?”

7 Likes

I did travel elsewhere in the world over those 4 years.
My husband had multiple business events and conferences we could have attended in the US but did not because of the political situation and I know of many others who made the same choices.

5 Likes

I’m so confused.
Why is someone who is neither a forum owner nor moderator, and an occasional poster, “host-splaining” what is supposed to be or not supposed to be discussed by forum members?
If a U.S. resident, would this poster also be against freedom of speech provisions of the U.S. Constitution First Amendment? (Duly noted that the forum is private and not subject to the First Amendment regardless of where it originates.)
Hmmm, just scratching my head here.

9 Likes

It is just common sense and common courtesy not to get into politics on a forum not meant for it. It achieves nothing but animosity.

1 Like

So I have to be a forum owner or moderator to explain to you that political talk on a non political forum is both rude and provacative? I thought your mother brought you up better than that.

1 Like

This site is a community. We are discussing an appalling and important situation in the US that could impact hosts here and possibly worldwide if the incoming government doesn’t restore control and respect.

If you don’t care to participate, then click away. Scroll on. No one is making you read this clearly labeled political content thread. Learn to use site settings to shield yourself from being exposed to thoughts you find disagreeable.

11 Likes

@Waterforest You are still wrong; the the domestic terrorism that killed 5 in Washington DC Wednesday and the continued political unrest as we approach 1/20/21 (inauguration day) affects travel and bookings

Unless you are the owner of this forum or can point to a forum rule that is being violated, do NOT dictate what others choose to discuss.

If that is not acceptable go back to Parler (while its still available) and plan your next insurrection.

PS for every reply you give in defense of yourself, the more you are using this forum to contradict yourself.

11 Likes

Bars are for serving drinks. Restaurants are for serving meals. Pubs are for drinking beer. But I’ll bet that inside any that are open at this time, anywhere in the world, there are ‘political’ conversations taking place.

Edit: And yes, as anyone in the travel industry can attest, for the last four years tourism to the US has been dropping. This includes Airbnb guests. Until that time, the majority of my guests were from abroad - Europe, the UK, Canada, Australia, Russia, China - and I’ve hardly had any since that time. Even Amnesty International was warning people a couple of years ago that travel to the US was not advised because of gun crime.

7 Likes

I think you’re mixed up again, Waterforest. If you knew my mother, you’d know she raised me to be open to all kinds of discourse and engagement. But also to know when to stop wasting my time. Hope you find peace and well-being.

7 Likes

@Waterforest

Wanted to alert you that “ZipTies guy” and HIS MOTHER have been arrested. Because the family that coup’ s together gets jailed together.

7 Likes

It’s a forum. Where the members can discuss anything they choose unless the moderators deem it against policy. You aren’t a moderator, you don’t own the site, and therefore you have zero authority to dictate what is discussed. What part of that don’t you understand?

The only animosity shown here towards other posters has been from you. Did you participate in the riot or support it or its followers? It would seem so.

And if you don’t think US politics affects US tourism, you’re living under a rock. Not only does it affect tourism in the US, it affects how Americans are viewed when they travel to other countries.

9 Likes

waterforest
you should stay on parler.
oh,
I forgot its been closed by us that are rightfully outraged at an event they assisted in. There must be somewhere that there are folks who agree with you about our format or politics, sorry just not here. Be sure to seek out and host the nazis when they need a bed. Educated and open minded people can read you / your comments very clearly.

8 Likes

Hello @Waterforest

I’m not quite sure why you decided to bring anger and conflict into my thread which was posted in sympathy for US hosts over the appalling events that happened in what I presume is your country in recent days.

Most decent ordinary folk would be appalled at the needless loss of life and the desecration of your senate by a rag tag collection of rights wing zealots egged on by the man who has been charged with running the country.

Of course this is an issue that has affected hosts. If you truly believe that tourism to your country hasn’t been affected by what tourism experts and economists call ‘the trump effect’ with huge decreases in international visitors long before Covid, during his presidency you must be dreaming .

And now you will have millions more that will be reluctant to visit a country where right wing terrorists can so easily strike at your heart of government.

13 Likes