Urine soaked through the mattress pad

Go for it! You can be honest without revealing embarrassing details or making assumptions.

1 Like

You need a separate cover not just against liquid stains but to protect against bed bugs etc.

Many years ago we rented a flat in Paris, our first time visiting and the kids bed was soaked with urine, spots every, we didn’t mention as we were so overwhelmed by every thing else, we just put our daughter on the sofa. But I wonder if maybe the hosts or other guests didn’t even notice and the cleaning crew just put new sheets on. Now in my life, nothing surprises me, I have a relative staying with me, and when I asked him to switch bedrooms, I looked at the bed at disbelief, I have no idea what he left on the mattress, it looks like he had a pet, but he didn’t not have a pet. Sorry, I’m no help, just mentioning that I really have no idea what goes on in the beds of some people. Recommend getting a plastic protector as I did, even for family members.

The guest who booked has replied to my message saying that it was not the bedroom that he and his wife stayed in and that it was an adult couple who used the bed. He has assured me that he will do what it takes to remedy the problem. Now I really don’t know what to do. He is a great guest but now knows not to take his friend with him again.

Yes, that is what I have. Thank you!

Hmm. Adult couple+urine near the head of the bed could = kinky sex games. No telling what people are into.

2 Likes

Then it shouldn’t have soaked through

Add “probably beer” 20202020

Contract a cleaner like Oxifresh. Get it cleaned. Send him bill (probably $150) & see what happens.

Most of us simply don’t have the right tools to deep clean a mattress

Just buy one of those waterproof mattress encasements and seal in the stain and the smell. :upside_down_face:

I’m kidding of course, but you should install them on all of your mattresses before something happens. Modern mattress protectors are not the terrible crinkly plastic of decades ago.

I thought that’s what I had on my beds but I’ve learned a lot from all of you today.

Re #3 bear in mind that you must start the process before any another guest checks in.

1 Like

Yes, I believe the OP and I are aware that he needs to file the claim right away. He’s doing that.

1 Like

You need a new mattress.

And a waterproof zippered bed bug resistant mattress condom.

RR

2 Likes

I am sorry that this happened to you, but please give a honest review as it will help other hosts how much risk they are willing to accept.

1 Like

There is a cost for that, about $600 for a new mattress and an honest review.

The review should mention the guests guest caused the damage. Not fair to label the booking guest as a bedwetter

RR

1 Like

My first thought was that it could be someone who was trying to find the bathroom in their sleep in unfamiliar surrounds. Long, drive, tired, not quite realising where they were… No intend to do this, but a ‘sleep-accident’. Obviously, they are still liable. And should have told you about this. But how do you say: I accidentally wet your bed - as an adult? This would be a sensitive and unpleasant topic for most. So a sensitive approach to communication regarding this ‘accident’ may be required. All the best

1 Like

I had a guest whose friend (20-30 year old) left the bed in a huge yellow puddle. And just covered it all up with the doona. It soaked through the mattress topper, the mattress protector (not waterproof) and well into the mattress. It had to have been the whole four day stay. He gave me his friend’s contact details and he (the friend) was so embarrassed. He paid the replacement of everything. He had a problem obviously.

1 Like

How could urine or any bodily fluid get through a fully vinyl-encased mattress cover and pillow covers? If you don’t have these things on your bed, consider the entire thing a bio-hazard. Urine, feces, sex fluids, blood, bugs of all kinds. This is what’s on and in your mattress if you don’t cover it with plastic or vinyl. Don’t you remember the vinyl-covered mattresses in college you could just wipe-off with a rag? Live and learn. Throw that one away and buy a new one and spend the money for a high-quality full enclosure zip-up vinyl mattress pad. I put another high-quality mattress pad on top of it and the guest can’t hear or feel a difference.

2 Likes

I see lots home cleaning remedies and recommendations for mattress replacement and charging.

Most times a professional upholstery/carpet/ furniture cleaning company can successfully clean this which is much cheaper than a new mattress

1 Like