Urine soaked through the mattress pad

I had a guest last weekend that booked for 4 adults. There was not much communication , but some people aren’t good at that so I didn’t think much of it. When they left and I got to my condo to clean, I noticed that urine was on one of the beds at the head of it. It had soaked through the mattress pad, and they had apparently tried to clean it up somewhat with my white towels. Two days later, I am still working on the stain. If I had had another guest coming that afternoon, I would have been in a real bind. Surprisingly, they left a review. I am in a quandary about how to review. I have a no pet policy, but can’t guarantee that it was a pet. They did not mention they were bringing children. What to do???

3 Likes

I would recommend leaving an honest review and mentioning the urine incident because urine issues are usually solved by replacing the mattress, which is costly. I suggest you use a plastic mattress cover to protect it from other accidents.

To me it sounds like they had a pet. My cats like sleeping at the top part of the bed, near my head and shoulders. I can tell you that cat urine is almost impossible to cover up. They do sell urine neutralizer sprays at pet stores that might provide you with a temporary fix but in the long run, you should probably replace the mattress.

For now turn the mattress so that urine spot is at the end of the bed, at guest’s feet.

3 Likes

Do you have children on a camera? Adults can wet a bed.

1. Communicate with the guest and tell them you found the urine soaking the mattress and that you wish they had told you at the time of the accident.
  2. If you have to buy a new mattress, which I would because ick, they will have to pay for it.
  3. Use the Air process to file a claim on the mattress
  4. Review the guest honestly. Deduct stars for communication and cleanliness.
    5. IMPORTANT: Buy a waterproof mattress cover from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2G9VFM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I live in Florida and this one doesn’t make the people sweaty and sticky.
5 Likes

It’s completely impossible to cover up. New mattress for sure.

3 Likes

I thought I had waterproof mattress covers. I have had cats and know about the stench, but this doesn’t smell like cat urine although there is no way to know. Thank you for your input!

2 Likes

I have a cat, we’ve had many cats. Believe me, you would know.

New mattress. New waterproof covers. Charge them through the Resolution Center.

ICK.

1 Like

Please review them honestly! However, do remember that no-one wets the bed deliberately. It could have been an honest accident. The cat theory is possible but in my experience of cats, not really likely.

Was there any evidence of a pet when you checked when they’d left? Any pet hairs, stray grains of cat litter etc? If there is, then you can write in the review that the stains were probably made by an undisclosed animal. Many hosts who do not allow pets will be grateful to know that.

1 Like

I did not see any evidence of a cat or any other animal. I have filed a claim, as I have cleaned 3 times and still cannot remove the stain/odor. However, I have not submitted a review because I’m not sure what should be mentioned.

I think that most hosts would want to know about the urine thing. What many guests don’t think about is that if we’re alerted to problems such as this, we can deal with them promptly which usually means less damage.

So I would also like to know that the guests didn’t alert you to the problem.

If it wasn’t a pet then I’m sure that the reason they said nothing was embarrassment. I would mention in the review that they didn’t alert you but I’d also be inclined to say that the damage could have been caused by an undisclosed pet.

These are things that your fellow hosts really need to know.

2 Likes

Yes, I planned to mention it but simply didn’t know how without being rude or accusatory. They have had 3 5 star reviews and I know how I would feel if my run of 5 stars was altered.

Honestly, please don’t worry about that. What matters is warning other hosts.

7 Likes

Thank you for your input~

Leaving a urine soaked mattress should not give these guests a fourth ‘5 star’ review. Reminder that reviews are for other hosts; your dishonesty would be hurtful to every host that reads the review and takes them as guests - and that may be many hosts.

7 Likes

I can tell that you’re a kind hearted person but they ruined your mattress. They were not kind hearted so please don’t feel guilty about giving them a 3 star review.

4 Likes

Beer maybe? Stinky. Similar colored stain. (I like beer so no judgement)

I’ve used a carpet/upholstery cleaning service Oxifresh (USA national company) to clean a mattress. Worked well. Not cheap but cheaper than a new mattress.

2 Likes

You could try covering the stain with baking soda for few days.

Be careful how you word the review (I agree with others that it needs to be mentioned). Mention of bodily fluids can be grounds to get the review removed.

Speak to it as some unknown wet substance soaked through the mattress pad which ruined the mattress, as the stain and odor couldn’t be removed.

1 Like

“Guests were pleasant but unfortunately did not alert us to spills that stained the furnishings, requiring replacement. We are always happy to assist with mishaps and accidents, with notice given in a timely manner so we can remedy the situation and avoid permanent damage.”

10 Likes

Yes, I understand. And as a host I would want the same courtesy.

Do you mind if I quote you? Not mentioning you of course!

I have used a vinegar/water solution with baking soda added for 8 hour periods. I’m in the third round.

1 Like