Urine soaked through the mattress pad

This is so tactful. I need to save your wording. Hopefully will not need it, but so we’ll worded if necessary.

1 Like

I’d contact them and ask. I’d also ask them to pay for the damage. If they say no I would tell all in the review. If they pay to fix the problem then give them 5 stars. There are sone honest people in the world. Who knows…?

3 Likes

Thanks for your positivity Cliff! I did notify my guest and he was more than willing to pay for damages. Imagine his position when he brings a guest and they make a mess but it falls back on him. When I asked this question on the forum, your positive yet helpful response is what I hoped for. He did receive five stars!

2 Likes

Having once owned a carpet/upholstery cleaning business I would say no. Same with carpet. The best you get is the illusion of clean.

RR

4 Likes

Ur dishonesty would cost other innocent hosts . Pa review them honestly. So many hosts lost 5 stars because guest found one small mistake. Yours is a big issue . I know peo getting drunk and destroying properties and peeing on beds . Just be honest .

2 Likes

Like the old saying goes, “it’s not the crime - it’s the cover-up.”

I would send them a message privately and explain that you discovered the urine - and their attempts to clean it up - and you will be asking for reimbursement. (I would probably throw out those towels, too.)

Honestly, people do have accidents. Had they been upfront I would have been tempted to charge them for half the cost of the mattress.

2 Likes

You would throw out towels because they had urine on them? That’s pretty strange. If parents of toddlers threw out the kid’s clothes every time the kid had an accident, they’d be buying new kid clothes every week. Aside from something you can’t wash, like the mattress, urine just washes out. And urine is also sterile, believe it or not.

5 Likes

Well…
When it is inside you, and maybe at the moment it comes out of you but after exposure to air it gets ripe. Pee in a jar and check it in a week if you need proof…

Lol

RR

1 Like

Oh yeah, I know that. I’ve had times I peed in a pail. Gets ripe quick. But towels with urine in them can just be washed.

Put in a claim for a replacement matress.
I photograph everything to cover myself against issues.
Matress,duvet,carpet,beside cabinets etc etc
And photos of prepared room.
Tedious I know.
It pays to do this as I have claimed against a few guests who have marked or damaged items that simply using drinks coasters or not peeing on the carpet in the night have caused.*
Leaving a note stating you spilt some water is not the same as urine.
Most guests are awesome,issue do happen though.
They damaged it,they pay for it.

2 Likes

Accidents happen, but if they do guests should certainly inform hosts and offer to help. They knew it had happened because they made an attempt to clean it up. I would leave a review saying that it is important hosts know about these accidents because we have to make it ok for the next guest who could be arriving in a matter of hours. Also, buying a new mattress will probably wipe out any profit.

That’s pretty strange, eh? All I know is that DNA can be extracted from washed garments. A washing machine doesn’t destroy it. And cat urine - if it is cat and not human - is one of the hardest smells to remove. For the price of a towel I wouldn’t risk it. Yes, fabric diapers can be washed, but I also wouldn’t have a guest put their face on it.

1 Like

I had a couple and the 40-ish year old woman had her time of the month unexpectedly…fortunately I had a good mattress cover but the sheets, blankets bedspread were soaked. She was very embarrassed.

My input is if it a person has a biological malfunction, bladder issues, time of month issues, just got the flu and puke is everywhere, it’s something for an insurance claim but not the guest’s fault. A pet with no pet deposit or a pet that’s snuck in is another matter and is on the guest if you can prove it.

Also, I have two waterproof mattress covers for each bed for these situations in case there is a turnover on the day the prior guest is leaving.

Sorry that happened to you.

1 Like

My kids call it TOM, Tom is an asshole.

RR

1 Like

I guess we differ here. As a guest, if I “puked everywhere” or had another issue that ruined someone’s property I would 100% let them know immediately and pay for professional cleaning or replacement. Same thing I would do for a friend! It’s just the right thing to do whether intentional or not. And no homeowner’s insurance is going to cover a guest peeing on a mattress (plus there’s usually a hefty deductible).

3 Likes

I have all my mattresses covered in a plastic zip closed mattress protector. I still use a mattress pad on top of that and then the sheet. So there are two layers between the sheet and the mattress. We also use mattresses we can flip and turn. We buy ours from Sam’s Club.

1 Like

That sucks… :/. It doesn’t matter if it was a dog, an adult, or a baby…it was on their watch so obviously ‘they’ did it. I recently had damage done to my property and messaged the guest and Airbnb right away. If you can get it cleared up before the 14 days, then you could wait till then to decide whether you want to leave a review or not… I had substantial damage done, the guest paid for all of it, I did not leave a review because I wouldn’t rent to them again, but he did take care of the bill.

You leave reviews for future hosts to be aware of your experience- and sounds like this one was very negative. Wouldn’t it have been better if you had seen a review of this guest mentioning property damage so you could have avoided?

2 Likes

All hosts should leave honest reviews every time. We don’t have many tools to try to limit bad guest behavior and while even reviews aren’t much, it’s all we have. I like to think that hosts that don’t leave reviews get karmic justice by getting the bad guests. I always leave reviews and in over 1000 guests have only had about 5 small problems.

2 Likes

“I didn’t leave a review because I don’t care about warning other hosts of bad guests.”

There, I fixed it for you.

In the case of a guest who did damage but was forthcoming with compensation, I would say exactly that in a review- that they caused damage, but paid for it.

3 Likes